Mid Atlanic: Alive and well? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Atlanic: Alive and well?

Old 09-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default Mid Atlanic: Alive and well?

Is anybody in the mid Atlantic regoin? SCCA, NASA, anything that envolves turning the steering wheel?
The internet is showing very few signs of life.
I'm hoping to get to VIR next month, CRX wont be done, so if nothing else than a chance to check it out. Maybe a hyperdrive spot will open up and I can have some fun in the Accord (it's faster)
browngrasscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mid Atlanic: Alive and well?

I do SCCA autocross down at fedex field in landover MD. There is a decent amount of autocross clubs. Lots of people also go to summit point and njmp.
terqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

nasa ma honda challenge is growing. lots of hondas in DE1-3 also... the internet is slow because they are all PMing each other and facebooking
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member

So I should look for something more local, got it.
There are loads of E36's and Miatas around here with roll bars, white letter Toyo's and SCCA stickers, but it's always "ohh I bought it like that" (or tourists)
Old 09-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #5
Honda-Tech Member

Are you in Delaware? Kind of a good spot as you seem to be right btwn both the NASA Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions..

Anyways in the NASA Mid-ATL we have 9 Honda Challenge H2 cars that were racing this past weekend at Summit Point. There should be 8 of them racing at VIR in October. There are plenty of Honda's in the DE groups as well. If you make it to VIR come over and hang out in our paddock area, you won't miss the "MURICA" wrapped integra Type-R.

Edit - NASA Northeast also has a good sized Honda Challenge H2 and H1 filed. I believe they might also have 4-5 people building H4 cars as well. Check out the ruleset for HC: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...V19_2017.2.pdf

If you have any questions and are on FB shoot me a message, "Navin Dhas" on there.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #6
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah there's TONS of stuff going on. There are probably 4 or 5 race tracks within 3 hours of you. Between events at those, autox's and hillclimbs (if your car is legal, and you're into that kind of thing...) I'd say your schedule would be filled pretty quick.

Also check out Eastern Motor Racing Association (EMRA). Really nice bunch of people to run with, but just FYI not as novice-oriented as NASA. EMRA - Eastern Motor Racing Association EMRA - Eastern Motor Racing Association
Josh R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Are you in Delaware? Kind of a good spot as you seem to be right btwn both the NASA Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions..

Anyways in the NASA Mid-ATL we have 9 Honda Challenge H2 cars that were racing this past weekend at Summit Point. There should be 8 of them racing at VIR in October. There are plenty of Honda's in the DE groups as well. If you make it to VIR come over and hang out in our paddock area, you won't miss the "MURICA" wrapped integra Type-R.

Edit - NASA Northeast also has a good sized Honda Challenge H2 and H1 filed. I believe they might also have 4-5 people building H4 cars as well. Check out the ruleset for HC: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...V19_2017.2.pdf

If you have any questions and are on FB shoot me a message, "Navin Dhas" on there.
Sounds good, I hope to be there (no scheduled work that weekend as of today). The CRX isn't going to be ready,at least not for track use, but if nothing else to check everything out.
Yes, I am about dead center in the heart of chicken country, slightly Southeast actually.
I just got a new phone and don't have fb messenger on it yet - unlimited plan, 100mb per d/l limit on phone w/o wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh R. View Post
Yeah there's TONS of stuff going on. There are probably 4 or 5 race tracks within 3 hours of you. Between events at those, autox's and hillclimbs (if your car is legal, and you're into that kind of thing...) I'd say your schedule would be filled pretty quick.

