Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

sjg88's HPDE DC2 Progress Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: sjg88's HPDE DC2 Progress Build Thread

Originally Posted by mx621
Moe’s group is “ strong intermediate and advanced “ drivers. Long as your comfortable giving point by’s anywhere on track, cleared solo and can drive a decent pace on the race line. Your fine. I had all kinds of issues when I first got my car running last year. Oil pan kept leaking, rear Main seal was bad, and Input shaft bearing went, and it was leaking trans fluid pretty good. It’s all fixed now and bone dry, thank god it was driving me crazy.
i think ill be signing up end of summer or fall with them once i get some more seat time.

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
if your interested in a set of itr/mini/tsx front brake combo, mine will be coming off shortly...but unfortunately i wont get my new setup before the lime rock weekend
ill PM you
Old 07-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so..i am going to try to do one more track day before i have to do a bunch of work on this thing and i was wondering how many of you bring your tools/stuff into the hotel room when you go on a long trip? NJMP isnt that far from my house but i want to do some events @ summit potentially or up state ny and will need to get a motel or whatever.

i have no problems staying @ seedy low end motels but i dont want to risk having my stuff get stolen. i was up in MA for the southwick motocross national and noticed some people had their bikes in their truck but we stayed at a higher end hotel..not sure if that really makes a difference
Old 07-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sjg88
so..i am going to try to do one more track day before i have to do a bunch of work on this thing and i was wondering how many of you bring your tools/stuff into the hotel room when you go on a long trip? NJMP isnt that far from my house but i want to do some events @ summit potentially or up state ny and will need to get a motel or whatever.

i have no problems staying @ seedy low end motels but i dont want to risk having my stuff get stolen. i was up in MA for the southwick motocross national and noticed some people had their bikes in their truck but we stayed at a higher end hotel..not sure if that really makes a difference
I've never had problems with tools or stuff being stolen out of the car when I was DEing it. When they see dirty wheels and crap in the back, no one wants to get near the car.

That said, choosing the right place to stay goes a long way. If you go to Summit Point, I recommend staying in one of the chains in Winchester, VA. Or if budget is a big concern, bring a tent and camp out at the track. Summit has showers and electric and is pretty camp-able.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boxedfox
I've never had problems with tools or stuff being stolen out of the car when I was DEing it. When they see dirty wheels and crap in the back, no one wants to get near the car.

That said, choosing the right place to stay goes a long way. If you go to Summit Point, I recommend staying in one of the chains in Winchester, VA. Or if budget is a big concern, bring a tent and camp out at the track. Summit has showers and electric and is pretty camp-able.
good to know

i just think everyone wants to steal my integra im paranoid haha
Old 07-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i decided to squeeze in one more track day before i yank the motor to do some much needed maintenace. there was nothing local so to speak so i decided to try an SCDA event @ thompson speedway in Thomspon, CT. I managed to do a skip barber event @ NJMP before this and had a pretty good time other than my car having some issues.

The SCDA events are a bit more pricey compared to NASA but you get 30 minute sessions instead of the 20-25 min sessions you get with NASA. They are a good group to run with and my instructor was pretty good.

i cruised up sunday afternoon and spent the night. heres the TAPPAN ZEE BRIDGE

chillin.

ugly face waiting for the first session in stagin

trying to cool off after a LONG day!

my driving is def improving any my instructor recommended i be moved to the intermediate group for next time. I managed to burn through 1 3/4 tanks of gas this time around as I was haulin the mail

i will try and post some pics of the event once the photographer posts them.

alot of people dont like this track due to the lack of elevation changes but i thought it was technical and fun. I had alot easier time keeping up with faster cars on this track than i did on thunderbolt. not sure if its the track or me just feeling more confident braking into turns late and keeping momentum up around the corners

Last edited by sjg88; 07-23-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Momentum is everything, you're probably just carrying more speed which gets you faster everywhere. SCDA is a fun group, I ran with them at Watkins Glen last year and enjoyed it.

I keep trying to find a time when I can string Palmer and Thompson together on a trip. Haven't had DE weekends line up with when I can take time off of work yet though.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnfitz46
Momentum is everything, you're probably just carrying more speed which gets you faster everywhere. SCDA is a fun group, I ran with them at Watkins Glen last year and enjoyed it.

I keep trying to find a time when I can string Palmer and Thompson together on a trip. Haven't had DE weekends line up with when I can take time off of work yet though.
i hear you dude, it sucks that most of these events are during the week. makes things alot harder.

so..apparently my r7's are rubbing against my rear trailing arms and ill be needing spacers.

will 5MM spacers be enough ?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I was able to get 245's on with 15x9's with a 5mm spacer rear, 3mm front and a little grinding of the rta and ruca. But then you'll also need new extended studs, and then probably bearings in front after taking front hubs off.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the tire or wheel hitting it? If its the tire you could probably leave as is, all it's going to do is polish the area. Otherwise a 3mm spacer will probably be enough, that's very minor contact.

I'd also change to extended lug studs if you're using any kind of spacer. I've had, thankfully non catastrophic, problems using spacers on stock lugs even when there was enough thread engagement. Losing 3 sessions on a $400 entry DE weekend because of broken wheel studs sucks. Been there done that.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by iwannarace
I was able to get 245's on with 15x9's with a 5mm spacer rear, 3mm front and a little grinding of the rta and ruca. But then you'll also need new extended studs, and then probably bearings in front after taking front hubs off.
do i need to use spacers in the front? im guessing the spacers will effect handling somewhat?

