Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

DC4... 19mm ST rear bar... do I need a subframe brace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC4... 19mm ST rear bar... do I need a subframe brace?

2000 Integra GS 2dr, 8k springs front and rear on Skunk2 Pro-C monotube coilovers. 15x7 +35 9.8lb wheels with 205/50 Kumho V720s (200tw)

Car will be street driven and autcrossed 6-8 times per year.

I picked up a brand new Suspension Techniques (KW) sway bar kit 25mm(f)/19mm(r) cheap from a guy that lost interest and sold his car

Now the stock bar is 24mm(f) and 14mm(r), I’m wondering if I need a rear subframe brace to use the 19mm rear bar safely with the 8k/8k spring set up? I plan to install just the rear and if it’s oversteer biased with the even spring rates and 19mm rear bar, I’ll then add the 25mm front bar to neutral balance the car.

i know it’s needed for the big 22-23mm ITR bars and larger 24mm bars in other kits, but the 17mm and 19mm bars from Eibach and ST don’t really comment on the need for a subframe brace.

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2018, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DC4... 19mm ST rear bar... do I need a subframe brace?

Yes I'd add the Sub Frame Bar. That will stiffen everything up nicely.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, are you saying it will likely tear out the subframe? Is this based on experience?

Id like an opinion from a seasoned veteran, and maybe someone that has successfully used a 19mm bar without bracing for some period of time.

It is somewhat of a budget build, things that will have little-to-no effect on the real performance or safety of the car should be avoided to save funds for things that will have an effect. If its an absolute must, Ill buy one. Maybe even just sell these again and get the Progress rear bar/brace set up.

Last edited by Pdahondas88; 03-27-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an absolute must. But when your looking to refine your package later on it's a worth while add on.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any other thoughts folks...
Old 03-28-2018, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no direct experience but from the research i did..if you're driving the car aggressively (tracking/autoX/bombing on-ramps) and you dont have it..it will tear it apart eventually.

i dont see a reason not to get one unless you plan on just thrashing on the car and selling it to someone else so they have to deal with it.

a $150 brace sounds alot cheaperthan having the thing get ripped apart and having to have it welded/repaired/whatever

just my 2 cents. as someone who is a born penny pincher ive learned over the course of my motorsports career (motorcycles and now cars) is that being cheap is worth it if the downside isnt going to cost more than the part/service.

i used to use cheap clutch levers on my motocross bikes and if you drilled a hole in them or cut them short they'd survive if you fell over sometimes but if you took a big digger the perch would break and it would ruin your whole day at the track unless you had a spare. i upgraded to fancy folding levers (clutch and front brake) and never had to worry about it. they paid for themselves in time...
Old 03-28-2018, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdahondas88
Thanks, are you saying it will likely tear out the subframe? Is this based on experience?

Id like an opinion from a seasoned veteran, and maybe someone that has successfully used a 19mm bar without bracing for some period of time.

It is somewhat of a budget build, things that will have little-to-no effect on the real performance or safety of the car should be avoided to save funds for things that will have an effect. If its an absolute must, Ill buy one. Maybe even just sell these again and get the Progress rear bar/brace set up.
Based on my experience I have to agree with sjg88. 90's Hondas really do have an unfortunate tendency to rip the mounts right out of the rear subframe, even with a modestly sized rear bar. I've seen this firsthand on an auto-x car and we experienced the start of this tearing on our endurance racing CRX. It's actually not due to the spring rate of your main springs, but the angle at which the control arms attach to the sway bar as well as the use of high-grip R compounds and racing slicks. Sticky R compound tyres cause a lot of load to be transferred from your wheel to the suspension, the angle of the end links converts some of those loads to a force that tries to push the sway bar away from the subframe, and eventually it tears some nice big holes into the subframe where your sway bar bushings mount up.

You can reduce this effect somewhat by making sure that the sway bar moves as freely as possible in its bushings. It won't solve the problem entirely but you will reduce the amount of forces that are trying to yank the sway bar from the subframe by encouraging the sway bar to rotate and twist like it's designed to. If you have polyurethane bushings between the sway bar and mounting brackets, I recommend wrapping the bar in Teflon tape where it contacts the bushing then applying the Teflon / silicon grease on top of the tape. If you're using the stock rubber bushings, make sure they are relatively new. Rubber bushings get harder over time, and that's bad news for a joint that has to rotate.

If your class rules allow for it, install the subframe brace. Cornering loads are very high in Auto-X so you're more likely to experience this problem than us track day guys. It will also help you get a better feel for the rear end which will probably help with this too.