Also check out Eastern Motor Racing Association (EMRA). Really nice bunch of people to run with, but just FYI not as novice-oriented as NASA. EMRA - Eastern Motor Racing Association EMRA - Eastern Motor Racing Association
I'll check that out. I've been coming by across a lot of outdated info in my searches.
I was actually looking at hillclimbs the other day, they had a nice shot of airborne RX7, I'm not sure that's the direction I want to go with the crx, but I've wanted to build one of those old school death trap "production based" rigs for a long time (think Peugeot T16), maybe som day.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:05 AM   #8
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browngrasscat View Post
I was actually looking at hillclimbs the other day, they had a nice shot of airborne RX7, I'm not sure that's the direction I want to go with the crx, but I've wanted to build one of those old school death trap "production based" rigs for a long time (think Peugeot T16), maybe som day.
Ah yes! That would be Weatherly Hillclimb, which coincidentally, is happening this weekend! Hillclimb is a lot more accessible than most people think, at least when it comes to the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association (PHA) events. It does take more work than just showing up to an autocross though. But basically your car has to have an SCCA legal roll bar (bolt-in is okay), a fire extinguisher and 5-point harness at minimum. Driver will need a helmet (of course) and fire gear (suit, gloves, socks, balaclava if you have facial hair), but also a little more paperwork for the SCCA. There are several people who drive their street cars to the events. On the other end there's the guys that bring about $2 million in tractor-trailer rig and race cars with them.
Josh R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
Spongebrad Squarepants

Yes, H2 in the MA; get some!!!!
Egezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but TT sounds like it's tailored to cars that don't require any mods to be competitive. Not that you couldn't build a car, just that mods get you up classed very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Another one I may not be reading right. Am I to understand that the only swap allowed in H4 is the B18 a/b?
I think that's going to push me straight to H2. The planned swap (for now) is primarily convenience.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
Honda-Tech Member

As for Hillclimbs, I'm wondering how a front-driver would be. I'm thinking make the rear hard as a rock and do a lot of steering with the throttle.

CRX with a K20 out back, wait it's been done (with a B series anyway.) Maybe a C32? That's what I need, an NSX, what license do you need for GTC? This is getting out of hand quick.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:49 AM   #12
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but TT sounds like it's tailored to cars that don't require any mods to be competitive. Not that you couldn't build a car, just that mods get you up classed very quickly.

Another one I may not be reading right. Am I to understand that the only swap allowed in H4 is the B18 a/b?
I think that's going to push me straight to H2. The planned swap (for now) is primarily convenience.
Think you mis-interpreted that one. .. There is a list of chassis for H4, you can either run one of those with the OEM engine in H4, or any of those chasis are allowed to swap to the b18a/b engine and run at 2500lbs..
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #13
Honda-Tech Member

The "for now" swap was intended to be a Z6, primarily due to cost and convenience. We're talking 180k less miles and another 30hp +/- for around $250 and minimal work. Power isn't high on the list, we'll get there later.

The other thing; transmission & gearing must match engine code... so I can't run a mutt tranny?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:17 AM   #14
Honda-Tech Member

Most definitely alive and well. I'm racing a 4th gen Prelude Si at the Weekend of Thunder at NJMP on Oct 7th and 8th. I'll be in the Pro-IT support race in the ITS class, most likely scrapping for track space with a bunch of Mazdas.

Come by if you're interested. If nothing else it'll be cool to watch the Trans Am cars pound around.

Last edited by boxedfox; 09-22-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Added link for event
boxedfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
The "for now" swap was intended to be a Z6, primarily due to cost and convenience. We're talking 180k less miles and another 30hp +/- for around $250 and minimal work. Power isn't high on the list, we'll get there later.

The other thing; transmission & gearing must match engine code... so I can't run a mutt tranny?
Afraid not. In truth all club racing classes are going to restrict things like engine swaps and mix-and-match engine/transmission combinations. Engine / Transmission swaps make it difficult to maintain any sort of performance parity between competitors. Honda Challenge has one of the more liberal rulebooks in that regard.

That's the appeal of NASA TT / PT. You can just slap a car together with whatever parts you have and have them pick a class for you after. You might not be as competitive as the guy who spent a lot of time figuring out how to build the fastest car based on the rulebook, but you will get to race and you will have fun.
boxedfox is offline   Reply With Quote