Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

The Official Formula 1 2019 Season Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2019 Season Thread

Originally Posted by Outrun View Post
Why did Fred leave after two titles in a row? Were key technical people also leaving?
Hard to turn down a #1 driver spot at McLaren I would imagine. At least back then, anyways.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 AM
eight equals equals equals D

A little long turtle race recap - but first some back story.

The turtle eclipse of the heart last raced back in 2017 at NJMPs Thunderbolt circuit. When I found out we would miss the 2018 event, I became a 'free agent' and raced with a Mustang team for 2018 and then found myself with a Chumpcar Prelude team (and got introduced to something called "winning"). It's interesting to race with new teams because everyone has their own way of doing things so you try to pick up on what works and apply it to your own team. Sadly, I couldn't rally the turtle guys to invest in a cool suit, or live video feeds, or live telemetry - we barely had working radios (and for 2 stints we didn't even have that). But we did have cool t-shirts so I'll take that as small victory.

For 2019, lemons decided to move the date for the NJMP to the 1st week of June, and for some reason change circuits from Thunderbolt (which is awesome - IMSA races there) to the shorter Lightning circuit (meh track). I was pretty bummed about the change as Thunderbolt is one of my favorites, and the long straight there really suits the turtle car - as we can usually pull 5 or 6 cars a lap with all the power we make. But any day at the track is a good day - usually.

In chump, cars are classed by engine displacement, with power adders like turbos and superchargers, bumping you up one class above your displacement. In Lemons, its up to the judges. If you have a crappy car, you'll be in C - the slow class. You'll find a lot of cars pre-1990s there. B is moderately sporty to sports cars, and class A is the BMWs and fast guys. Our car is a solid A car - however, our drivers are not. Only one has ever auto-crossed, two of them drag raced DSMs for years and then there's me - who plays Forza. The questionable reliability of a DSM and lack of spares (we couldn't find a new or reman'd set of rear calipers in the entire country) means you don't see many of these cars in chump or lemons, but with quality drivers, they are winners. Aaaanyway, the last few races, Lemons has attempted to put us in A, but we have successfully bribed our way back to B. For this race we felt we'd really need to step it up in the bribe department. We stopped by the local liquor store and picked up some random beers - mostly green canned ones to fit our theme, but we slipped in a few Naturdays and a 32 of High Life along with some quality Bourbon our beer snob teammates picked out. (we were trying to get the judges items that began with "B" - beer, bourbon... and *****) So with the first two handled, we needed some *****. We stopped by 3 convenience stores and not a single nudey mag could be found. Google Assistant showed an Adult book and movie store just a mile away, so with that info we head off to the The Red Barn. We arrived and found that they had parking around the rear - and it was packed! They had vintage playboys on one shelf, several racks of DVDs and toys - and behind the curtain were the viewing booths and the main theatre - we could hear the moans. We decided on two vintage playboys from 1993 - the year the car was made - one was the Girls of the Pac 10 with Jenny McCarthy. The offering was complete.

Back at the track, we placed the alcohol in a cooler IN the turtle sandbox on the roof, and closed the “shell” on top. We entered the “BS Inspection” line with Bonnie Tyler’s “Total Eclipse of the Heart” cued up on repeat on the Bluetooth Speakers. The Playboys were on the windshield held tight by the wipers with our passed Tech Sheet on top. As the judges got a look at the car, before we had a chance to make our offering - the first judge pulled his pen out and was just about to write an “A” on our tech sheet. Not so fast! I turned on the wipers – pulling the tech sheet away from his pen, and revealing the Playboys below! Then we popped open the turtle and gave them the booze. Mission accomplished. We were placed in class B and received a new “bribed” stencil on our hood.

