Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Oil Pressure Fluctuation and Hard Cornering

Old 08-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Fluctuation and Hard Cornering

Before I get started, I already figure I'm in need of Accusump and am planning to add that to my setup before I run any more events unless I'm told I'll be fine without it in the mean time. That being said, I finally got to run my GSR swapped SMF Civic at a local autocross today for the first time since the rebuild. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge and set up a camera to monitor the pressure for later review since I can watch it while driving. I'm getting some pretty serious fluctuation as I reach the limit of grip (anywhere from my normal 80psi down to 40psi). Is any fluctuation at all normal, or am I correct in thinking that if all is well then it'll never change any more than when accelerating in a straight line? I have a 5.5qt Moroso oil pan on the car with a 275/205 stagger on Hoosier A7's (15x11 front and 15x8 rear). My local venue's pavement is sealed asphalt. While it is grippy for sealed pavement, it's definitely not a grippy as good non-sealed asphalt such at where the Dixie Champ Tour is held. So I don't know how many lateral G's I'm pulling (not as much as it could be on better pavement that I'm sure many of you regularly run on, but enough to cause this it seems). Oil was perfectly filled on the dipstick, maybe less than a tenth of a quart over full. Does anyone overfill their crankcase? If so, how much is safe before one would worry about aerating the oil? Or is it best to not even think of such things and not race the car until it gets an Accusump? Would those drops to 40psi have hurt anything in those short bursts? (I'm pretty sure any long sweeper would totally starve it after a few seconds) Here's a link to the video from my oil gauge cam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceJj...ature=youtu.be