Last edited by boxedfox; 03-28-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Typoed sjg88's username. Oops.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Any bar installed will eventually crack or mess up the subframe.
Better to be safe than have to reconstruct the subframe.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how about R compound tires on a stock sway bar?
Old 03-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Any bar when you start tracking.
Add a bar put in the brace.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if class allows it, it is not a bad idea
Old 03-30-2018, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can’t run R compound in STX. I’ve got the V720s

I’ll add the brace eventually I think. This 19mm bar comes with reinforcement brackets much like the BSQ/Beaks style, do you think that’s sufficient? Or add bar anyway?
Old 03-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I been running 24mm without for like 10+ years... so far so good (class rules)
Old 04-01-2018, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
Any bar when you start tracking.
Add a bar put in the brace.
i meant a stock bar with R compounds or something like that. a stickier tire that is being used aggressively
Old 04-01-2018, 10:34 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Doesn't matter the tire, if have a bar, and are tracking I'd put in the brace.
Some may not have ever had any problems but any one I've ever tracked have braces installed. Better to be safe than sorry.

Originally Posted by sjg88
i meant a stock bar with R compounds or something like that. a stickier tire that is being used aggressively

Old 04-02-2018, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're should be fine to start. Lots of folks did stock rear bars on r-comps in Stock class AutoX before the rules changed a couple of years ago and I don't recall hearing about torn subframes littering parking lots.

I wouldn't worry about it if you're going to a rear bar in the near-future and just going with stock for some events to get a feel for things. I wouldn't go stock bar/no bracing forever though on r-comps.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I’m running 200tw tires... idk where he R comp thing came from but I didn’t mention it.

*******NO R-COMPOUNDS WILL BE USED******

Also the bar I have comes with flat plates that bolt to the sub frame to reinforce the mounts. And it’s only a 19mm bar, and I’m running a fairly stiff spring rate, and at the limit of my V720 200 treadwear street tires (NOT R COMPS) the car has very little flex and I don’t see it being a huge issue.

Im not slamming a 24mm bar in the stock holes with no reinforcement, stock suspension, and r compounds... I feel like I laid all that out in the first post but it was just not read.

NO R COMPOUNDS... 8k REAR SPRINGS ON MONOTUBE SHOCKS, NOT THAT LOW, 200 TREADWEAR STREET TIRE/AUTOCROSS TIRES, 19MM BAR, WITH REINFORCMENT PLATES.

Do you still think I’m going to tear out the subframe?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I’m running 200tw tires... idk where he R comp thing came from but I didn’t mention it.

Also the bar I have comes with flat plates that bolt to the sub frame to reinforce the mounts. And it’s only a 19mm bar, and I’m running a fairly stiff spring rate, and at the limit of my V720 200 treadwear street tires (NOT R COMPS) the car has very little flex and I don’t see it being a huge issue.

Im not slamming a 24mm bar in the stock holes with no reinforcement, stock suspension, and r compounds... I feel like I laid all that out in the first post but it was just not read.

NO R COMPOUNDS... 8k REAR SPRINGS ON MONOTUBE SHOCKS, NOT THAT LOW, 200 TREADWEAR STREET TIRE/AUTOCROSS TIRES, 19MM BAR, WITH REINFORCMENT PLATES.

Yes, I would still install a subframe brace. The current generation of 200 treadwear auto-x specials produce similar grip levels to the last generation of R comps.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Princess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You've got your mind up already, so why are you posting here? To make you feel good about your decision?

Most ITT with experience tracking these cars run the brace if rules permit. What you do with that knowledge is up to you.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I’ve actually sold off the ST kit and will soon order the Progress rear bar/brace/link set.

My mind was not made up, that’s why I made this.

I was frustrated in that reply because people kept talking about R-compound tires and such, I felt as though my original post had not been properly comprehended.

But after careful research it seems even the subframe reinforcement kits rip out under hard enough abuse, which is what I had with the 19mm bar. Damaging the chassis of the car isn’t worth saving $100. I just didn’t want to waste money on something that might be overkill if im not running a 22-24mm bar.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since we're on the subframe discussion and autox to an extent...Has anyone read the '18 rules? Are subframe braces even legal in the street touring classes? From what I'm reading you can have front to back in a 2-point mounting brace, but no brace, or SFC if you will going from DS->PS.

Any insight from those experiecened with the rule book wordings/rulings?

