Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Moroso oil pan or stock (leaking moroso)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moroso oil pan or stock (leaking moroso)

I know this was cover 1000 times, but I didnt see any solid answer.

We run a 96 Type R motor in a 95 delsol. Have a moroso race pan on it. Worked great for the first 2 years. Last year after the motor swap, it leaked. Changed the gasket 3 times. twice with no sealant, still leaked, once with a light film, and its barlly seaped, so we ran it that way. I pulled the pan over the winter, unbend the mounting tabs and reinstalled the same way. New gasket (honda) and a thin film of sealer (vw oil pan sealer). torque'd to spec. Hit the track and she had a big old oil leak. Mainly on the left side next to the crank.

Main problem is, first race is this sunday. I have the stock oil pan here. I can just grab a new gasket and put the stock pan back on and hope it doesnt leak. But will it be okay without baffles? We dont have any really long sweepers, and we ran the stock pan for 2 years on the old B17 motor without a problem. Only reving to 8200. The current R motor only uses a Litre of oil per race day, 3 15 lap races and a 1 hour. So lossing the extra capacity isnt going to hurt us to much. Car also has a oil cooler setup.

Does anyone make a cork gasket that will work on the moroso pan, and has anyone ever tried mounting the pan, with out a gasket and just sealer?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Moroso oil pan or stock (leaking moroso)

Password JDM and others have a baffle kit for the stock pan.

Password:JDM Oil Pan Baffle (B-Series) | Password JDM
Old 05-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Straighten your pan again and buy this. I got mine in 3 days.

http://myhondahabit.com/index.php/my...an-gasket.html
Old 05-20-2015, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ordered the gasket and stud kit last night. Only problem is it will not be here until june 1st ish. So this weekend coming I still need to sort it out. Aftermarket Gasket coming in tomorrow, but not sure what i should do. Retry the moroso one and do some laps of the dealership and see if it leaks, or just jam the factory one on and run it.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the mounting surface of the pan make sure that its flat. I know the moroso extra capacity pans are notorius for leaking. I even had a factory 1 do the same thing. with years of heating and cooling it warped just enough. another trick is to use sealant and install the pan but let it sit overnight before adding oil to make sure it dries enough.
also check out hondas ultra-flang sealant. eveyone loves the honda bonda ht but the ultra has higher heat and chemical resistance.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I find torquing the pans as described in the manual hasn't worked for me. When torquing them down to spec I find that it squishes the gasket too much and unevenly causing leaks. Instead of torquing them to spec I usually leave them a hair loose in some spots and a bit tighter in others. I look at the gasket and when it starts to squish and bulg I stop; I look to have an even amount of bulging around the entire pan.

This being said that has been with OEM and aftermarket replacement pans but not a Moroso.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Load it up with sealant and keep your fingers crossed. Back when I was 17 I had to change my oil pan on my B16. I had no idea what the tq specs were or anything. I loaded the original gasket up with black RTV and installed my second hand oil pan. I never thought to check for straightness or anything. I tightened the bolts to tight-enough and it never leaked. That was 12 years ago and I look back now and wonder how it didn't leak lol
Old 05-20-2015, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We had to bend the flange back this winter. Every bolt hole was bend up more then the little tabs. Ill check it again. I have a few studs i plan to install as well. Going to put them were it leaks the most. It seems that the bolts torque mush different then the studs. Using a snap-on digital torque wrench, and i found it was almost 2 full extra turns with the bolts then the studs to get the factory torque. I left it overnight last time as well with no fluids to help it seal. planning on that again. When i get the gasket from honda, ill grab a tube on there sealant as well.

It sucks coming to the first race weekend of the year fighting a oil leak.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've grinded the tabs/dimples of an oem pan & moroso pan flat, and ran just hondabond/ultragrey without a gasket & without issues.

This came after much frustration with oem & aftermarket gaskets failing time & time again.

I haven't seen the myhondahabit gasket before but that looks like a good solution too.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ditto on the MyHondaHabit gasket. I had so many problems with oem gaskets, always leaked no matter what. I went with the MyHondaHabit gasket, it torqued down really nice and doesn't leak. Its worth the $$.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went back to the oem pan with baffles and left the moroso headaches behind.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:55 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by known
I just went back to the oem pan with baffles and left the moroso headaches behind.
Corey you back in the game?
Old 05-28-2015, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the Moroso pan currently resides in the metal bin. We turned about 15 laps in practice, blew another gasket out. same as all the others. Plus we had leaks from the side. Little pin holes. So i had the stock oil pan with the original gasket still stuck to it. Cleaned it all up and put it on Saturday at the track. Went back out and turned another 10 laps before the practice ended. No leaks. Kinda pissed as i missed the 2 school races for the rookies. Sisters boyfriend won his race and his father won his. They just bought a 89 CRX.

Anyway, raced all Sunday with nothing more then a damp oil pan gasket. Not one drip from it. Had no problems with oil pressure. Would like to put a baffle kit in our pan just for insurance. Any one kit better then the other?

But on a positive note, we now have all 3 gens of the CRX at the track. lol.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joel n
Well, the Moroso pan currently resides in the metal bin. We turned about 15 laps in practice, blew another gasket out. same as all the others. Plus we had leaks from the side. Little pin holes. So i had the stock oil pan with the original gasket still stuck to it. Cleaned it all up and put it on Saturday at the track. Went back out and turned another 10 laps before the practice ended. No leaks. Kinda pissed as i missed the 2 school races for the rookies. Sisters boyfriend won his race and his father won his. They just bought a 89 CRX.

Anyway, raced all Sunday with nothing more then a damp oil pan gasket. Not one drip from it. Had no problems with oil pressure. Would like to put a baffle kit in our pan just for insurance. Any one kit better then the other?

But on a positive note, we now have all 3 gens of the CRX at the track. lol.
Be careful with sweepers and quick transitions with a non-baffled oil pan. I have had oil starvation issues in the past. I had been told that it should not be a problem on street tires, but I have had issues with the RS-3.

I personally went with a used stock oil pan with baffles already welded in I found locally. I have had no issues with oil pressure since. I highly recommend them. I'll check if I can find the brand again, but they pretty much look all the same from what I recall when I shopped around.

I'm sure that the Moroso pan does a better job, but I'll only consider it if the problem ever comes back.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, car hasnt seen a street tire for a while. Hoosier and Nitto/toyos. We dont have many long sweepers. 2 high speed corners, 7 is about 84MPH, and 8 is about 87MPH. both corners have our data showing between .8-1.45G. I tried my best to watch the oil pressure gauge in the sweepers, but i am just a mistake away from running out of race track at the speed we are carring. Since we know the pressure was staying strong and the oil is staying in the motor, we can go back to resetting the FWD track record. lol.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another +1 for the honda habit kit. Had constant issues with the OEM gasket but once I slapped on the kit it's been bone dry since.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joel n
lol, car hasnt seen a street tire for a while. Hoosier and Nitto/toyos.
Well, this means that oil starvation may be even more of a problem for you.

As for reading gauges will cornering, a good trick I found is to video record the gauges while I am driving. It's much easier to look at gauges when you are not concentrating on driving/in the comfort of your living room.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
Corey you back in the game?
Ha ha hey man, no I still have the civic on jack stands and the race motor in plastic wrap!