Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack (https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/)
-   -   Open Lapping/Race (Videos) - '93 del Sol Si (JDM GSR, ITR S80 5-speed) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/open-lapping-race-videos-93-del-sol-si-jdm-gsr-itr-s80-5-speed-3319375/)

Curlybandit 04-30-2018 06:14 PM

Open Lapping/Race (Videos) - '93 del Sol Si (JDM GSR, ITR S80 5-speed)

Hey everyone.

I took my car out to the track for the first time yesterday (April 29th) with the new motor and transmission set up. My previous set up was a fully built NA d16z6 that made 158whp and 116wtrq with a custom ratio and Quaife LSD S40B000 5-speed. Unfortunately an exhaust valve broke at the neck when I was at the track and destroyed the motor. I recently swapped an OBD1 JDM GSR and Integra Type-R S80 5-speed. It made 198whp and 138wtrq when I had it dyno tuned earlier this month. I was feeling it out for most of the day at the track. I didn't push it as hard as would have liked just because i wasn't sure about the motor and transmission reliability. Fortunately the motor ran beautifully. The transmission has the typical 3rd gear grind. I plan on getting the synchros replaced in the next year.

I ran most of the day in the "advanced" group thanks primarily to having driven this track a few times. I did well in the corners but just couldn't stay ahead of the much more powerful cars - Porsches, Corvette, Nismo 370Z, etc. I ran the last series of laps with the "intermediate/novice" group since it was with vehicles that were comparable in power and capability.

Here's a list of the modifications:

Engine:
- OBD1 JDM GSR (1.8L DOHC VTEC)
- Integra Type-R intake camshaft
- Skunk2 Pro-Series intake manifold
- 70mm throttle body
- Skunk2 air filter with internal velocity stack
- generic 70mm short-ram intake piping
- 75A poly Innovative Mounts motor mounts
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Amsoil Signature Series 5W30 full synthetic oil

Transmission:
- Integra Type-R S80 LSD 5-speed (no idea if it's first gen or second)
- Exedy OEM clutch
- Competition Clutch 12.3lbs flywheel
- GM Synchromesh transmission fluid

Exhaust:
- GReddy 4-2-1 header
- 2.5" madrel bent exhaust
- 2x Vibrant Ultra Quite resonator (2.5") as resonator and muffler

Suspension:
- Skunk2 Pro-S V2 coil-overs: 10K front, 8K rear springs
- Buddy Club extended ball joints
- Skunk2 Pro-Series camber adjusters
- Skunk2 Black Series lower control arms with red polyurethane bushings
- Black BWR sub-frame brace
- BEAKS 22mm Integra Type-R sway bar
- unknown manufacturer upper strut bar

Rims/Tires (track):
- 15" bronze Rota Circuit 10
- BF Goodrich Rival S 205/50/15 front and back

Brakes:
- DC2 front knuckles/spindles
- Re-drilled Brembo blank 11.1" Prelude SR-V rotors
- Integra Type-R calipers
- Hawk HP+ pads front
- Hawk HPS rear
- Russell braided stainless-steel brake lines
- 1" Integra Type-R master cylinder and booster

And here are some videos!

Chasing a Subaru STI and Porsche GT4, passed by a Porsche GT3 RS (external GoPro)

Chasing an Audi RS3 (external GoPro)

Chasing a BMW 240, passing a WRX and FRS (external GoPro)

Chasing a race-prepared Hyundai Genesis Couple 2.0L Turbo (external GoPro)

Chasing a BMW 240 - runs off track and gets some air! (external GoPro)

Chasing a Honda S2000 (internal on iPhone 4 with Track Addict app) - great audio of the engine from inside the car

There are more videos on my YouTube channel.

Thanks!

dirty19 05-01-2018 06:01 AM

Re: Open Lapping/Race (Videos) - '93 del Sol Si (JDM GSR, ITR S80 5-speed)

I don't get the whole chasing thing?
Chasing what?
How is it that this open track day organization categorizes a drivers skill level?
Most curious here.

Curlybandit 05-01-2018 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dirty19 (Post 51623464)
I don't get the whole chasing thing?
Chasing what?
How is it that this open track day organization categorizes a drivers skill level?
Most curious here.

Hey dirty19.

An open lapping event is essentially a recreational track day. It's not a competitive racing event like Time Attack, for example. Anyone with a vehicle and a craving for speed can attend. They stagger the groups based on vehicle type and potential performance as well as driver skill. The "advanced" group will include high performance vehicles like the Porsche GT3 RS or even a high horsepower turbo K20 Civic as well as individuals with greater experience and driving skill. The "intermediate" group will have less powerful vehicles but not necessarily less skilled drivers. The "novice" group is self explanatory. It's not uncommon to see high performance vehicles like a GTR in this group due to driver inexperience. The organization (touge.ca) offers the option of having an instructor ride along with the beginners.

