Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The Official Formula 1 2010 Season Thread

or kova setting kimi on fire!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Princess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Checking in/subscribing... Great 1st post Dustin

I wonder if Kimi will lower his (IMO) absurd salary demands and take the best (or second best?) seat available on the grid. I think the days of making $30mil+/year are over. While he's at it, Kimi needs to prove us all wrong and prove he's still the fastest man on the grid. 4 years ago, that was without question. Now?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ...esteban

I wonder if Kimi will lower his (IMO) absurd salary demands and take the best (or second best?) seat available on the grid. I think the days of making $30mil+/year are over. While he's at it, Kimi needs to prove us all wrong and prove he's still the fastest man on the grid. 4 years ago, that was without question. Now?
I dont think he cares to prove anything else since he already won his championship. I think he is done with F1 and just wants to go somewhere with less politics and more driving (like rallying).

He basically states that unless the contract is perfect (meaning a clause to allow him to rally and almost a non-negotiable sign on $$$), he doesn't really care to be in F1 next year.

Stupid, I know. But, more than understandable. It seems the Scandinavians are tough headed and just want to race for race sake.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rota92
However, perhaps this will allow for closer racing for longer. I always hated the first stint when racing was good, then after stops everyone is spread out and on different loads.
It becomes a numbers game after that, I start paying attention to the times and it's almost like they're scoring goals when you see them trading tenths IMO. I guess since I've started watching more recently than most in here I'm a bit more unbiased when it comes to the field being spread apart. Some races are more eventful than others but I thoroughly enjoy watching each and everyone, the cars, the fans, the engineers, the team, the tracks and the technology involved. It a full time job just to keep up with the sport. Closer racing would be cool though.

Last edited by 1200 Hobos; 11-08-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 AM
I'm here for the gangbang!

I wonder what the difference in fuel is between the least and most fuel needed to finish a race. They're all roughly 300km long but I'm sure some use a lot of fuel compared to others. I would think Monza or Spa would use the most where Singapore or Monaco would use less. I don't know.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 AM

Do you think they'd create multiple chassis to accomodate different fuel loads, if the difference is that great. For example, if one race only needs 100L of fuel, where as another needs 120L do you think they'd just use the same chassis?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ...esteban

Kimi seems to forget that throughout 2008 and the first half of 2009, Massa and him were evenly matched. Raikkonen wouldn't even be world champion if McLaren didn't shoot themselves in the foot in 2007. He's a clown to be asking for as much money as he is.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by BauleyCivic
Kimi seems to forget that throughout 2008 and the first half of 2009, Massa and him were evenly matched. Raikkonen wouldn't even be world champion if McLaren didn't shoot themselves in the foot in 2007. He's a clown to be asking for as much money as he is.
How do you consider Massa and Kimi to be evenly matched for 2008 when Massa scored 22 points more than him? Serious question.

2009 was closer but Massa had 5 points finishes with a podium, where as Kimi only had 3 points finishes with a podium before Massa's accident.

Edit: would you consider Jenson and Rubens evenly matched for 2009? They only finished 18 points apart, but Jenson clearly dominated the first half and it wasn't until he eased off that Rubens evened up to him and even then Rubens says that it's the brakes, not Jenson giving up.

Last edited by Lewie; 11-09-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Risky Business

Originally Posted by Lewie
How do you consider Massa and Kimi to be evenly matched for 2008 when Massa scored 22 points more than him? Serious question.
Well...here's the entire season and the driver that was faster that weekend.

Melbourne - Kimi
Sepang - Kimi
Bahrain - Massa
Spain - Kimi
Turkey - Massa
Monaco - Massa
Canada - Kimi
France - Kimi
Silverstone - Kimi
Germany - Massa
Hungary - Massa
Valencia - Massa
Spa - Kimi
Monza - Massa
Singapore - Massa
Japan - Kimi
China - Kimi
Brazil - Massa

Kimi was faster exactly half the races. A lot of those results were squandered though. He was knocked out by Hamilton in Canada, his exhaust came loose in France, he spun on the last lap at Spa, and had to give his position up in China. When Massa was faster, he usually won the race.

