Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

sjg88's HPDE DC2 Progress Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: sjg88's HPDE DC2 Progress Build Thread

Originally Posted by johnfitz46
On a do it once and forget about it angle I'd look into getting baffles welded into the pan while you're down as well. Kits for it are cheap and you're already on r-comps.
yup..ordered the password JDM baffles so hopefully will be getting them put in this weekend. i was going to go w/ a moroso pan but i think i might save it for next season

Originally Posted by 9TechNine9
+1

Im also running the Honda Habit gasket on my turbo b18c and it's been great so far (OEM Studs/Nuts). I believe they are also reusable.
so would you recommend re-using the original nuts and bolts? the hondaHabit kit comes with new studs but no bolts.

im assuming this is the original oil pan that came on the engine and it appears that there is some sort of vulcanized rubber on the gasket surface that mates to the pan. this stuff is pretty hard..is there anyway to soften it up other than using a heat gun?

does it make sense to paint the inside of the pan?

Last edited by sjg88; 07-26-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

making some light progress.

so..i had a bad oil leak that i thought was the rear main seal and after inspecting it i dont think its coming from the seal at all. is it possible the oil pressure in the pan was squirting out into the transmission bell housing and coming out of the weep hole in the transmission cover? the main shaft doesnt appear to be leaking either..

preppin'

baffles welded in

chasing the threas clean

studs!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rubber stuff is remains of the OEM gasket that over the years just sticks to the surface. And it's definitely possible oil squirting into transmission bellhousing if the gasket was leaking in that spot.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SonicC
That rubber stuff is remains of the OEM gasket that over the years just sticks to the surface. And it's definitely possible oil squirting into transmission bellhousing if the gasket was leaking in that spot.
thanks, yeah some brake cleaner + a careful razor blade got it off.

does anyone have any pictures of the vacuum lines that run into the FPR and intake runner actuator thingy? the diagrams from the manual are **** and i have one extra hose that has no where to go

i should've took pics of it but i didnt
Old 08-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 08-18-2018, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man..you wouldnt happen to have any of pics of it running down the side of the intake manifold, would you? like where the hose connects to the nipple on the rear and snakes around?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried, but there;s just no way to get my phone down there.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by iwannarace
I tried, but there;s just no way to get my phone down there.
thanks man, i eventually figured it out after looking at some diagrams

i got it back together so im hoping if i can get the extended lugnuts installed before the weekend ill be doing a track day @ limerock.

just curious..for those of you who have a dedicated set of track wheels..do you use the same wheels on the front and back and rotate them every X track days?

ive just been randomly putting them on and not keeping track like i would normally do on a daily driver (rotating every 5K miles or 10K,etc)

Old 08-24-2018, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was doing DE's on Toyo RA1s and Nitto NT01s, I would swap the front tyres with the rears (on the same side) after two or three weekends. Once I got down to the cords I would replace the entire set.

Now that I run Hoosiers and Hankook race slicks I don't really rotate them per se. Instead I mark the # of heat cycles on the sidewall (so one new hash mark after each session). When the fronts reach 6 heat cycles, they go to the rear. I take the tyres on the rear wheels, replace them with new ones, and put them on the front. The old rears then go into the takeoffs pile or the recycling center, depending on their condition.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I measure the tread after every event and, knowing the wear pattern, rotate accordingly. At my home track the front-right takes a beating so I try to have the tire with the most tread there. Kind of a pain with directional tires though.

Last edited by KoRn_vIRuZ; 08-27-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys.

so..i did throw in some new parts like a lightweight 9 lb flywheel and a b16 transmission (ill post pics later) and was planning on doing an event @ limerock with SCDA but i signed up too late and got wait listed. wasnt sure if my car would be ready in time and had to order some parts so it took a wee bit longer than expected.

i had planned on doing watkins glen with NASA this mond/tues but i didnt want to commit until my car was 100% kosher

Last edited by sjg88; 08-30-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey man awesome thread! Im actually in the northeast area as well, was thinking about running njmp in sept. They have HOD which is running sat,sun the 8th and 9th, and u believe SCDA is running the 10th, and 11th. its be fun to get out on track with another honda!
Old 08-28-2018, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i plan on doing the lightning event on 9/10 w/ SCDA

OLD

NEW

im running 5MM spacers so it looks like there is enough room now. i might pick up another set just in case and stack them if need be. i was worried about these things (the spacers) causing the wheels to be thrown off balance but they appear to work fine
Old 08-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

