Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Slightly OT: Thinking about Building Autocross gokart -> SCCA Rules help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slightly OT: Thinking about Building Autocross gokart -> SCCA Rules help?

Argh! I have a fairly real chance to get a 500cc engine and sequential off a dirt bike for a "hard to turn down" price. I've always had this fantasy of building a buggy/kart that I could use to go off-roading (independent front suspension, swing arm rear, roll cage) on ATV trails and do my own 'rallycross' on a plot of private property a friend's family owns, as well as (much more realistically) using it at SCCA and other autocrosses.

So the question becomes, does anyone know of any informational resources, experiences, third-party horror stories, etc. pertaining to building a gokart with a motorcycle engine for autocross use? I'm specifically interested in tracking down exactly what construction rules/safeguards I would need to adhere to to have the greatest chance of the safety steward letting me on the autocross course?

The price is "hard to turn down" _only_ if I can actually build and run it.. I don't want to throw away that money acquiring garage clutter.

I'd really appreciate anyone who can provide/point me to an authoritative resource in a readable/comprehensible format.. _hopefully_ on the web.. but any advice will be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slightly OT: Thinking about Building Autocross gokart -> SCCA Rules help? (MechE00)

The last time I checked, the SCCA allows go-karts that meet any of the WKA or other kart club rules. And the only kart class recognized at nationals is F125 (125cc shifters).

With a 500cc bike engine, you would be better off building an A-Mod car. Do a search on Formula SAE (FSAE) for ideas on small, purposed builts. FSAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers contest for university sponsored mini-formula cars. Most FSAE cars are A-Mod legal.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Slightly OT: Thinking about Building Autocross gokart -> SCCA Rules help? (MechE00)

It's called building an FSAE car. I have built 6 and been team captain for 2 different schools.

http://www.fsae.com

I have lots of experience in this PM me if you are serious.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A MOD - where the main rules are a minimum weight of 600 lbs and minimum wheelbase of 60".....

I have a dream of building an A-Mod car one day two - but it involve two high torque electric motors driving the rear wheel. The motors would be powered by a gas powered generator. And I'm thinking of a dual axis gas pedal for independant control of the two motors for "LSD" application; First axis being the same as a normal gas pedal - just press and release. The second axis is where you can rock the pedal left or right. Or maybe I could set it up like an aircraft with yaw pedals....Then I could have an accelerator lever and brake lever mounted to the steering wheel F1 paddle shifter style... mmm, the possibilities!

[Modified by Vracer111, 9:56 AM 12/2/2002]