After BS inspection it was time to shake the car down and give all our drivers a little seat time to get reacquainted with the car and track. Decided to run lower boost for reliability and tuned the car to retard the timing any time it sensed knock, with a warning light to come on when timing hit (-)3į. For driver order, we used to run, 1,2,3,4, and repeat, changing drivers as we run out of gas. A team I raced with previously used a format that allowed every driver to "take a flag" - either a green or checker each day, so we went with a 1,2,3,4 on day One, and 2,4,1,3 on day two - and we decided to run to a predetermined time instead of no fuel, ensuring equal seat time. Last race we did, it rained, and two drivers got 3 hour stints instead of 2, which resulted in 2 drivers only getting 1 stint. So for this race, we let the 2 drivers that lucked out to get first pick on their stints. I was one of the luck ones that got two stints so took what was left, and drove 4th on day one and 2nd on day 2. I wanted the first driver to go near the end on day 2 so he could give an assessment on the tire deg. This didn't really work since he had a ton of traffic to start day 1, and much less on day 2, so we had much faster lap times on shitty tires.

Saturday morning, we got the car lined up first on the grid (yes!) and drove our pit vehicle to the closest spot to pit road. In Lemons, you pit in the hot pit, but don't have a dedicated spot like Chump does, so you have to haul all your fuel to and from pit lane for each stop. NO work is allowed on the car, no cleaning windows, no checking lug nuts, tire pressures, oil - nothing. A bit of a bummer. At 9:30 the cars roll off to the track. 130 of the 133 cars entered circle around under yellow until timing and scoring makes sure all the transponders are working properly. We thought we might get the green flag in First - well because we're the Turtle car - but when the flag was thrown at random we found ourselves back in 67th. By lap 10, we’re up to 36th and by our first pit stop on Lap 50, we’re up to 14th. We get driver 2 in the car after a 4 minute pit stop and he heads back out in 27th,, 10 minutes behind the lead car. By lap 85, we’re back in 10th, and 5 min behind the leader. I head off to take a ****…but when I come back, I see the turtle car driving through the paddock so I take off running. I get back to our camp and see our other 2 drivers walking around not looking too concerned. They said, that driver 2 saw the temps go up and pulled in to take a look. Everything checked out and so they sent him back. We were now in 40th place, 15 minutes behind the leader, and wasn’t happy when I found out that we didn’t take that time to refuel while he came in…8 laps later, and he’s back in for our driver change. Driver 3 gets in and heads out in 39th, 25 minutes back. He manages to get us back up to 19th before handing off the car to me to finish the day off. He came in about 15 minutes earlier than expected and said has low on fuel, so it looks like we might not make it to the end without having to pit again. I head out in 23rd and keep my eye on the gauges. After 10 or so laps, the fuel gauge hasn’t moved and I’m thinking we just might make it… but then it starts dropping faster and faster as I tick off the laps. With 20 min to go, we’re up to 17th and I have to come in to pit. The timing and scoring app took a ****, so had no idea where we were or how far back we were at this point, but it turned out we didn’t lose any places during our refueling. We finish Day 1 in 17th place overall and 3rd in class.

That evening we changed the front pads, bed them and then refuel. We discover that refueling at night, we can get almost 4 more gallons in the car than what we were getting in the hot pits. So it seems that our vents not venting enough to allow us to get those last few gallons in unless we pour them EXTREMELY slow. Nothing we can do at this point, so we filled it up to the brim and decide to let Driver 1 on day 2 go til empty.