Is the tire or wheel hitting it? If its the tire you could probably leave as is, all it's going to do is polish the area. Otherwise a 3mm spacer will probably be enough, that's very minor contact.

I'd also change to extended lug studs if you're using any kind of spacer. I've had, thankfully non catastrophic, problems using spacers on stock lugs even when there was enough thread engagement. Losing 3 sessions on a $400 entry DE weekend because of broken wheel studs sucks. Been there done that.
its just the tire. it also burned off a nice line on the inside of the tire sidewall.

ive read that extended studs are needed for anything wider than 5mm but im guessing track duty negates that.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You are right, track duty should negate that. If it was a dd, I would not have gone with extended studs.

I added the spacer in front because I was rubbing the knuckle-arm dealy. I'm sure it affects handling some how but I'm not near the limit of the car one way or another so it really didn't matter to me. Car still seems to handle great.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by iwannarace
You are right, track duty should negate that. If it was a dd, I would not have gone with extended studs.

I added the spacer in front because I was rubbing the knuckle-arm dealy. I'm sure it affects handling some how but I'm not near the limit of the car one way or another so it really didn't matter to me. Car still seems to handle great.
im wondering if a slightly staggered setup would be noticeable? i dont really want to pop out the front hubs and put extended lugs on them if i dont have too (and i just replaced those bearings)
Old 07-14-2018, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Iirc, somewhere on here there's a thread with someone arguing that having a wider wheelbase in back makes the car more oversteer bias. Maybe just do the back, see how you like it and go from there. Back studs were waaaaay easier to replace than fronts.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

you want to widen the front not rear. wider front track has effects on roll center and can be used to add front grip which is a good thing.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
you want to widen the front not rear. wider front track has effects on roll center and can be used to add front grip which is a good thing.
so is putting spacers on the rear going to hurt me? im not doing it for handling reasons..just want to stop the rubbing.

or should i put them on the front and back?
Old 07-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think a 10mm track width change is going to do that much in the scheme of things. It's not going to be unsafe, you might not be as fast as you could be, but I'd argue starting out at track days you're probably better off being understeer biased anyways.

Leave the fronts as is until you toast a wheel bearing then get the ext studs while you're in there.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i finally pulled the motor to do some maintenance and am in the process of buying some parts

my oil pan is leaking a bit and ive seen alot of people swear by the myhondahabit kit ...and while it looks like..its $70 for a gasket and some screws. one poster had mentioned they grinded down the stubs on the pan and just used hondabond and had no issues.

suggestions..?

Last edited by sjg88; 07-18-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did the Honda Habit gasket and it works well.

After I bought it I heard about a new one from Fel-Pro that's supposed to be good:
Introducing the Fel-Pro® PERMADRYPLUS® Oil Pan Gasket For Honda B Series Engines | Technical Bulletins | Fel-Pro Gaskets
Old 07-18-2018, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some oil pan leaking issues on my track teg. Over winter I used new oem pan gasket, thin film of hondabond on both sides on pan gasket. It’s been bone dry since!!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did the Honda Habit gasket and it works well.

After I bought it I heard about a new one from Fel-Pro that's supposed to be good:
Introducing the Fel-Pro® PERMADRYPLUS® Oil Pan Gasket For Honda B Series Engines | Technical Bulletins | Fel-Pro Gaskets
cool

Originally Posted by mx621
I had some oil pan leaking issues on my track teg. Over winter I used new oem pan gasket, thin film of hondabond on both sides on pan gasket. It’s been bone dry since!!

i know this is an issue with the B motors (b16a2 and b18c1/c5 ) ..what are you running in your car? is it an issue with the non vtec motors?

id love to do this option as its the cheapest llol but i hear it often goes back to leaking.

i want to go with a light weight flywheel since this thing needs a new clutch. is 8 lbs too light? amazon has fidanzas for under 200 bucks. ive read mixed reviews on fidanzas ..the exedy is $250 or so

Last edited by sjg88; 07-18-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Loving this build so far! Great upgrades man
Old 07-23-2018, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New Felpro permadry gasket and thin layer of hondabond on both sides will be the ultimate fix.
Make sure the pan is even on the mating surface and try to knock it lose by tapping it with a rubber mallet instead of prying on it on the edge.
I have a brand new pan and gasket that I won't be using it if you would like to take them off my hands.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LankorDie
Loving this build so far! Great upgrades man
thanks!

Originally Posted by NewCarScent
New Felpro permadry gasket and thin layer of hondabond on both sides will be the ultimate fix.
Make sure the pan is even on the mating surface and try to knock it lose by tapping it with a rubber mallet instead of prying on it on the edge.
I have a brand new pan and gasket that I won't be using it if you would like to take them off my hands.
thanks bro..appreciate it..i boughtt the hondahabit gasket kit so hopefully it will take care of everything. i really dont like working on cars to be honest so im trying to get everything sorted as best as possible.

i also added some pics from the track in one of the older posts. the engine is out so im waiting on a bunch of parts (timing belt kit, new clutch and light weight flywheel) in hopes of making it to Pocono for NASA's HPDE

Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On a do it once and forget about it angle I'd look into getting baffles welded into the pan while you're down as well. Kits for it are cheap and you're already on r-comps.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On a do it once and forget about it angle I'd look into getting baffles welded into the pan while you're down as well. Kits for it are cheap and you're already on r-comps.
+1

Im also running the Honda Habit gasket on my turbo b18c and it's been great so far (OEM Studs/Nuts). I believe they are also reusable.

Quick Reply: sjg88's HPDE DC2 Progress Build Thread