Thanks -Dwight
Old 04-07-2018, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lastresort576
Since we're on the subframe discussion and autox to an extent...Has anyone read the '18 rules? Are subframe braces even legal in the street touring classes? From what I'm reading you can have front to back in a 2-point mounting brace, but no brace, or SFC if you will going from DS->PS.

Any insight from those experiecened with the rule book wordings/rulings?

Thanks -Dwight
I just looked at the 2018 March SCCA Solo rules, and based on their definition of strut bar, the Street Touring allowances for strut bars, and the subframe braces I've seen, I would say the answer is yes.

Section 12 of the Solo rulebook defines a strut bar as:
  • A transverse member connecting the upper or lower suspension mounting points at the front or rear of the car. Strut bars may be mounted only transversely across the car from upper left to upper right suspension mounting point and from lower left to lower right suspension mounting point. A two-point strut bar fastens only at the left and right suspension pointing points. A triangulated strut bar has a third area of attachment at the chassis (e.g., at the firewall/bulkhead). All connections to the vehicle must be bolted. No connection point to the chassis can be welded.
The Street Touring Section permits strut bars with the following provisions:

G. Strut bars per Section 12 are permitted with all types of suspension, subject to the following constraints:
  1. A 2-point strut bar may be added, removed, modified, or substituted, but only with another 2-point strut bar.
  2. A triangulated (3-point) strut bar may be removed, modified, or substituted; substitution may be with either a triangulated or a 2-point strut bar. The connection to the chassis (e.g., firewall, bulkhead) must be in the standard location.
  3. Lower suspension braces must be attached to the lower suspension pickup point locations on the chassis within 2” (50.8mm) in any direction of the actual suspension attachment to the chassis.
  4. Except for standard parts, no connections to other components are permitted.Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only “bolt-on” attachment is permitted. Interior trim panels may be modified to allow installation of strut bars. Holes or slots may be no larger than necessary and may serve no other purpose. This does not permit any modifications to the frame or unibody beyond the allowed mounting holes.

Basically I'd assert that the subframe brace is a strut bar that ties together the lower suspension pickup points using holes that are within 2" of the lower control arm mounting bolts on either end. You don't need to weld the bar on and you don't need to modify the subframe to attach the brace.

In practicality I don't think anyone's going to argue with you or make you take it off. It's not enough of a performance difference to make an advantage, even if the car feels more solid with it on.

Last edited by boxedfox; 04-07-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boxedfox

I just looked at the 2018 March SCCA Solo rules, and based on their definition of strut bar, the Street Touring allowances for strut bars, and the subframe braces I've seen, I would say the answer is yes.

Section 12 of the Solo rulebook defines a strut bar as:
  • A transverse member connecting the upper or lower suspension mounting points at the front or rear of the car. Strut bars may be mounted only transversely across the car from upper left to upper right suspension mounting point and from lower left to lower right suspension mounting point. A two-point strut bar fastens only at the left and right suspension pointing points. A triangulated strut bar has a third area of attachment at the chassis (e.g., at the firewall/bulkhead). All connections to the vehicle must be bolted. No connection point to the chassis can be welded.
The Street Touring Section permits strut bars with the following provisions:

G. Strut bars per Section 12 are permitted with all types of suspension, subject to the following constraints:
  1. A 2-point strut bar may be added, removed, modified, or substituted, but only with another 2-point strut bar.
  2. A triangulated (3-point) strut bar may be removed, modified, or substituted; substitution may be with either a triangulated or a 2-point strut bar. The connection to the chassis (e.g., firewall, bulkhead) must be in the standard location.
  3. Lower suspension braces must be attached to the lower suspension pickup point locations on the chassis within 2” (50.8mm) in any direction of the actual suspension attachment to the chassis.
  4. Except for standard parts, no connections to other components are permitted.Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only “bolt-on” attachment is permitted. Interior trim panels may be modified to allow installation of strut bars. Holes or slots may be no larger than necessary and may serve no other purpose. This does not permit any modifications to the frame or unibody beyond the allowed mounting holes.

Basically I'd assert that the subframe brace is a strut bar that ties together the lower suspension pickup points using holes that are within 2" of the lower control arm mounting bolts on either end. You don't need to weld the bar on and you don't need to modify the subframe to attach the brace.

In practicality I don't think anyone's going to argue with you or make you take it off. It's not enough of a performance difference to make an advantage, even if the car feels more solid with it on.
good looks boxedfox. I also ran this by my local autox FB group and they also agree that with the wording of the strut bar definition that the brace should be legal in ST.
Thanks man!