Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Moroso Oil PAN LEAKAGE HELP PLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Moroso Oil PAN LEAKAGE HELP PLS

To say that I'm unhappy with my Moroso oil pan is a huge understatement.
I had mine shipped (P/N 20910/20911) from the US to Australia via ebay just over two months ago.
I had it professionally installed by a garage close to my house and they charged me a small fortune to install it. (I'm running the standard B16A2 in a Civic EK4)
A brand new oem gasket was used. When my car was ready i took it for a 20 min spin around the area and all seemed fine. The very next day after a 5 minute drive home from work I lost oil pressure just as I was parking my car. The oil light was flickering on and off.
The next day i started the car and the oil light was on solid, not flickering. So i drove it back to the garage. They did an oil pressure test and confirmed that i had zero pressure.
Alarm bells started to ring but i decided to give the moroso the benefit of the doubt.
I had a new oem oil pump fitted and a major service was done at the same time costing me $1800.
For the next few weeks I was consistently checking under the car and oil was pooling on the bottom of the pan. Not heaps, but enough to make you think it's a little strange considering it's brand new, with a brand new gasket right?
Then just last week the flickering light happened again. Followed by a solid red oil light the next day. The car is currently at the garage, they said the car has zero oil pressure and I need a new oil pump again! Without me saying anything, they asked if i could also bring back my old oil pan because they think that this oil pan could be causing the issue.
So, soon to have thrown $3000 down the toilet, I'm going back to the old oil pan!

Originally Posted by Robin6
Also look over the welds on the new pan as well as clean up all the weld mess...
The condition of mine was like this. It's atrocious that this even makes it out of the factory.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by njn63
I just looked that up. $55 for a paper gasket? Holy crap.
Originally Posted by bks84
I received my hondahabit gasket. Apparently they're made by cometic.
My HondaHabit is nothing more than a middleman in this transaction. They do nothing that I am aware of than ship you the Cometic Gasket that you can order for half the price. The stud kit is worth the $11, the Cometic Gasket should be ordered directly.

I have never had a seepage issue with any pan once that gasket was installed. Highly recommend the Cometic to any of you guys doing anything with the oil pan.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just figured i would add that we havnt had any leakage from the 5.5Q race pan. Using a honda oilpan gasket and i just bought the studs straight from honda. Installed them and torqued them to spec. No leakage, no problem and i love the pan. We did a little off track slide the second weekend with the pan and cracked the bottom. Oh well, JB weld!!! We are going to plate the bottom this winter to save us any future problems.

Also it has about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap from the pickup to the pan base. Everyone should be checking this during the install. Plus it gives you a idea on how much bend you can do. lol
Old 01-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock pan with baffles works better than the moroso pan. i've seen warped flanges and hairline cracks in moroso pans.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah totally, I've been admiring the stock pan, it's so much better built and the standard baffles would probably suit most enthusiasts, me included, who only see the track 5 times a year..
Old 01-26-2014, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have never used the Moroso pan, but I installed baffles in a stock pan last year after getting big oil pressure drops in one corner of our local track. After installing the baffles, the problem was gone. I will keep it as is if I run into the problem again, but for now, it seems to do the job amazingly well.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone ever tried the oil pan from canton racing?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a FelPro gasket (Made in Japan) and had no issues. We used liquid teflon (Ocean State Tuning's Suggestion) on the fittings and all went well.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over torquing and bad torquing sequence

that is all I can think of

oil pan bolts are scary loose when following OEM torquing specs...literally hand tightening without a ratchet

I've personally used 2 moroso pans on many different motors and installed more then 4 and never, ever had nor seen any leakage problems.

it is a wonderfull product with amazing baffle design and the extra oil is welcomed

I am absolutely not related to moroso in any way but am pretty dissapointed some of you have had bad experiences, but they are very, very good quality oil pan.

Just saying for those reading the topic and shopping pans...most people DON'T get problems with them.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to have to agree with STN Pat. The OEM torque settings are really weak. They really are just about hand tight for most of us. I think the reason this is the case is that the oil pan flange is too weak to take any more. Additionally, the use of rubber for the gasket is a double edged sword. Rubber is great because it molds easily to the gasket sealing surfaces. It is bad because it is too soft to support the oil pan flange under torque. Even slightly overtorquing the gasket bolts will result in a bent oil pan flange as the rubber just moves out of the way while the bolthole pulls inward toward the block. Additionally, rubber has no support, which is why it squishes out so easily, causing leaks.

The above is why I liked the idea of going with the myhondahabit gasket. I had purchased several OEM oil pan gaskets from the dealer and done the labor on my own, several times. I knew I was paying more for the myhondahabit kit, but I would rather pay more for one gasket and the time for one installation, than to pay several times that total for several gaskets, plus have to install each one of them over and over again.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe the majority of the problem is the moroso flange does not sit flat when laid in a flare surface. I have a new pan that is warped over 3/8" and requires a lot of TQ to pull the pan flat. I have never used this pan because I do not believe it would ever seal without immediatly squashing the gasket.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by STN_Pat
Over torquing and bad torquing sequence

that is all I can think of

oil pan bolts are scary loose when following OEM torquing specs...literally hand tightening without a ratchet

I've personally used 2 moroso pans on many different motors and installed more then 4 and never, ever had nor seen any leakage problems.

it is a wonderfull product with amazing baffle design and the extra oil is welcomed

I am absolutely not related to moroso in any way but am pretty dissapointed some of you have had bad experiences, but they are very, very good quality oil pan.

Just saying for those reading the topic and shopping pans...most people DON'T get problems with them.
This.

I can swallow my pride, now that it's been 15 years or so, and admit that I had a handful of comebacks on these when I first started working at a Honda dealer. It took some practice and a 1/4" drive in-lb torque wrench before I got really good at them.

I've haven't seen one of the Moroso pans in years, but I don't remember the flange as being the most helpful to the situation either.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SCoupe 5sp
My HondaHabit is nothing more than a middleman in this transaction. They do nothing that I am aware of than ship you the Cometic Gasket that you can order for half the price. The stud kit is worth the $11, the Cometic Gasket should be ordered directly.

I have never had a seepage issue with any pan once that gasket was installed. Highly recommend the Cometic to any of you guys doing anything with the oil pan.
Hate to bump sun an old thread but what is the Cometic part number? I looked and was unable to find any trace of Cometic oil pan gasket. Would like to try it over OEM if they have one.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have a b series get the new felpro part. That's what everyone has switched to lately. Part number is OS30630T

https://www.speedfactoryracing.net/f...pan-gasket-set
Old 04-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know about fel-pro, I'm asking about the Cometic part number which is a composite and not rubber or silicone like fel-pro.