Last edited by BauleyCivic; 11-09-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by BauleyCivic
Well...here's the entire season and the driver that was faster that weekend.

Melbourne - Kimi
Sepang - Kimi
Bahrain - Massa
Spain - Kimi
Turkey - Massa
Monaco - Massa
Canada - Kimi
France - Kimi
Silverstone - Kimi
Germany - Massa
Hungary - Massa
Valencia - Massa
Spa - Kimi
Monza - Massa
Singapore - Massa
Japan - Kimi
China - Kimi
Brazil - Massa

Kimi was faster exactly half the races. A lot of those results were squandered though. He was knocked out by Hamilton in Canada, his exhaust came loose in France, he spun on the last lap at Spa, and had to give his position up in China. When Massa was faster, he usually won the race.
What are you using, fast laps? Cause those definitely aren't indicative of anything. A lot of Massa's results were squandered. Melbourne - qualifying problem, Sepang - spin, Canada - refuling problem, Britain - rain
Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Risky Business

What are you using, fast laps? Cause those definitely aren't indicative of anything.
Using mah memory.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:02 AM

Does anyone know if F1 fuel tanks have some sort of vacuum process (or something to limit the air space inside the fuel tank) to them so that the fuel doesn't splash around inside? I can only imagine how crazy that weight transfer would be if the fuel was just sloshing around inside.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:38 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fuel cells are filled with foam that absorbs the fuel and keeps it from sloshing. This eliminates the sudden weight transfer you're talking about, and also prevents fuel starvation during high-force cornering when the level is low.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Anyone w/an Autosport subscription want to post the rest of this article?

Analysing the refuelling ban

Tony Dodgins looks ahead to life after the refuelling ban in 2010 and assesses the affect it will have on qualifying and the racing next season The jury still seems to be out on whether next year's refuelling ban is a good thing.
I remember well how controversial its reintroduction was in 1994. Men such as Ron Dennis had serious reservations and thought it was inevitable that sooner or later we'd have a serious incident in the pits. That was reinforced when a relatively trifling spillage created a conflagration around Jos Verstappen's Benetton at Hockenheim.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim2179
Anyone w/an Autosport subscription want to post the rest of this article?
Okay but the Benetton team modified the fuel rig and removed the filter from it so it would pump faster. Had they not done so, the incident wouldn't have happened.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa250R
Fuel cells are filled with foam that absorbs the fuel and keeps it from sloshing. This eliminates the sudden weight transfer you're talking about, and also prevents fuel starvation during high-force cornering when the level is low.
No, the fuel cells are not filled with absorbant foam. They have baffels in them but are not filled with foam. If they were filled with an absorbant material, they would not be able to refill at the speed in which they do so. The refueling speed would be limited not by how quickly you can displace the air in the fuel cell but by how quickly the absorbant material could soak up the fuel.

The way they prevent the fuel starvation is secondary fuel cells that are smaller and have fuel constantly flowing through them from the main tank and the fuel rails are fed from the secondary cells. That's why Honda was slammed for it's penalty. They didn't empty their second fuel cell when they went to weight in.

EDIT: I'm looking for evidence but I'm almost certain that the main fuel cells also collapse on themselves like Lewie was saying.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So what does everyone think about USF1, will they make it to the grid on 2010 or will they flake out in Febuary? There are a few articles on this.

Vaporware is a term associated with Silicon Valley startups that are not quite what they claim to be. USF1's first major sponsor was a huge coup: YouTube... Or at least that's what everyone thought at first. The truth was somewhat less exciting as you will remember, Chad Hurley, one of YouTube's founders had agreed to invest in the team, an unknown amount of course. In reality once the news went out about YouTube there was little effort to really clarify the situation and that's perhaps understandable for a startup looking to attract attention.