The basic premise is that each person races around the track for the purpose of getting in some laps (open lapping). When you reach a slower vehicle, that driver is supposed to signal to the faster driver that they can pass them. That way they don't impede the faster driver's progress and possibly cause a dangerous situation. In my videos I'm "chasing" some cars and passing others. A 198whp del Sol can't stay ahead of a 500hp GT3 RS so I signal them to pass. It can be very challenging and rewarding when you're chasing a "faster" car that then needs to signal you to pass. It's a great way to improve driver skill and figure out the best set up for your vehicle.

I hope this andwers your questions

dirty19 05-01-2018 10:07 AM

Ahhhh gotcha.
Kind of strange in the catagorzation.
The extreme slow down to allow someone to pass is most alarming as well.
Seems like some sort of point by thing maybe?
Situational awareness is one thing, but to allow a faster car to drive your drive is equally concerning.
The whole looking in your mirror and not in front of you stuff.

FYI...Saying that you are "chasing" might be a bit of a reach when posting here, some people might start to critique your driving.
Looks like a fun track:)

Curlybandit 05-01-2018 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dirty19 (Post 51623761)
Ahhhh gotcha.
Kind of strange in the catagorzation.
The extreme slow down to allow someone to pass is most alarming as well.
Seems like some sort of point by thing maybe?
Situational awareness is one thing, but to allow a faster car to drive your drive is equally concerning.
The whole looking in your mirror and not in front of you stuff.

FYI...Saying that you are "chasing" might be a bit of a reach when posting here, some people might start to critique your driving.
Looks like a fun track:)

The categorization is fairly straight forward and also the best way to keep all participants safe regardless of skill set. You wouldn't want a driver with no experience in a high powered vehicle on the track with similar vehicle but more experienced drivers. That is what would be unsafe. The same goes for experienced drivers in the track with novices. The organizers do their best to ensure that everyone is not only enjoying themselves, but that they are doing it safely.

It is a point-by system. Instructing the faster vehicle to pass you is done either by pointing a finger out of the window to the side you want them to pass you or by using your signal on the passing side. I can't imagine a safer way for someone to initiate a pass in an open lapping event. It's not a race so the driver ahead is not trying to block out the faster car. The "slower" vehicle doesn't dramatically reduce their speed. They only slow down enough to allow the "faster" vehicle to pass them. Once that's accomplished the "slower" vehicle continues on their way. The "slower" driver moves off the racing line, slows down just enough for the "faster" vehicle and then returns to the racing line when it's safe to do so. Multiple "faster" vehicles all pass individually.

Not sure what you mean by allowing the "faster car to drive your drive"... How can you see where the other vehicles are behind you unless you have mirrors? I quick glance in your mirror will tell you exactly where the other vehicle is and how close they are. Without them how would you know other than by completely turning your head around? When a faster vehicle approaches you it's pretty obvious. If you can't shake them - it's not a race but you're still trying to stay ahead of them - you point them by.

I think "chasing" is an appropriate term to use. The car ahead of you is still trying to stay ahead of you while you're trying to stay close enough to force them to let you pass. It's the same when you're trying to stay ahead of another vehicle. That's a major part of the fun. If I said "racing" it would be an innacurate description. You "chase" the other car until they are forced to let you pass.

It is an incredibly fun track. I would argue the best in Southen Ontario and perhaps for quite some distance around here. If you were local I'd say to come out for an event!

gramkrackers 05-04-2018 12:00 PM

I have watched a few Touge.ca events. They are interesting.

The DDT at CTMP is a fun track. It is good for lapping and time attack events and I always enjoy driving on it. It is really good for what it is. They were supposed to run regional race events on it, which I think would have been awesome but the guys with the big V8 powered cars complained enough that they haven't done it yet.

Try and get out to the Grand Prix track and experience it even just one time. It is the real deal and makes you respect the pro's and what they do.

Your car looks like a lot of fun! I have always wanted a Del Sol. Good driving too!

Curlybandit 05-04-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gramkrackers (Post 51626810)
I have watched a few Touge.ca events. They are interesting.

The DDT at CTMP is a fun track. It is good for lapping and time attack events and I always enjoy driving on it. It is really good for what it is. They were supposed to run regional race events on it, which I think would have been awesome but the guys with the big V8 powered cars complained enough that they haven't done it yet.

Try and get out to the Grand Prix track and experience it even just one time. It is the real deal and makes you respect the pro's and what they do.

Your car looks like a lot of fun! I have always wanted a Del Sol. Good driving too!

Hey gramkrackers.

Thanks for the compliment. I have driven the Grand Prix track a few times. The very first track event I ever did was the racing school with casc.on.ca in my old '96 EK coupe. It was essentially a bone stock EK with a d16y6 and bolt ons. It was an amazing experience. I've driven it a couple of time since then with my del Sol. It's a great track for the more powerful cars, especially when flooring it on the back straight. If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the fastest tracks in the world. You can build up and keep fantastic speed around the track. The best part about it are he elevation changes.

