Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

A thread of "1st" - First upgrade race, First racing contact, and my First USTCC race

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A thread of "1st" - First upgrade race, First racing contact, and my First USTCC race

What a weekend. I'm not sure where to start, so here's a few bullets:

- Got my upgrade race completed
- Had a collision with a RX7 that required a lot of racers tape and various size sledge hammers to repair
- Ran my first USTCC race
- Every time I go on track it pours…. hard!
- Colin's new car is fast
- You can't stop on wet grass

Colin finally brought out the new East Coast CRX on Saturday for his first Novice race. We played follow the leader during practice, but when I got stuck behind slower traffic, he powered right by and ended up turning some pretty decent lap times.

Saturday was my Novice upgrade race and it went well until this RX7 took me deep into T1 and looped it right in front of me. I couldn't stop so we hit with my right front corner to his right front corner. I couldn't hear anything rubbing, so I just kept going. I made up some ground and finished the race.

The USTCC made the trip to Portland this weekend and I was looking forward to watching them run and catching up with Justin and crew. As it turns out, they wanted a few more cars to fill out their field, so they asked myself and James if we were interested in running. There were conditions to the arrangement that were agreed upon, and we were set.

I'd like to say that Ali and everyone else in the USTCC were great. It's unfortunate that their series is having whatever issues it is they're having because it really seems like a good place to race. In my opinion, it’s a well run program and I hope to see them back at Seattle in August.

Since I only had the chance to qualify in the rain on Sunday for the USTCC race (Group 4), I started in the back with James right behind me, but I'm sure I would've been back there anyway. We had a split start behind the SPO and GT groups, and it worked out pretty well. James finally fixed his VTEC issues and made up three spots on the start. He swapped places with Charlie in a white Civic a few times, but when we got stuck behind a black hatch, James was able to sneak off ahead. I was still hanging in there within striking distance a few laps later when Charlie was able to make it around the black car. I tried to follow him through, but I just don't have the horsepower to defend down the straight. I spent the rest of the race stuck behind the black car, passing him a few times in T7 &8, but I couldn't hold him off down the back straight.

James won a nice trophy for fast rookie and champagne was sprayed on the podium between Jeff Lepper, (1st), Tom Lepper, (2nd) and Charlie (3rd).

My first G-Production race (Group 2) was actually pretty stressful. I qualified awful, went off track, made rookie mistakes and overall just plain drove like ***. I started in the back 1/3 of a 40+ car field and it was raining harder that I’ve seen it rain in a long time. We thought it was going to start hailing any minute or cave in the roof of my car. There were large puddles of standing water on track and you couldn’t see anything through the spray. We got the green and I managed to get through the chicane without any problems. The next lap, a BMW and a 510 got together right in front of me on the back straight and ended up going into the wall on drivers left, hard. The 510 looked really bad. That brought out the full course yellow with pace car for the next 4-5 laps.

After the restart, it was more of the same. I slid off track in T12 and passed twice under local yellows but gave the position back right away. For me, it was basically a shitty race, but I made it through in one piece.

Overall it was a good weekend with a lot of highs and lows. The entire Honda (and VW) camp is great. I'd like to thank everyone for everything, and I'd also like to thank the USTCC for the opportunity. I'll try to have pictures and video posted soon.

Old 06-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A thread of "1st" - First upgrade race, First racing contact, and my First USTCC race (johng)

Doh!

I mostly forgot there was racing this weekend, and that you were coming down.

I WISH I could get your racing weather!

Glad your shunt was minor.

Scott, who remembers how hard it rained...it would have been great....sniffle....
Old 06-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A thread of "1st" - First upgrade race, First racing contact, and my First USTCC race (RR98ITR)

Pictures by Doug Berger. -- http://www.digitalracephotos.c....html

Group 2 = GP race Sunday
Group 4 = USTCC race Sunday
Novice Closed Wheel = RX7 contact Saturday
Old 06-07-2004, 11:30 AM

Default Re: A thread of "1st" - First upgrade race, First racing contact, and my First USTCC race (johng)

Congrats on the upgrade, John!

You looked good out there in group 4. We were thinking how cool it would be if you and James could have somehow ended up on the podium as guest racers!

Greg ~ who suprisingly enjoyed watching instead of racing. weird.

Old 06-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A thread of "1st" - First upgrade race, First racing contact, and my First USTCC race (bulldog_R

Maybe if it rained like it did for the group 2 race.....
James did end up on the podium as fast rookie. They gave him a nice trophy and took his picture a few times.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:21 PM

Congrats John on your first race! I do believe that is about as bad as it gets as far as weather and conditions on the track. The main thing is you did it and you made it, good job.

Was definitely an up and down weekend for me.
I was worried about not having the full power and first time out on a welded diff.
Saturday power was not there, but love the welded diff. It fits me good.
When Tom from USTCC asked us to run with them i was excited about that but disappointed i wasn't running 100%.

I wasn't thinking much about the weather because i was so down about my car. Once we got going the weather came to my advantage. Once it started drying out i realized the stuff i did to the car that morning fixed my problem. My attitude went back to the "UP" position. Ended up third to my surprise. Who would of thunk it.

The weather and home track came to my advantage during the USTCC race. Swapped with Tom and Charlie for a little while. It dried out and they said "see ya"
! The rookie award was highly unexpected. I think of it as a shared trophy, with John, since our cars are set-up for different classes.
Need to thank the USTCC guys for another new experience.

Once again, good job John. Way to get on the podium first race

Modified by JAMES "A" at 2:46 PM 6/8/2004
Old 06-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Neo

Wow John. Very good stuff. Congrats on "being there" -- you know, achieving all your "1st's." You're doing what I dream about.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A thread of "1st" - First upgrade race, First racing contact, and my First USTCC race (Neo)

It was really cool grid'ing up next to John. Although, we didn't spend ANY time together while we were on the track. Traffic is traffic though. Look at it this way John, with all your time spent "tip-toe'ing" through rain races you're going to be very fast in your dry races.

This weekend was nothing less then a spectacular learning curve. My race occured with light rain that only put water on half of the track. It was interesting exiting T11 at full throttle on dry road and reaching the end of the straight at 110+mph headed for T1 (35mph turn) in the wet. It was exciting leading the entire pack (including the 600hp Dodge Viper) for 2 laps but that wasn't to last. Finishing 8th overall I was pleased with my performance and car.

You just watch John, I'm gonna beat Rick!

p.s. Jeremy is in the Garage right now pounding away at his car keeping the neighbors awake I'm sure at 11 pm on a monday night!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A thread of "1st" - First upgrade race, First racing contact, and my First USTCC race (rice_clas

For new racers, both John and Colin did exceptionally well. The track conditions were a constant wild card and tire selection was nearly impossible. We had races that would start with a downpour so big you couldn't see forward from the front row and by the end of the race the line was 85-90% dry.

Two more to go to get rid of those 3's and the dayglo organge sticker for John. A few more for Colin.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rice_classic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You just watch John, I'm gonna beat Rick!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bring it on rookie. It is good to set goals.

Rick
Old 06-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A thread of "1st" - First upgrade race, First racing contact, and my First USTCC race (rice_clas

More pictures!
Choose groups 2, 4 and 5. Group 2 shows just how much water there was.

http://www.photoreflect.com/sc...N0098
Old 06-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy crap! That is rain! I didn't know it was pouring THAT bad!
Old 06-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was nice having the both of you in the series. Take some weight out of those cars for Seattle. We hope to see you there. Hopefully in DRY conditions.
JEFF
Old 06-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you guys make it to the Seattle race and the logistics work out, I'll definately run your race group again. It was tons of fun.