Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Struggling with containment seat mount. Have pics,Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Struggling with containment seat mount. Have pics,Help?

This is my first ever mounting of a containment seat. It's also the first one I've ever owned. I have no pool of knowledge on this one. EG coupe.

location. I believe I have the seat where I'd like it to be. The angles are good, legs feel good when using the pedals, etc. Seat is where it needs to be, +/- a hair. If anything, it could slide toward the center of the car 1/2" if I trim the seat bracket. The base of seat is about 3-3.5" from the floor. The kirkey rails that are bolted on are parallel with the seat bottom.

Problem. Check the pics. The wide part of the containment device is poking through the window. Is this common?

There is no way I'll be able to get a window net off the Halo bar down to the door bar. that corner of the seat breaks the window net plane by a long way. the Halo bar would be in about 2" from that metal I have in the pic, and the first door bar, down about 5-8" from the door top. The seat is in the dang way.

Maybe I could mount the net to the door jam... I have no idea if that's legal. It's just the first thing that came to my mind.

MAYBE, I could cut out the door jam at the top (not running door tops) and flush up the Halo bar 2-3" to the driver side. So that bar is actually where the door top normally goes.

I'm kinda puzzled. Any help is appreciated.

about a 1.1-1.25" gap between the kireky mount and the front stock seat mount bracket (the black bit).

Kirkey bracket rubs the tunnel. I could take 1/2" in width off that bracket and slide the seat over toward the middle. OR, flip the bracket so that the seat bolts would be under the seat. Might be able to slide the seat an 1"+ toward the center of the car.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Struggling with containment seat mount. Have pics,Help?

window net must be mounted cage to cage, top of cage to door bar. It cannot be mounted to the door itself, unless the door is welded to the car. I found this out last year going through tech. If the door *somehow* gets ripped off, then the safety net is gone.

As far as the seat goes, that looks like one wide ****. I will take pics of my setup in a little bit and post them to help out.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can help you out with Adjustable PCI Seat mounts that will definitely allow you to mount the seat exactly where you want it.
However, I assume the two Alloy latches on each side of the head restraint on the seat are designed to be solid mounted to the Roll cage with the seat closer to the center of the car. (NASCAR-SPEEDWAY)? Can they be removed without destroying the structural integrity of the seat ? Although even that doesn't really look like it will solve the problem. I think the simple answer is you might have to look at getting a different seat.

Another thought., Can the window net be mounted to a smaller bar say 1/2" mounted to the roll cage extending out to within the Door jam? Check the rules. Then the net would drop down to a NASCAR style side intrusion bar which should be well towards the door panel sheetmatal and away from the seat.

MY 10c worth....

Kiwi
Old 04-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here, hope this helps. This is the "PCI" mount with a Sparco seat. Works great!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulhonda/6932167772/http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulhonda/6932167772/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/soulhonda/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulhonda/6932164506/http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulhonda/6932164506/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/soulhonda/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulhonda/7078238499/http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulhonda/7078238499/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/soulhonda/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulhonda/7078237047/http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulhonda/7078237047/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/soulhonda/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulhonda/6932160290/http://www.flickr.com/photos/soulhonda/6932160290/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/soulhonda/, on Flickr
Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I've got it ironed. More pics soon. Working on the main hoop right now.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's how I'm solving it. This allowed the seat to be moved about 1" closer to the center of the car. Seems to have given me net room.

The original plan was to put seat sliders on it and use the stock mounting holes for the seat that Honda provided. I think they're pretty tough, and at one point in time, Honda passed some kind of safety test with them. What that did though was force me to make a bracket and weld it to the seat slider, and then mount the kirkey bracket to it. That's double the amount of bolts. Slider bolts to chassis. Kirkey adapter bolts to slider, kirkey adaptor bolts to seat. Now, it's just gonna be seat bolts to chassis. Less adaption, hella stronger.

Both sides are in a slight state of mock/tack. But you can see where it's going. Driver side, large outer plate is angled in toward the seat. there will be an equal piece on the inside so the mount is fully triangulated. Wanted to keep the mount away from the door sill so there is some crush before it gets to the seat mounts. Right side mount. will get all kinds of triangulation from the bottom and a bit more on the back, but you get the idea. Right or wrong, this is what we're gonna do.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have tried flipping your seat brackets to give you the extra space and allow you to use the seat slider (key for different driver sizes in an endurance car). But it doesn't look like they will allow you to do that as the rear holes are lower than the front. But since you're getting into the cutting/welding just cut off the bottoms and flip them over and re-weld.