For the start of Day 2, lemons lines up the top 10 cars in order and lets them go out first. The 2 cars ahead of us in B class are in the top 10 and get to be in the fancy line. Again, we’re able to get first spot to lead out the rest of the cars to start day 2. Driver 1 gets a lap or 2 back on the B class cars ahead, but we’re still pretty far behind. At this point most of the cars have laps between them rather than seconds, so it takes a while to move up – or down – so you cross your fingers for a black flag or long pit stop… but unfortunately luck was not on our side. With 2 hours to go on Day 2, we were running in 8th with our last pit stop of the day. Our driver pulls in with a flat right rear. No tire changing in the pits so we have to go back to the camp to change it, and in hindsight, we should have refueled there (which is a Lemons no-no when the track is live), but we refueled in the pits before heading off for fresh rubber, dropping us down to 10th. With just about 90 minutes to go, we sent the last guy and hoped for the best. I used the last stint to get some pics and movies. As the checker came out I tried to get a picture of the turtle at the flag stand – and I did – even had a VW Rabbit right behind – like a photo finish, but a Ford Probe positioned himself on the side of the track, so it looked like the turtle was on his roof… oh well! We finished with our best result yet of 9th overall (previous best was 14th) and tied our best class finish of 3rd.

Stuff I left out:

Knock/no boost
The knock sensor was coming on under partial throttle in 4th gear. The last turn that leads on to the front straight is a bank bowl called The Lightbulb - so more often the not, the warning light would come on and we'd have to lift and stab the gas to clear the light - which meant we'd enter the fastest part of the track with... no boooooost. really sucked when we'd be hanging with the fastest cars for a lap or 3 and then have them leave us on the straight while we're pedaling the throttle.

Poor flagging/ No FCYs
The track featured several little hills, and often times you'd come over the crest of one at speed to find a parking lot of cars that were nearly stopped for a yellow. You'd have situations where 3 or 4 stations we're yellow and then the next 2 where clear, and then 2 after were white. One a 1.9 mile track with 130 cars, it was an issue. And since they never or rarely went FCY, we were unable to take advantage of those times to pit for fuel and minimize the positions lost in the pits.

Crappy radios/no telemetry
We lost 30 positions coming in to check on an overheating issue. If we had telemetry or decent radios, we could have handled that on track without losing 10 minutes to pull off and try to figure it out. I'm not certain we'll have the telemetry for the next race, but we're definitely gonna have to upgrade our walkie talkie system - with at least an externally mounted long range antenna...

Cool cars
It goes without saying that Lemons races will feature some bizarre and interesting cars. This race was no different. We had a 1950s Hudson that is a faithful replica of Mario/Adlo Andretti's first dirt track car, Speedycop's Fishbowl MR2 with 2 pacer rear ends, a 70s Cadillac with giant, 6' tall Hurst shifter mounted to the back, and of course, an Eclipse with a Turtle Sandbox on the roof.

the lemons atmosphere
The night life featured a pot luck dinner with several hundred pounds of bacon, and an inflatable hot tub. Scott Barton built a simulator with VR headset and actuators to pitch you in every direction. There was a DJ in a tent, with a 7-series BMW pouring beers out of its trunk mounted keg tap, and at one point 4 people were jumping on it - and it raced the next day.

Last edited by Tim2179; 06-12-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:07 AM
K5^
Brand New

Originally Posted by 1158 View Post
Forgot #blessed. Application under review...
Hallelujah!

#blessed
#godisgood
#maFIA4lyfe
Old 06-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BauleyCivic View Post
Too many shitboxes in this thread, need to save it asap
Buck up little camper! The 24 Hours or LeMalonso is this weekend.

The good news is he's already qualified, only has 1 other car to beat, and the message Fernando is faster than you has already been beaten into the other team's heads.

Car just has to last 24 hours, likely turtle stepping, and he can claim another glorious 24 hour win.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Hard to turn down a #1 driver spot at McLaren I would imagine. At least back then, anyways.
Is that ground zero for Fred's curse of bad decision making?

The R26 wasnt the greatest car, but the team gave up halfway through the season. With Fred around I suspect the car would have been moar competitive and he would have been able to help with development.

Would love access to Farnsworth's what if machine right now to see what would have happened to his career if he had stayed at Renault in 2007.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Risky Business

Is that ground zero for Fred's curse of bad decision making?
No. Renault were nowhere in 2007 and McLaren were finishing 1-2 by the 2nd race. His handling of the spy gate situation with Ron was ground zero.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No. Renault were nowhere in 2007 and McLaren were finishing 1-2 by the 2nd race. His handling of the spy gate situation with Ron was ground zero.
Then karma, Trulli she is a bitch.

