Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Who road races a turbo b18 ek

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who road races a turbo b18 ek

As the title says who out there is road racing a ek civic with a b18 turbo?
The reason I ask is I do circuit racing in the UK and I keep having issues with manifolds cracking and wrapped flanges. I'm in the market for a new manifold and turbo so looking for feed back on what people are using
Old 08-21-2018, 03:21 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: Who road races a turbo b18 ek

What manifold style and brand have you been using?

Shorter runner length such as a tubular log style, or even a cast manifold would be the most durable option, but you need one from a good quality fab shop.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of manifolds have you run? Do you run any bracing on the manifold or downpipe? Do you run a flexpipe on the downpipe?

I run a custom mini ram on a b16 without bracing. I have not had any issues with the manifold itself, but I've gone through many turbo stud/nut setups till I found the one that would not loosen after multiple track days. Previous bolts would stretch and locking nuts would come undone. Inconel studs with stage 8 locking nuts are the way to go.
https://www.flyinmiata.com/stage-8-h...nel-studs.html

I also have to safety wire the wastegate bolts and run one of these with safety wire on the 5 bolt flange:
T3 Turbo 5 Bolt to V Band Adapter- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

If I were in your shoes and needed a new setup I would look for a vband manifold with vband turbo. Then use quality clampco clamps. That way you avoid the whole mess of stretching bolts, locking nuts and safety wire.

Last edited by 90civichbsi; 08-21-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input guys. So far I have only ever used ramhorn style manifold with bracing in the manifold and large flex in the downpipe but no bracing.
The min ramhorn style looks like a better option with the shorter runs but I don't know how that affect performance! I also think v band between the manifold and turbo is the way to go, it's just finding the right company to use.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:05 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky2pipes
Thanks for the input guys. So far I have only ever used ramhorn style manifold with bracing in the manifold and large flex in the downpipe but no bracing.
The min ramhorn style looks like a better option with the shorter runs but I don't know how that affect performance! I also think v band between the manifold and turbo is the way to go, it's just finding the right company to use.
A mini ram vs. a full ram horn manifold should give you a quicker spool, and you might lose a little flow at the very top end. For road racing, a log or mini ram would be more beneficial IMO.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky2pipes
I'm not up to date on current manifold fabricators since I have been using the same setup since 2004, but I'd make sure whichever you choose that it's made from sch 40 pipe and not anything thinner. Do you know what your previous manifold was made out of? Where was it cracking? I think a ramhorn could work just fine if it's made of thick, quality materials with good welds.

A mini ram is going to be much more efficient at mid to top end than a log manifold since it still has a smooth 4-1 collector. I'm currently running 305hp @ 10psi on a stock b16 with a conservative tune if that tells you anything about performance.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the input. I don't know what my current manifold is made out of. It's been cracking around the collector and the flange to the turbobhas also warped. I'm looking to get the speedfactory Mini ram.
Has anyone got any used this manifold? I'm also going to replace the turbo but not sure how to work out which one is best for me?
Old 09-01-2018, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.full-race.com/product-ca...civic-integra/
Old 09-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are cracking and breaking parts under the hood you have a huge cooling issue.
Typical of all boosted Hondas.
Wrap wherever possible and vent that hood.
Are you running a vented hood?
You can either buy one made or there are some hood vents that you can put in easily with a little cutting.
Google it! there are options out there to reduce your under hood temps.