+ you get mad jdm style points!
Old 08-28-2018, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! what class do you normally run? Itll be my first time out at njmp so ill more than likely run novice this way they can show me the lines around the track
Old 08-29-2018, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by portablenarc
Nice! what class do you normally run? Itll be my first time out at njmp so ill more than likely run novice this way they can show me the lines around the track
novice but i think they are bumping me up to intermediate. depending on how many track days you've done and how many times you've been at said track they will place you accordingly..if you've never been there they will put you in novice unless you have alot of experience under your belt or are a licensed racer

my radiator wound up springing a leak at the top of the core so i got a new denso unit. its a good thing i got waitlisted for mondays track day or it would've been a total wash of a day...koyos looked nice but are over kill unless youre running big turboss

my only complaint is that the passenger side fan mounting bolts dont line up correclty so im hanging on by one screw...im assuming the fans i have are the originals but ill cope for now

Last edited by sjg88; 08-30-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could always just use radiator ties to keep the fan secured:

They're like $8 from Amazon and work surprisingly well.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sjg88

my radiator wound up springing a leak at the top of the core so i got a new denso unit. its a good thing i got waitlisted for mondays track day or it would've been a total wash of a day...koyos looked nice but are over kill unless youre running big turboss
ummmm yeah, not so much. aluminum rads are definitely worth it. the plastic end tanks are risky on track imho, id guess they will fail again. youd be surprised how easily you can raise your water temp, ive experienced multiple levels of bumper being clogged with grass. it can start rising instantly and get north of 220 reaaaaaal quick.

i was running a mishimoto that i think was leaking somewhere. just redid my whole system with a swirl pot/koyo dual pass...can never have enough cooling

Old 09-13-2018, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
ummmm yeah, not so much. aluminum rads are definitely worth it. the plastic end tanks are risky on track imho, id guess they will fail again. youd be surprised how easily you can raise your water temp, ive experienced multiple levels of bumper being clogged with grass. it can start rising instantly and get north of 220 reaaaaaal quick.

i was running a mishimoto that i think was leaking somewhere. just redid my whole system with a swirl pot/koyo dual pass...can never have enough cooling
ill just have to keep my bumper free of grass

considering the original radiator (if it was the original one that was on before) had 200K miles on it, i think it held up pretty well but im sure the track days i did pushed it over the edge

we'll see how it plays out...if it happens in the next 12 months ill def let everyone know

80 shekels for a new denso unit was too good to pass up lol
Old 09-13-2018, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the same issue on an automatic integra with the fans not mounting up. The next one I bought for my 2000 manual the radiator the fan holes all lined up. I think there are two different denso radiators depending on the fan configuration. I did see temps of 210+ on my gsr swap in my integra with the factory replacement denso after I had spun on the track and didn't get a chance to do a cool down.

I think I might plan on switching to the Koyo 36mm core if I can keep my stock fans with the JDM ITR header/heatshield, clearance is going to be tight ::
Old 09-13-2018, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aw614
I had the same issue on an automatic integra with the fans not mounting up. The next one I bought for my 2000 manual the radiator the fan holes all lined up. I think there are two different denso radiators depending on the fan configuration. I did see temps of 210+ on my gsr swap in my integra with the factory replacement denso after I had spun on the track and didn't get a chance to do a cool down.

I think I might plan on switching to the Koyo 36mm core if I can keep my stock fans with the JDM ITR header/heatshield, clearance is going to be tight ::
yeah the denso unit i bought is listed as being for the GSR but I guess someone messed up the part #'s ..or jut decided to make the auto radiators only since its more or less the same thing.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i did another event with SCDA on monday @ the lightning track and it rained all day pretty much. they wouldnt let me use my r7's so i had to use my transport tires which are 400TW no name all seasons

the one dry session we had i managed to catch up to an s2000 but i was just trying to make it home safely so i drove cautiously. my instuctor encouraged me to feel the car out and push it alittle more and i did! this was my 4th track day and i managed to get my first spin out in the last session of the day. only one tire went off the track and the conditions were deteriorating pretty bad (went from dry to misting and things got greasy). it was a good learning experience...but wouldve been more enjoyable if i had a trailer just in case something happened.

the input shaft bearings & synchros on the b16 trans i bought are trashed and im honestly surprised the thing made it home but its pretty damn noisy so i am going to throw in the old gsr trans for the rest of the season. i will say that the gear ratios on the b16 trans are alot niceer and even my instructor commented on how nice the powerband was. dumb move on my part to throw this thing in without inspecting it but i wanted to squeeze in some more track time before i started my new job which didnt really end up working out anyways lol
Old 09-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ventured up to pocono for a track day with a corvair club..had a pretty good time. pocono north is an interesting track..def not my favorite but for the price i paid i def got a good bang for my buck.

MORNING WOOD

in staging

i need an f250 diesel!

finally got these things to chord..it kind of ended my day alittle early unfortunately. 6 track days isnt too bad.

on track