Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Using Hi-Temp Brake Fluid? Perhaps you need some Hi-Temp Caliper Pin Grease

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Hi-Temp Brake Fluid? Perhaps you need some Hi-Temp Caliper Pin Grease

I was checking out brake caliper pin grease for a re-build and found this stuff. Good to 550 F (intermittent). This is quite a bit higher than regular caliper pin grease from Molykote made by Dow Corning.

Molykote G-407 PAG caliper pin grease, green, 150 C, 302 F (funny smelling and re-packaged by many suppliers)
Molykote G-807 Silicone caliper pin grease, white, 200 C, 392 F

Permatex® Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube Hi-Temp Silicone Formula

http://www.permatex.com/produc...a.htm

"A silicone-based synthetic lubricating compound with outstanding temperature resistance. Fortified with moly for superior performance in high pressure conditions, this product provides continuous lubrication and has no dropping point. Temperature range -65°F to 550°F (-54°C to 288°C) intermittent. Maintains a grease-like consistency and will not liquefy, even at extreme temperatures."

When I got an NSX rebuild kit from Acura, it had 3 different greases with it:

-Pins: silicone grease (Orange)
-Piston seal, Piston boot: rubber grease (Red)
-Pin boots: silicone grease (Clear)

Factory manuals say to use Molykote M-77 between shim and back of pad. I would assume that is to reduce squeal, which is not much of an issue, but that Hi Temp silicone pin grease might just be what you need to keep those binders sliding smoothly while just barely holding on to it into the apex. Don't leave home without it.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Using Hi-Temp Brake Fluid? Perhaps you need some Hi-Temp Caliper Pin Grease (descartesfool)

looks like good stuff! 8)
Old 06-26-2006, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Using Hi-Temp Brake Fluid? Perhaps you need some Hi-Temp Caliper Pin Grease (descartesfool)

Does anyone know where to find this stuff?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using Hi-Temp Brake Fluid? Perhaps you need some Hi-Temp Caliper Pin Grease (Evan55)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evan55 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone know where to find this stuff?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.permatex.com/products_locations.htm
Old 06-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using Hi-Temp Brake Fluid? Perhaps you need some Hi-Temp Caliper Pin Grease (Crazydave)

I have had good luck using Redline hi-temp CV grease on my caliper pins. Years of abuse and they still move nice and smooth.

http://www.redlineoil.com/prod...ID=54

Old 06-28-2006, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Using Hi-Temp Brake Fluid? Perhaps you need some Hi-Temp Caliper Pin Grease (Crazydave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

http://www.permatex.com/products_locations.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>
gave it a shot but no word back yet, and Im not holding my breath.
Parts stores dont carry it, so I was hoping it was available online somewhere
Old 06-28-2006, 07:13 AM
Banned

Default Re: Using Hi-Temp Brake Fluid? Perhaps you need some Hi-Temp Caliper Pin Grease (Evan55)

i'm using high temp bearing grease for disc brake applications with good luck.

i think that half of the effect is the conscious decision to use something and to inspect/service regularly.

if one only looks at them when the brakes are goofed, they are likely not going to be pleased.

edit: something like this:

http://shop.easternmarine.com/...D=191

not sure what a 520°F drop point means
Old 06-28-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Using Hi-Temp Brake Fluid? Perhaps you need some Hi-Temp Caliper Pin Grease (tom91ita)

a track buddy who I helped with a pad job (read: did the pads for him) says that his normal mechanic uses anti-seize as the pin lube. It had turned into a nasty sludge, almost solid. He still insisted on me putting anti-seize back on it though....

Modified by Evan55 at 4:43 PM 6/28/2006
Old 06-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evan55 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a track buddy who I helped with a pad job (read: did the pads for him) says that his normal mechanic uses anti-seize as the pin lube. It had turned into a nasty sludge. He still insisted on me putting anti-seize back on it though.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know another mechanic that mis-uses anti-seize like that. I guess its quick and they dont think about it. Anti-seize has grease in it, but it also has powdered metal in it too, which is fairly abrasive in any application where there is motion. Its not a problem for its correct application since threaded fasteners dont normally MOVE. Caliper pins (and pilot bearings and who knows what all I've seen this guy put anti-seize on) are supposed to move and need GREASE
Old 06-28-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Using Hi-Temp Brake Fluid? Perhaps you need some Hi-Temp Caliper Pin Grease (JoelG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoelG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I know another mechanic that mis-uses anti-seize like that. I guess its quick and they dont think about it. Anti-seize has grease in it, but it also has powdered metal in it too, which is fairly abrasive in any application where there is motion. Its not a problem for its correct application since threaded fasteners dont normally MOVE. Caliper pins (and pilot bearings and who knows what all I've seen this guy put anti-seize on) are supposed to move and need GREASE</TD></TR></TABLE>
actually I bet its the same mechanic, this is when I did Gerry's brakes for him.