Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension"

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension"

i spoke with RJ about this personally over the weekend. he needs more support to convince the major mods to help clean up our forum from non-relevent posts.

i believe there needs to be a specific "Suspension" forum. RJ says when he brings this up, the mods say theres alread the "Tech" forum which is described as Engine and suspension theory, modification, and tuning." Unfortunately, this forum is mostly dead and worthless, so no one bothers to post there anyway.

However, if the mods refuse to create a new forum for suspension (eventhough theres roughly 5 forums either dedicated or loosely dedicated to Drag racing or engines), then I suggest as a compromise the "Tech" forum be renamed "Tech / Suspension" so that its clear that THERE is the place to discuss general suspension topics (coilovers, street tires, general suspension advice, and so on) as it pertains to the street, and NOT specifically for "Road Racing, Autocrossing and HPDE/HPDS Events".
Old 12-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Future Texas Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (Tyson)

"Suspension Forum brought to you by Eibach" sounds good to me
Old 12-20-2004, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe there needs to be a specific "Suspension" forum. RJ says when he brings this up, the mods say theres alread the "Tech" forum which is described as Engine and suspension theory, modification, and tuning." Unfortunately, this forum is mostly dead and worthless, so no one bothers to post there anyway.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wait a minute, this ISN'T the suspension forum?
Old 12-20-2004, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (vtecvoodoo)

tech/susp. sounds good to me. wouldnt cause any controversy, just an added word...
Old 12-20-2004, 12:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the mods say theres alread the "Tech" forum which is described as Engine and suspension theory, modification, and tuning." Unfortunately, this forum is mostly dead and worthless, so no one bothers to post there anyway.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It would seem to me that the same would happen to a "Suspension" forum.

I'm all for changing the "Tech" forum to the "Tech/Suspension" form but realistically I think we will still get the same amount of non-RR/AX questions asked here. At lease there would be somewhere to move OT suspension questions to.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (RineRacing)

If you break it down into suspension, then will the forum ***** mush all RR/AX suspension questions with street & drag setups? I'm not sure exactly how it would benefit anybody, since the three worlds of drag, street, and RR/AX rarely like to cross paths without starting inflammatory debates.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good, but I'm not sure it would do any good. Most of the canyoning/jackassery posts in RR/AX start with something like "u guys know dis shizzy bettern dem fools in killz, ..." or "u peeps be teh smartness at teh cornering,...".
Old 12-20-2004, 01:01 PM
New User

This has been brought up a ton of times in the past, and Dustin has made it clear that it won't happen.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (John)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This has been brought up a ton of times in the past, and Dustin has made it clear that it won't happen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets do a hostile take over

This isnt a major change like adding a forum, the Tech forum is dumb anyway.

I vote yes and I would be happy to make a thread in Mod Corner about the idea
Old 12-20-2004, 01:05 PM
New User

Default Re: (Evil Nick M)

I'm for it, just don't keep your hopes up too much...
Old 12-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the suspension forum won't be dead if people that know **** post in it. Means that some of us would have to put the time in to make it L33t!
Old 12-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: (John)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by John &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This has been brought up a ton of times in the past, and Dustin has made it clear that it won't happen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The funny thing is that is how they started Honda-Tech. HA.net wouldn`t start a tech forum (or something like that, it`s been so many years I can`t remember. ****, i`m old...)

Old 12-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (RineRacing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RineRacing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
At lease there would be somewhere to move OT suspension questions to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, quite frankly, at the very least, ppl wont have the excuse of not knowing theres a MORE APPROPRIATE place to ask general suspension questions.

i think if there was a "suspension" forum, i personally would check it often like i check the "ef/crx" forum and just cruise for topics i can answer, and ignore the rest i dont care or know about. i would just like to keep this forum more relevent to the subject of RR/AX/HPDE. and its not to say general suspension questions are not worthy subjects, it just doesnt belong here, this isnt particularly a "suspension" forum.

i dont think it needs to be "sponsored" by anyone. i look at some of the other sites that are "sponsored by tire rack" and its always that guy Cy saying buy a camber kit.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think it needs to be "sponsored" by anyone. i look at some of the other sites that are "sponsored by tire rack" and its always that guy Cy saying buy a camber kit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Slightly OT but following this line of thought: What do you guys think of sponsored forums? Koni is looking into it for the first time. On one side it would be supportive but it has the opportunity for blogging if the sponsor wanted to plant people there. Opinions? If a thread went specifically to Suspension, we might consider sponsoring but I am interested in the general feeling on it.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (CRX Lee)

whats gained by any sponsorship of a forum?? i think we all appreciate your input here lee, but i think this forum is already a bit too slanted towards koni past objectivity.

i hope you understand i dont mean that as a slight that koni doesnt deserve the great reputation it has here, but i wouldnt want every suspension topic to be shut down if another product or brand was mentioned.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem at all, I have certainly no problem with that kind of thing not being "All Koni, all the time". In fact, I honestly wish that the Koni level of discussion here would cool down so I can get back to doing what I want to do like seeing threads related to my cars (the pulley stuff, etc) and not feel obligated to jump in if I can help. I don't look at the EF/CRX or any other forums here other than RR/AX and certainly don't go searching out shock discussions to jump into on my own.

I can only recall specifically starting one shock thread and that was a market survey to find interest in making actual production race shocks. The rest of the time it has been in response to other people's questions.

Maybe because I am a member here and my reputation for what it is (and isn't) worth, Koni would be better off staying out of this one. We will begin having some Koni H-T general banner ads soon and maybe that will be plenty. We will be sponsoring a Suspension Forum on another big marque site just to try it vs. the normal banner thing.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (CRX Lee)

i'll add that if it means there would be more reason for the creation of a new suspension forum, i would be delighted to have koni sponsor a new suspension forum here.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, like anyone really uses the Tech forum anyways!
Old 12-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think it would be good to add suspension to the title of the tech forum.

but as far as having a company sponsor it, it is kinda pointless imo.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (slammed_93_hatch)

Pointless for who?

It benefits the memberbase since there's someone knowledgeable "on call" (yeah, its almost a full time position), and it benefits the company to get their name out there, along with some adamant supporters (not that Koni needs more of them from RR/AX ).
Old 12-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (stealthx32)

Sponsored forums aside, I still don't see why we need a solo suspension forum. We already have forums for every suspension question you could ask. Drag suspension questions get asked in the drag forum. RR and AX suspension questions get asked here. Street suspension questions get asked in the car specific forums. That's what the car specific forums are for. Otherwise we would need a seat forum, a control arm forum, a shift **** forum (okay, well there is an appearance forum...), a header forum, etc. The majority of the car forums are very busy, so anyone asking about a street setup for a GSR or a Civic for example will find plenty of traffic on their respective forums.

Just because people don't ASK their question in the right forum doesn't mean they can't be moved or redirected. It's not like .RJ has anything else to do anyway
Old 12-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (travis)

Sponsored forums = useless "political" bull.

IMO, H-T should continue to be like Switzerland.

for forum name change.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tyson, I'd support it but I don't think it'll help much. It'll still be the same regulars in here who actually know stuff about suspension. And we'll still get asked the same things "because you guys actually know and those guys over in suspension don't know what they're talking about."

Let me ask a followup question - of the RR/AX regulars, how many folks would actually spend time in such a Suspension forum answering questions? I know I for one would not. I'm pretty sure I'd get tired of explaining the same things, every time, only to have someone tell me I'm wrong because it isn't JDM or whatever.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:29 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have always liked how Rocket has his board set up. Everything is more specific.

http://m24x.zeroforum.com/zeromain
Old 12-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension" (rochesterricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rochesterricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have always liked how Rocket has his board set up. Everything is more specific.

http://m24x.zeroforum.com/zeromain </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ive been pulling for more specific break down of forums here forever, it just falls on deaf ears

Quick Reply: Petition to add "Suspension Forum" or rename Tech to " Tech and Suspension"