Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

OT: Intellitxt Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It

RJ- If this post is against some rules, just delete it.

Notice all those darned highlighted words in the posts around here. They annoy the hell out of me. Those links come from an advertising service called Intellitxt. They suck. I've found that their servers are slow and delay my page loads. The page doesn't always render while I'm waiting for their servers to respond. And strangely enough, the connection to them never closes when I'm on this site. So I configured my computer to not connect to them.

Want to know how?

All you have to do is add an entry in your hosts file to direct honda-tech.us.intellitxt.com to your local computer. Your local computer will drop the connection. No more advertising from those goombahs.

You may or may not already have a Hosts file on your computer. Check first, if it doesn't exist, it's just a plain text document that you can make.

Windows
Look in one of these directories for "hosts":

Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS

If it's not there, make a new file called hosts in that location.

Then, edit the file.

The first line should look like this:
127.0.0.1 [tab] localhost

To block Intellitxt.com add this to a blank line:
127.0.0.1 [tab] honda-tech.us.intellitxt.com

Restart.

Mac OS X Panther & Tiger
You'll need to drop to the terminal. If you aren't comfy here, don't try this at home.
Use your favorite command line text editor to edit the hosts file inside /etc. I like Pico, it's simple and easy to use.

In terminal, enter:
sudo pico /etc/hosts

Enter your admin password when prompted.
Use the arrow keys to get to the bottom of the file.
Enter the following on a blank line:
127.0.0.1 honda-tech.us.intellitxt.com
Type Cntrl-X to exit
Type Y to overwrite the existing file
Type Enter to save with the same name.
Restart the computer.

Modified by Shmeek at 10:55 AM 11/1/2005
Old 11-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (Shmeek)

There was also a link on here when this intellitxt crap started on h-t... to their site where you could unsubscribe/deactivate... or whatever you'd like to call it. I can't find it but I'm sure someone still has it...
Old 11-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (Chris N)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris N &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There was also a link on here when this intellitxt crap started on h-t... to their site where you could unsubscribe/deactivate... or whatever you'd like to call it. I can't find it but I'm sure someone still has it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jah, cross posted a few times... deleted by mods many times.... but the hosts file works the best.

For those using Firefox.... search firefox adblock
Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Trial User

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (Chris N)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris N &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There was also a link on here when this intellitxt crap started on h-t... to their site where you could unsubscribe/deactivate... or whatever you'd like to call it. I can't find it but I'm sure someone still has it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but its temporary, as that link sets a cookie which expires in just a few weeks. The Hosts file is a permanent fix.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shmeek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The first line should look like this:
127.0.0.1 [tab] localhost

To block Intellitxt.com add this to a blank line:
127.0.0.1 [tab] honda-tech.us.intellitxt.com
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldn't you enter the second line as follows"
127.0.0.1 [tab] intellitxt.com

This would block all traffic from intellitxt.com (HT isn't the only board that uses them).
Old 11-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Trial User

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (Coach Crack Monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Coach Crack Monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Couldn't you enter the second line as follows"
127.0.0.1 [tab] intellitxt.com

This would block all traffic from intellitxt.com (HT isn't the only board that uses them).</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you need to full domain name "honda-tech.us.intellitxt.com" for it to block.

Usually "honda-tech.us.intellitxt.com" and "intellitxt.com" will resolve to different ip addresses. And what you are trying to do is point the h-t address to an ip that will not allow the javascipt that creates the stupid underlining links to work properly.

So if you only add intellitxt.com to the hosts file, honda-tech.us.intellitxt.com will still resolve to the correct ip address and the links will appear.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Trial User

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (StageOne)

What StageOne said. You can't enter a wild card in the hosts file.

If you want to block other sites, you'll need to specifically enter them too. So on other sites, just view the HTML source of the site where the links show up, and search the source for intellitxt. At some point you'll see the URL that they use. Enter the full host and domain name (say, some-web-forum.us.intellitxt.com, as an example) as another line in your hosts file.

Modified by Shmeek at 1:19 PM 11/1/2005
Old 11-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Schmeek. I've blocked hundreds of ad-sites from my Hosts file, but I didnt know you could do the same with intellitext.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:42 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shmeek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To block Intellitxt.com add this to a blank line:
127.0.0.1 [tab] honda-tech.us.intellitxt.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this busted for anyone else? The green bastards came back for me today, hosts file hasn't changed
Old 11-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Trial User

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (Splat)

Weird. No annoying green lines for me. Double-check your hosts file. Maybe you didn't make the change on purpose, but some Spyware &/or Viruses on Windows rewrite the file to redirect you to ad sites.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shmeek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Weird. No annoying green lines for me. Double-check your hosts file. Maybe you didn't make the change on purpose, but some Spyware &/or Viruses on Windows rewrite the file to redirect you to ad sites.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it's fine here on my home pc as well. I'll have to check it again on Monday
Old 11-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why go through all that when you can just click on the "Click here to disable." link and they go away?

Mouse over one of the green words and click on the "What's this?" in the top right corner. It will take you to this link:

http://www.vibrantmedia.com/wh...t.com

Scroll to the bottom and click "Click here to disable." and like magic they're no longer there!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Scroll to the bottom and click "Click here to disable." and like magic they're no longer there! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Didya read the thread?

Old 11-18-2005, 09:52 AM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (maxQ)

What about disabling java? If you have one of those nifty little hardware firewall/router things you should be able to block the URL there. Thats what I did.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (maxQ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxQ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Didya read the thread?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah I read the post where someone said he can't find the link (so I provided it) and I read the one where someone said that it expires in a few weeks and comes back. Mine's been gone ever since the day after H-T put this crap on the site. The only time it's come back was when I manually reset my cookies.

Thanks for asking tho
Old 11-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah I read the post where someone said he can't find the link (so I provided it) and I read the one where someone said that it expires in a few weeks and comes back. Mine's been gone ever since the day after H-T put this crap on the site. The only time it's come back was when I manually reset my cookies.

Thanks for asking tho </TD></TR></TABLE>

My experience has been different.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

ah... thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow it WORKS!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 08:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why go through all that when you can just click on the "Click here to disable." link and they go away?

Mouse over one of the green words and click on the "What's this?" in the top right corner. It will take you to this link:

http://www.vibrantmedia.com/wh...t.com

Scroll to the bottom and click "Click here to disable." and like magic they're no longer there! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your **** is mAd tITe, yO! Green **** is gone! Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (GChambers)

Can sombody help i can't open the host file what format is it?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (natesgarage)

just use notepad
Old 03-16-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (Fuuma0083)

I used workpad to open it first and i think i messed up the file. Can someone send me the file to my e-mail nate007is@hotmail.com
Old 03-16-2006, 06:34 PM

Default Re: OT: Intellitxt Sucks - Block It (natesgarage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by natesgarage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used workpad to open it first and i think i messed up the file. Can someone send me the file to my e-mail nate007is@hotmail.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

For a home computer, the hosts file really isn't used. Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and see what's in there. If you have "hide operating system files" in your folder view options, you won't see it - take that option off.

Then, just open up Notepad, and type "127.0.0.1 &lt;tab&gt; localhost". Save with NO file extension (if you have "hide known file extensions in folder view options, take it off). Then add the intellitxt stuff from above.