Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Power Steering rack removal question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Power Steering rack removal question

Stinky, go ahead and lock this if it's not forum appropriate, but it's for the race car, and I figured someone here might have had to do it and might have some insight.

I blew a seal on the power steering rack, and it's leaking fluid into the dust boots. I've got the seal replacement kit, plus various other items to replace while I've got the rack out. I've got all of the fluid lines disconnected, the mounting brackets undone, and the steering column disconnected, as well as the radius rods from the knuckles, but am having difficulty sliding the rack out; more specifically getting the part of the gearbox that connects to the steering column splines clear of the firewall. Is there a trick to rolling it clear, and will it slide out the side through the wheel well without having to drop the lower subframe? I'm trying to avoid dropping the subframe if I don't have to, but I've been fighting the upper part of the gearbox, and want to know if it's possible, or do I just have to suck it up and drop everything? Is it possible to remove the upper portion of the steering gearbox while it's loosely still in position to facilitate this more easily? Thanks in advance.

-Darren
Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power Steering rack removal question

Drop it like its hot !

I had to lower the subframe on mine,ive gone from PS to no PS and now PS again.
Also be sure the joint from rack to column is swapped as well since they are different sizes between the two racks.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Power Steering rack removal question

Originally Posted by JW racing
Drop it like its hot !

I had to lower the subframe on mine,ive gone from PS to no PS and now PS again.
Also be sure the joint from rack to column is swapped as well since they are different sizes between the two racks.
I'm not looking to replace the PS to no PS (ITA rules say it's got to stay PS), just need to replace all the seals and rebuild the existing rack with it off the car. I was just hoping to avoid the extra work that goes along with dropping the subframe, because it looks like there's enough clearance in the driver's side wheel well for the rack to slide out, but again, wondering if there's a trick to getting it to clear, or is the harder road the only road?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, had to drop the subframe. There's just no way the steering gearbox will clear anything without it. It's all out now. On to the steering rack rebuild tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

If you turn the rack all the way to one side (left iirc) you can get enough clearance to drop the yoke out of the firewall and then you can sneak the whole thing out... sorry I couldn't be a little clearer, its been about 9 years since I did one....
Old 05-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, dropping the subframe wasn't too bad, and let me make some welding repairs to it while it was out anyways.

Anyone have an exploded view diagram of the power steering rack from a 95 EG? I want something to follow while I tear it apart and replace all the seals.

-Darren
Old 05-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to say the subframe removal isn't really that bad, and lets you clean it up.

If you go through here: http://www.providencehondaservice.com/order-parts.aspx and enter all your vehicle info it'll bring up a pic under the "P.S. Gearbox Components" choice. However, that pic is kinda small. That's just the dealer provided picture, so you might be able to get a printout from a local parts counter.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stinkycheezmonky
I was going to say the subframe removal isn't really that bad, and lets you clean it up.

If you go through here: http://www.providencehondaservice.com/order-parts.aspx and enter all your vehicle info it'll bring up a pic under the "P.S. Gearbox Components" choice. However, that pic is kinda small. That's just the dealer provided picture, so you might be able to get a printout from a local parts counter.
Yeah, it's like the one on the Honda Performance Development website, and I needed something large enough to print and take out to the garage with me. Fortunately, someone on in the 92-00 Civic forum had what I needed, so you can go ahead and shut this thread down, if you want. I'm good to go.

Thanks again, guys.

-Darren
Old 05-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post