It's a shame that such a skilled driver's career was pissed away. He still provided lots of great moments, but my thoughts about Fred always turn to what could have been.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 AM

At least he had the chance to be in a title winning car w/Renault (and McLaren). How many great drivers are out there that never got the chance?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Risky Business

Then karma, Trulli she is a bitch.

It's a shame that such a skilled driver's career was pissed away. He still provided lots of great moments, but my thoughts about Fred always turn to what could have been.
Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
At least he had the chance to be in a title winning car w/Renault (and McLaren). How many great drivers are out there that never got the chance?
Agree with Tim. I don't think of what could have been. His stats certainly don't reflect his talent, but 2 WDC's, 32 wins, almost 100 podiums and 7 times finishing in the top 3 in the championship is a fantastic career.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Agree with Tim. I don't think of what could have been. His stats certainly don't reflect his talent, but 2 WDC's, 32 wins, almost 100 podiums and 7 times finishing in the top 3 in the championship is a fantastic career.
No doubt and being in lesser cars did often lead to some great driving displays. Even with the bad decisions all he needed was a little luck and he'd be a 5 time WDC. 8 points between 2 time WDC and 5 time WDC.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:04 AM
What is this crap?

blocking HAM from getting a final qualy run Hungary '07 was the end

when RD chucked his headset down and took off after him you knew it was spicy

'08 crashgate was not a good look either even if he claimed to be ignorant of it
Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 AM

brilliant move on ALOs part.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM
What is this crap?

Alonso whispers into his ear, "I could end you right now."
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Risky Business

I think personalitywise I won't miss him when he stops racing for good, much prefer a guy like LEC who seems way more down to Earth.

But the guy was an absolute animal behind the wheel. You think back, and there really isn't anyone like him...and hasn't been except for MAYBE GES (Golden Era Schumacher). Consistently outperform/outqualify every teammate year after year, hardly ever lose spots on the opening lap, rare mistakes in the races.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:49 AM
What is this crap?

yup
Old 06-12-2019, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But did he ever pass the great MS on the outside of Parabolica? :p
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I still want Alonso come back to F1, it it doesnt work out, thats it for him.

In a Merc? Woot......
Old 06-13-2019, 05:21 AM
Risky Business

Originally Posted by Takashi1978 View Post
I still want Alonso come back to F1, it it doesnt work out, thats it for him.

In a Merc? Woot......
No chance. They have a perfect situation as-is. They want Ocon in the second seat eventually, but how many years is that going to take?

Also, I think HAM is going after Schumacher's win number so he'll probably last a few more years.

Just looking at HAM's race result chart over the last 5.5 years is mind boggling.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:54 AM
What is this crap?

my god...even having sat through all those races... damn that's ridiculous to see it laid out like that

i'm actually impressed he isn't hated more right now #blessed #bestfans
Old 06-13-2019, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There was one race where Fred stayed out and didnít pit right away and I think the front wing or a tire on his Ferrari failed and he crashed out. He mightíve won the title if he scored in that race.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:01 AM
Risky Business

Originally Posted by Outrun View Post
There was one race where Fred stayed out and didnít pit right away and I think the front wing or a tire on his Ferrari failed and he crashed out. He mightíve won the title if he scored in that race.
Belgium 2010?

That was his only retirement in 2010 and his only retirements in 2012 were the first corner incidents at Spa and Suzuka.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 AM

well now we know the root of Booley's vettel hate.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think thatís it. I checked the standings and he lost the title by 4 points.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM

2016, Ham had 10 wins and still lost the title. That's got to be a record
Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 AM
What is this crap?

In Malaysia: "No no noooooooo!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: