Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 05:22 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks

I have Tein RA's on my race car and was planning on sending them in to Tein to get revalved in the off season. I was told it was 160 each shock since they needed to send them to japan, plus 50 a spring since Im changing spring rates, now 840 bucks seems a little excessive to me, but I dunno maybe thats normal, just curious to see what you guys are paying, if its a big difference Im just gonna sell the teins and get something new, but who knows maybe Im just a cheap ***
Old 10-06-2003, 05:42 AM

Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (EFFECT)

Time for a trip to the KONI/Ground Control catalog. You can buy the full setup for the cost of the revalve. Not only that but you will be SCCA ITA and NASA HC legal. The Tein setup is not permitted for road race use.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:45 AM
Trial User

Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (jc836)

I ran them this year in HC, there legal, for HC at least.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:48 AM

I just talked to Tein North America a few days back, they quoted me $150 per shock for my RE's. The said all revalves were done in house and took about 2 weeks.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advance Design charges $50/shock for a rebuild. They didn't charge to revalve while they were at it.

This is a very good price from what I've seen. Definitely helps out with the TCO.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:54 AM

Endless USA; $100 and serviced in the US.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (Geratol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Geratol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Endless USA; $100 and serviced in the US.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Endless USA services Tein? Is that what you're saying?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:26 AM

Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (sackdz)

I'm saying that I pay $100 to service my Zeal(Endless) shocks.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Trial User

per shock?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i woudl guess per shock. that seems about average for the industry and prolly what you would pay for koni's as well. the AD price is very cheap but as was hinted above the initial price is expensive. $399/corner. shocks only
Old 10-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

somebody should do a quick comparo of the costs for an ots coil-over kit like Zeal or Tein + revalve + different spring rates to an ots koni SA + revalve/shorten + gc sleeves/springs.

having no idea what the jdm crap goes for i can't really compare, but i'd bet you'd be hard pressed to beat a koni setup like mine for cost/performance and overall performance. my setup:

ots koni's = $500
SPSS revalve and shorten front shocks = $600+$100s/h=$700
gc sleeve's/springs=$375
total= $1575

that $1600 bought me autocross valved shocks with my preferred spring rates instead of a aluminum bodied, street valved shock. yes, i did have to pay a little extra to have the shocks shortened, but that was only about $200 of the total revalve cost. the revalve itself cost just under $100/shock too. i don't know how the hell you are ever going to be able to spend under $2k and get the performance i get out of these shocks now. and by using koni's, i get to indirectly support other racers that i know. guys like lee.

nate-will be running a car with a koni sticker on it for a long time...

ps. lee dynoed some jdm shocks off a sts celica at nats this year. the front shocks had virtually no change at all in rebound or compression damping from the softest setting all the way to the hardest setting. and there was nothing wrong with them either. i don't remember the brand, but the point is that with koni, you _know_ what you are buying.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:00 AM
Trial User

Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (solo-x)

Advance designs are looking pretty good, at only 400 for a double adjustable shock, plus 50 each to rebuild, thats damn good I think, guess I'll have to give them a call and get all the info.

I'll look into the koni's too..

keep the info coming!

thanks
Old 10-06-2003, 09:07 AM

EFFECT- Yes per shock.

Nate- The shocks that Lee tested were Zeals and they didn't seem to vary much with each adjustment. I don't know what model they were or what spring rates he had. In December I will be sending my Zeals to Lee to test and I'll post up the results here.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Geratol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Nate- The shocks that Lee tested were Zeals and they didn't seem to vary much with each adjustment. I don't know what model they were or what spring rates he had. In December I will be sending my Zeals to Lee to test and I'll post up the results here.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's going to be the revalved Zeal's, right? that should be interesting to see. i know jeff's were not revalved, so that might just be a characteristic of the street valving for a celica and have no relevance at all to an integra or civic.

just remember, an adjustable shock doesn't always mean it actually is adjustable, or adjustable in the way you want. kyb's adjust compression and rebound at the same time. it would appear the Zeal's on jeff's car had a very expensive shiny and useless **** on them.

nate
Old 10-06-2003, 10:04 AM

The rears have been revalved for higher spring rates but the fronts are still the OTS valving because I'm going to be trying softer springs in front. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the shock dyno that Endless advertises.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Wai
ProFunction/GT Motoring

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solo-x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ots koni's = $500
SPSS revalve and shorten front shocks = $600+$100s/h=$700
gc sleeve's/springs=$375
total= $1575</TD></TR></TABLE>

I spent about $1200 for a set of ots KYB SSG ($800 for shocks, $400 for springs, helper springs, and pillowball uppermount).