I don't have issues with my seat, I'm running a Sparco PRO ADV and the Sparco mounts. Also, using a BFH on the exhaust tunnel will help get it out of your way for clearance.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nobody else uses arm restraints? Toss the window net and go with a set of arm restraints. You can also see the corner better with the window net gone.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 914Racer
Nobody else uses arm restraints? Toss the window net and go with a set of arm restraints. You can also see the corner better with the window net gone.
Why would you trust that? How can you make that kind of assumption that your vision is better with no window net?

Window nets keep you in the car, which is where you want to be in a roll over.
Safety is the biggest factor here.
Most sanctioning bodies require window nets. Compromise on safety.. Wrong answer.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That PCI mount that Brian is making is looking pretty nice, and he's made some changes to the bolts to allow lower mounting when you're using a big seat.

I have a mount that's similar to the PCI one, but homemade, thanks to Graham. If I had it to do again, and didn't have the side mounts already, I'd go with the PCI mount.

Kiwi - you need to get that mount listed on your website, I had to google it to find it listed on other sites for the pricing.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
Why would you trust that? How can you make that kind of assumption that your vision is better with no window net?

Window nets keep you in the car, which is where you want to be in a roll over.
Safety is the biggest factor here.
Most sanctioning bodies require window nets. Compromise on safety.. Wrong answer.
Why would I trust arm restraints? Because every open cockpit car in the last 20 years has used them. FIA, SCCA, NASA, IMSA, ALMS, etc all allow arm restraints. There is nothing unsafe about them. I use them on a regular basis as I like that I can see better without the standard window net in place. Window nets do not keep you in the car, your harness keeps you in the car.

SCCA and NASA both allow the option to forgo the window net in favor of arm restraints.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's where we are at, right now. Added speed holes and triangulation to the other side, and triangulated the back. and tied it into BOTH original seat mounts, and did it at an angle. Gotta be a crap load stronger than simply bolting 2 adaptors together and making it work. Now just the 4 bolts that hold the seat on the sides is all we have that's not welded firm. I'd like to tie the seat brackets into the cage, not sure about the best way to go about that at this point. Next, gotta figure out how to tie in the seat back to the main hoop. It's not required because we are under 3" away, but I think it's a nice item to have. Probably save some metal fatigue on the seat as well.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found some seat mount ideas I like. Good triangulation with the tubes mounted to the angled sides, sitting on pads.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is how I did mine. I used a Sparco seat slider which bolted directly to the floor on top of some supports. Works great, very solid, and the seat is low in the car. The window net does not hit/touch the seat.

I was in the middle of painting the car/cage in this picture so its a bit of a mess.

Here is how it ended up

Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ NICE, I like that one. ^^^

Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Originally Posted by 914Racer
Why would I trust arm restraints? Because every open cockpit car in the last 20 years has used them. FIA, SCCA, NASA, IMSA, ALMS, etc all allow arm restraints. There is nothing unsafe about them. I use them on a regular basis as I like that I can see better without the standard window net in place. Window nets do not keep you in the car, your harness keeps you in the car.

SCCA and NASA both allow the option to forgo the window net in favor of arm restraints.
Thats nice... I dont trust them to keep my arms safe inside the car.
If you like them thats ok too.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Those are some good ideas guys.. I have something similar to the round bar and the side rails but with square stock.

Seems like everytime I see another pic of this same endeavor I get more ideas on how to improve mine.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats nice... I dont trust them to keep my arms safe inside the car.
If you like them thats ok too.
Dirty, they work in open cockpit cars, which are the worst case scenario for your arms getting out someplace where they can get hurt. The only argument for a window net over arm restraints that I can see is that the net would prevent stuff from coming IN the car better than arm restraints.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Originally Posted by solo-x
Dirty, they work in open cockpit cars, which are the worst case scenario for your arms getting out someplace where they can get hurt. The only argument for a window net over arm restraints that I can see is that the net would prevent stuff from coming IN the car better than arm restraints.
I have to agree with the not letting things in the car scenario, except for the annoyed bee that flew throught the net and now you are at its mercy while you are buckled in on grid

If you are open cockpit then thats your only measure of safety then.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for thead jacking and I know this thread is kinda old but does anyone know if pci makes a seat mount for 88 crx hf?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:25 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Originally Posted by pastelito
Sorry for thead jacking and I know this thread is kinda old but does anyone know if pci makes a seat mount for 88 crx hf?
They are universal, you will have to buy them and see how they are going to work with your mount / seat application.
I know there are plenty of CRX users out there.
They shouldnt be too difficult to set it up though.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They are universal, you will have to buy them and see how they are going to work with your mount / seat application.
I know there are plenty of CRX users out there.
They shouldnt be too difficult to set it up though.
Ok cool. Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good