Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Swapping a 91 Civic DX to Si trim for Solo HS/STS

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Swapping a 91 Civic DX to Si trim for Solo HS/STS

So I'm getting a 1991 civic DX hatchback and i want to race it in SCCA solo. H Street or STS eventually. This car is completely stock and in good shape. Is swapping to the Si trim level something that people do? I mean it looks like the Si is the best in class so my DX will be outperformed just because of that. And its not like you stumble across Si models left and right for cheap. I know it would be a considerable amount of work but thats not really a big deal as i am capable. As far as i can tell from the Rules, everything that was different on the Si would have to be changed over.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Swapping a 91 Civic DX to Si trim for Solo HS/STS

I have wondered about this as well, just off hand, would this mean installing a sunroof?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Nades88
I have wondered about this as well, just off hand, would this mean installing a sunroof?
I would think that would have to be done because the rules say the change over has to be totally complete. The main difference for me is that i would love to have the D16A instead of the D15B2 thats in my car.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought they got rid of updating/backdating in Street and ST classes. Take that with a grain of salt, as I don't really study the rulebook like I used to. Regardless, the answer is, in my opinion, that this is not worth doing. EF Civic is pretty far down on the list of "competitive" cars in HS right now with the likes of the Fiesta ST, Mini Cooper and Civic Si's being the "in" cars. Once you move to STS, there are enough allowances to even the playing field a little more, at least at the regional level. The top STS cars at Nationals are running like $5,000-$6,000 coilovers and stuff, so yeah, good luck in that end of the pool.

TL;DR No people don't do this. Exhaust, CAI, coilovers, sway bars and have a blast in STS!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Josh R.
I thought they got rid of updating/backdating in Street and ST classes. Take that with a grain of salt, as I don't really study the rulebook like I used to. Regardless, the answer is, in my opinion, that this is not worth doing. EF Civic is pretty far down on the list of "competitive" cars in HS right now with the likes of the Fiesta ST, Mini Cooper and Civic Si's being the "in" cars. Once you move to STS, there are enough allowances to even the playing field a little more, at least at the regional level. The top STS cars at Nationals are running like $5,000-$6,000 coilovers and stuff, so yeah, good luck in that end of the pool.

TL;DR No people don't do this. Exhaust, CAI, coilovers, sway bars and have a blast in STS!
Cool thanks for the Reply. It makes sense. Your right about the EF civic not being at the top of HS. I look at various race results. I just happen to have a EF civic that is completely stock.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawncs
Cool thanks for the Reply. It makes sense. Your right about the EF civic not being at the top of HS. I look at various race results. I just happen to have a EF civic that is completely stock.
If you aren't a national competitive level driver, the minor power difference for the SI engine won't hold you back in HS, or STS. Get some wheels and tires, flush to fresh brake fluid as a precaution, and get out there and have some fun and gain experience. Later, if you decide to go super serious, then you can worry about getting / building "the car" for a class.

Or, at least, so advises the guy who spent years running a "will never win" ST/STS Integra GSR, but had an absolute blast doing so anyway.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
If you aren't a national competitive level driver, the minor power difference for the SI engine won't hold you back in HS, or STS. Get some wheels and tires, flush to fresh brake fluid as a precaution, and get out there and have some fun and gain experience. Later, if you decide to go super serious, then you can worry about getting / building "the car" for a class.

Or, at least, so advises the guy who spent years running a "will never win" ST/STS Integra GSR, but had an absolute blast doing so anyway.
Thats true. I need to stop thinking so much about it and just get out there and drive. I plan to do shocks and springs and a rear sway bar first. Then do the wheels and tires. I am on limited funds but i think i can do those things for now. Well not right now because i want to take it out as is and see how it/me does.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually the first thing im doing is swapping this terrible no tach gauge cluster for one that has one.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most local regions have an X-Class, a run what you brung group. So just go out and have fun without worrying about the DX. Looking forward, you would have to look at StreetMod with that model.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

backdate/update rule puts you into sp class.

you could just run it as in and learn to drive it.

the cars that rule HS are the FiSt, and base mini cooper.

cars that rule sts are the miata and crx si. the si hatch doesn't do too bad in sts but does hatch are usually of the 89 variant (89 civic/crx have lighter doors = lighter car)

easiest way for you to go would be to just go into a street prep, prepared, mod or street mod class.

street prep class you keep you engine but you have room to work on internals

prepared you can do some more work on the stock engine.

mod class sky is almost the limit with what you can do the stock engine.

street mod, you just swap in a bigger engine of what you want, or you could turbo it.

those are the simpliest ways i can discribe the difference between those class' pretty sure someone will chime in with better detail but work a quick and dirty run down.....

oh and suspension. you could run the same suspension setup for any of those class'. only thing that really changes is how much weight you can take out of the car. like in modified class you can run a gutted car, but in Street mod, you still have to have interior carpet and sound deadning. you can take out the back seat for street mod though.

those are the basic info on it. read the rule book. pick which class you want to run in and build car to spec.

**** on a note, for the sp, prepared, and mod class. the reason i suggest keeping your orignal engine is because all those guys that run civic/crx in those class' run 1.5l. i believe it has to do with weight penitly but i could be wrong. think one guy said that you get more potental out of the 1.5 then you would the 1.6. which when i heard that was a big WAT???? its what the national guys are running. ****