The fronts have been running on 1120# springs all year and still has full range of adjustment (4 levels). The rear is at 900# and I can't go softer than 2 without feeling underdampen. Based on the price and performance, I like it a lot. Not a typical JDM bling that people are bashing.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:59 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFFECT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Advance designs are looking pretty good, at only 400 for a double adjustable shock, plus 50 each to rebuild, thats damn good I think, guess I'll have to give them a call and get all the info.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There have been alot of unhappy people with AD's. I've heard alot of stories (too many to be chalked up as operator error, misinstallation or oddball faulty shock) about AD shocks just not holding up and failing. And that the customer service by GC being atrocious after the fact when you want them to fix it. But they're awful nice to you when you have your visa in hand.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (Wai)

wai, do you have any further info on these that I could look into?

currently I'm looking at getting into a monotube suspension, and if that involves leaving koni's, so be it. plus i'd like to be able to adjust ride height independently from spring pre-load.

i just got a quote of $1900 for some custom valved JIC's (thats with the springs in the rates i want)
Old 10-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (carl_aka_carlos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carl_aka_carlos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
currently I'm looking at getting into a monotube suspension, and if that involves leaving koni's, so be it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

May I ask why a mono-tube? If they are good dampers and good valvings for the application, mono-tube vs. twin-tube does not matter unless you ware laying them over or inverting them which has no real value on sedans. Given the same quality of valving and ability to generate the needed force, the mono-tubes actually have some disadvantages like reduced stroke, gas pressure spikes on hard impacts, etc. Depending on the designs, mono-tubes can be much harder to get low speed damping and digressive curves. Either way, KONI is the only company that makes all three designs: mono-tube high pressure gas, twin-tube low pressure gas, and twin-tube hydraulic.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carl_aka_carlos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i just got a quote of $1900 for some custom valved JIC's (thats with the springs in the rates i want) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Run and hide.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:02 PM
.RJ

Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (CRX Lee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Run and hide.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? Warren (H2 ITR) has been very happy with his JIC setup. I've ridden in the car and it seems to work very well. And its really not much more expensive than a revalved koni setup. And that comes with upper mounts (add $150 for GC upper mounts for the koni setup).
Old 10-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (.RJ)

Anyone here considering running jrz or moton, and what the rebuilds are on those?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Wai
ProFunction/GT Motoring

Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (carl_aka_carlos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carl_aka_carlos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wai, do you have any further info on these that I could look into?

currently I'm looking at getting into a monotube suspension, and if that involves leaving koni's, so be it. plus i'd like to be able to adjust ride height independently from spring pre-load.

i just got a quote of $1900 for some custom valved JIC's (thats with the springs in the rates i want) </TD></TR></TABLE>

The KYB SSG is strictly JDM only. I tried contacting both KYB USA and Europe to inquire about this suspension and both gave me a negative answer.... If you have friends in Asia (Hong Kong, Japan), they should be able to get a set for you. Or you could contact AJ Pwr and see if they could get it.

However, there's no spring preload adjustment (no adjustable shock length). Steel bodied, and with 4-level of stiffness adjustment. It is a very "basic", stripped down kind of racing damper.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Why? Warren (H2 ITR) has been very happy with his JIC setup. I've ridden in the car and it seems to work very well. And its really not much more expensive than a revalved koni setup. And that comes with upper mounts (add $150 for GC upper mounts for the koni setup).</TD></TR></TABLE>

The JIC are the same basic valving and internals as all of the other flashy, overrated JDM kits that we have discussed before. Can you state examples of cars that seem to do fine with them? Certainly. Can you say that other systems will not make improvements? No. BTW, the stock mounts are fine with dampers matched to the car and you already own them.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:31 PM
.RJ

Rubber upper mounts are fine with 1200+ lb springs?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:34 PM
Wai
ProFunction/GT Motoring

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Given the same quality of valving and ability to generate the needed force, the mono-tubes actually have some disadvantages like reduced stroke, gas pressure spikes on hard impacts, etc. Depending on the designs, mono-tubes can be much harder to get low speed damping and digressive curves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not being able to respond well to small bumps is a big disadvantage of monotubes, thus the ride quality is rougher and not recommended for daily street use.

However, reduced stroke, I would not see it as a disadvantage. When we use high spring rates (1000+#) and low ride height on a race car, the suspension travel is gonna be very small. The dampers *need* to be able to dissipate the energy with only a short travel --- and that's what monotubes are good at. Did I understand it right?

Quick Reply: What are you guys paying to rebuild/revalve your shocks