Here are are a few pics of my del Sol and one of my old EK.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...4d7c5c1f8c.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...07bec0fd24.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...9d456fe0dc.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...b2086378da.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...11ebd64b8b.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...74d167c8f9.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...7d6771e164.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...78e77c3867.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...75005f009a.jpg

gramkrackers 05-04-2018 12:52 PM

Ah very good then!

My post was essentially useless haha

KoRn_vIRuZ 05-06-2018 09:55 AM

Cool stuff! How do you rate the Del Sol vs the EK for track use? I heard chassis flex is a concern.

Curlybandit 05-06-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by KoRn_vIRuZ (Post 51627774)
Cool stuff! How do you rate the Del Sol vs the EK for track use? I heard chassis flex is a concern.

Thanks KoRn_vIRuZ!

I have nothing negative to say about the del Sol chassis. Wth that being said, I always run with the roof on. That helps to prevent a lot of the mid-chassis flex. However I don't think it would be very noticeable running the track vs doing something more demanding on the chassis like autocross. I also stiffened the basis with a sub-frame brace and 22mm ITR sway bar. The del Sol also has a relatively short wheelbase relative to the width which makes it quite square. I find this helps with the stability as well.

The EK had virtually the same suspension setup. It handled very well also. I don't think it was any better or worse than the del Sol in my estimation. One factor that I haven't mentioned yet is what kind of tire I'm using. That makes a big difference as well. I had Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 on the EK and then on the del Sol. I'm currently using BF Goodrich Rival S. Both are excellent "street" tires for the track.

KoRn_vIRuZ 05-06-2018 10:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback! :thumbup:

Curlybandit 05-06-2018 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by KoRn_vIRuZ (Post 51627783)
Thanks for the feedback! :thumbup:

My pleasure.

EchaKqulo 05-07-2018 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Curlybandit (Post 51626825)

Hey gramkrackers.

Thanks for the compliment. I have driven the Grand Prix track a few times. The very first track event I ever did was the racing school with casc.on.ca in my old '96 EK coupe. It was essentially a bone stock EK with a d16y6 and bolt ons. It was an amazing experience. I've driven it a couple of time since then with my del Sol. It's a great track for the more powerful cars, especially when flooring it on the back straight. If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the fastest tracks in the world. You can build up and keep fantastic speed around the track. The best part about it are he elevation changes.

Here are are a few pics of my del Sol and one of my old EK.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...07bec0fd24.jpg

Out of curiosity... What wheels are these in the old EK (if you can recall) and how they compare to the 15" bronze Rota Circuit 10 that you are currently using?

Curlybandit 05-07-2018 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by EchaKqulo (Post 51628406)
Out of curiosity... What wheels are these in the old EK (if you can recall) and how they compare to the 15" bronze Rota Circuit 10 that you are currently using?

They were an old set of 16" Advanti rims that I bought off someone through a local Civic forum. I have no idea what model they were. They were chrome, full of curb rash and looked rough, which is why they were cheap. I ended up cleaning them up and repairing the curb rash with spotting putting. I painted them a gunmetal grey and made centre caps using metal electrical conduit caps and stuck blue Honda "H" stickers I ordered custom. One of the rims was ruined by a local tire shop so I decided to get them properly finished and repaired at a wheel shop. I had them powder coated as well.

I only took them to the track once and that was with General Exclaim UHP summer tires and a bone stock 16-year-old suspension. After that I bought the Rotas. I really can't compare the two since I never tracked the Advanti's hard more than the one time. I can say that I'm really happy with the Rotas.

DVDr 05-27-2018 03:08 PM

Car looks great, and perfect combo for the tracks around here.

Ill be going to the next touge day this sunday @ shannie . See you there if your going.

Curlybandit 05-28-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by DVDr (Post 51645286)
Car looks great, and perfect combo for the tracks around here.

Ill be going to the next touge day this sunday @ shannie . See you there if your going.

Hey DVDr.

Thanks for the compliment. It's been built specifically for the shorter tracks around here with the CTMP DTD in mind primarily.

It's been a while since I've been to Shannonville. Other commitments make it tough to head to the events out there or at Cayuga. I'm only 30 minutes from the DDT so those are much easier to go to.

What are you driving? Details please!! Hopefully we'll get a chance to get some good laps in.

DVDr 05-28-2018 08:40 PM

DDT has always been nice, been wanting to go there after paving , I should try and make it out this year there. But same boat, cant make it out as much as I want.

I run a very basic run of the mill setup . Stock B16a , with bunch of Yonaka parts . Power wise I'm behind many on track, but its all just for fun :). Hope to share the track some time ! .

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...8b5209d5ed.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...4dc94742f2.jpg