Fast forward to the end of the 2009 season and we start hearing conflicting rumors of the health of some of those new teams who are to step in and fill the gaps left by Toyota and Sauber. USF1 in particular has been at the center of a lot of talk. Yes, they showed pictures of CNC machines and autoclaves but, frankly, they could have just as well been pictures from anywhere.

Then came the announcement that USF1 would not, as was their founding principle, hire American drivers. This was blamed on the delay signing the concorde agreement and on the fact that no available American driver possessed, or is in a position to be approved for, an FIA superlicense. OK right.

Before the final GP in AbuDhabi there was the announcement that USF1 had chosen as a European base of operations, Motorland, a motorsport complex in Aragon, Spain. That is great, where are the trucks, hospitality facilities, tooling, crew...

But what I think really got people talking online is the clip the Speed TV crew (of which Peter Windsor is a part of) slapped together for their Abu Dhabi broadcast.

Ostensively a visit by commentator Steve Matchett to the USF1 headquarters in North Carolina, it struck many as odd, especially the section with the computer modeling. Take a look...

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...vaporware.html

(video inside link)

Of course you cannot expect a company to show you their secrets but from that clip it looked to many like USF1 has a different sort of secret to hide.

This week we have a quote from World Champion Ross Brawn about how USF1 has yet to crash test any of their components, "For a beginner that's strange" said Brawn. The same report has Peter Windsor as the only person at a recent FOTA meeting who questioned the rule preventing teams from selling their entry spot.

If it turns out USF1 will not make the 2010 grid was it correct of SPEED TV and Windsor to create segments that perpetuate the illusion there is any fire behind the smoke? Maybe that's what David Hobbs' double take was really about.

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...vaporware.html

But then.....

Peter Windsor has denied reports that USF1 will not be ready for next season, following claims that the team has yet to start crash testing and could be for sale.

"The report seemed to come out of Switzerland/Germany, the land of BMW Sauber," sporting director Windsor told GPWeek, referring to the fact that the Hinwil-based team has not yet been granted entry into next year’s championship.

Windsor said "several" components for the 2010 car have been "successfully" crash-tested, and that more tests will take place this and next month.

He denied he recently voted in favour of having the ability to sell USF1's entry, and also shed doubt on the context of quotes attributed to Ross Brawn, where the Brackley-based team's boss seemed to question whether USF1 will be ready to debut next March

"Back in the real world, we're re-furbishing some trucks we've just bought from Brawn," said Windsor. "As for USF1 Team, I can only repeat what Ken (Anderson) and I have been saying ever since we signed the Concorde Agreement: our slot is not for sale under any circumstances and we will be racing, and giving it 100%, from Bahrain onwards."

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...09132443.shtml
Just from watching the video I can say that the team looks very, very far from being done. A lack of personnel, physical designs and parts, and the empty rooms just doesn't feel like an F1 team.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Is USF1 going to be at Bahrain? Probably.

Are they going to do anything but be a backmarker? No.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Risky Business

Hey...Super Aguri made a team in like 4 months. Maybe USF1 can pull off a miracle too.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 AM

Super Aguri put new vinyls on their cars, they didn't create a new team.

looks like your memory isn't that good

Last edited by Lewie; 11-09-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Risky Business

They had to construct new bodywork because the regulations were a lot different from 2002 The base chassis remained, but most of it had to be changed.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Risky Business

Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 AM

...and they took over Midlands Enfield base, which already had all of the machines/equipment and didn't have to do any crash testing or chassis design.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Risky Business

...and they took over Midlands Enfield base, which already had all of the machines/equipment and didn't have to do any crash testing or chassis design.
Really?

"It has converted the 2002 Arrows chassis to current F1 specification as a stopgap measure while it completes its own design ready for the start of the European leg of the season"
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.a...35084&PO=35084

"Super Aguri SA05 passes crash test"
http://www.f1network.net/main/s169/st90357.htm
Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 AM

They took over a team, they didn't create a team. SA =/= USF1

Quick Reply: The Official Formula 1 2010 Season Thread