Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

left foot braking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default left foot braking?

anyone have to get their left foot to be more sensitive for left foot braking? I have to for an upcoming test in a racecar setup for it.

right now my daily driver is an automatic, so I left foot brake to train the foot. I would use the left foot on the accelerator also but its too much of an akward position.

any other tricks?
Old 11-11-2002, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: left foot braking? (NegativeLift)

Why in the world would you want to train your left foot to use the accelerator??? That's about as useful as training your left foot to adjust your stereo.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: left foot braking? (Batoutahell)

Why in the world would you want to train your left foot to use the accelerator??? That's about as useful as training your left foot to adjust your stereo.
that wy you can keep both hands on the wheel...
Old 11-12-2002, 07:01 AM

Using your left foot on the accelerator will increase your sensitivity. . . That's partly the reason why we have more sensitivity in the right foot - because we use it to finely modulate the gas.

Using left foot on the accelerator is not a bad idea. I do not remember reading that tip anywhere, but when I practiced left foot braking that's what I did and it seemed to have worked.

[Modified by nikkotyper, 4:01 PM 11/12/2002]
Old 11-12-2002, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: left foot braking? (nikkotyper)

You could just as easily learn to play the banjo with your left foot to increase its sensitivity, just something that won't be an absolute danger on the road.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha you guys are funny. i use my left foot for braking somtimes.. so i can just stay on the gas when needed.. thas for automajik tho
Old 11-12-2002, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its the same principle, like nikkotyper said. I actually picked it up from a Skip Barber instructor. Of course you can only get your left foot positioned correctly in larger vehicles.

Provided a good position can be achieved I don't see it being dangerous at all.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:22 AM

Default Re: left foot braking? (NegativeLift)

Although I dont see the benefit, using your left foot on the accelerator definately isnt dangerous. If you screw up, so what you dont go as fast, just dont tailgate anybody.

IMO it is using the brake which requires fine precise inputs, and practicing LFB on the street will do more to train your left foot than using the left foot for accelerator.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: left foot braking? (elgorey)

Definitely, practicing LFB on the street is the way to go. I also think that the brake requires a finer touch than the accelerator.

IMO, driving around with the left foot on the accelerator is akin to not driving with both hands on the wheel. Maybe "dangerous" is too strong of a word. But, it definitely isn't conducive to safe driving. Then again, if Skip Barber recommends using the left foot on the accelerator, it must be useful to some extent.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:09 AM

agreed

One quick note to people who are just starting to practice LFB on the street. Make sure until you get very comfortable with it that you only do it when no traffic is around. Your first few LFB stops are going to be very jerky, and most likely you will stop harder than you intended. dont want to get rear-ended!
concentrate on slow and smooth application of the brake. (and dont forget to take the car out of gear first if coming to a stop, since your left foot will be busy)
Old 11-12-2002, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

big parking lot. speed up the 30mph or so. then practice threshold braking with your left foot.

nate-who got all his practice bedding in a set of brake pads.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: left foot braking? (solo-x)

Ok, I may catch a rash of crap for this, But why would you ever left foot brake? Anything I have ever read about road racing has said to never use you left foot for any reason exept to use the clutch. As long as your seat is positioned correctly all you need to do is keep your right heel on the floor and move it from left to right as needed between gas and brake. Has anyone ever watched the foot camera in WRC or Formula 1? I have never seen anyone use their left foot! If it is more comfortable and quicker then I would understand but I just can't see how that is possible. No offense intended, Just my opinion.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: left foot braking? (broncoman74)

You need a car properly set up for it, so if you have been racing production vehicles it won't be of much help.

All but 1 or 2 current F1 drivers use LFB. There are only two pedals in the footbox; the brake and throttle pedals. The clutch is operated by a lever on the steering wheel.

It's quicker in such a situation because you can never move your right foot from the throttle to brake pedal as fast as you can mash the brake pedal with your left foot while still coming off the throttle with the right.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some reasons for LFB:

1. it's faster than moving the right foot back and forth between pedals,
2. it allows you to brake while using the throttle in order to set the car up with more precision in a turn.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but these two come to mind first.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:39 PM

Has anyone ever watched the foot camera in WRC or Formula 1? I have never seen anyone use their left foot!
Really...what imaginary channel are you watching?
Old 11-12-2002, 05:40 PM

All WRC drivers do in fact LFB.

in addition to what everyone else has said,

in a turbocharged car it will keep the turbo spooled
it can be used while cornering for rotational adjustments (esp with FWD)
it can be used to slow the car without unsettling it

its actually a very good skill to have.
I am very comfortable with using my left foot on the street, however I have not had the ***** to use it on track yet
Old 11-12-2002, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i do it on the street sometimes without noticing it, my drivers ed instructer taught us how because he learned it at a racing school.. he was a cool guy!
Old 11-12-2002, 11:33 PM
VTEC

Default Re: left foot braking? (dmotoguy)

I started left foot braking in 1996, when I started watching CART and F1. Took me a week or so of driving an automatic to get used to left foot braking. Like a previous post, I was jerky at first, and in sudden stops, I would hesitate trying to decide which foot I should use.

Now, it's nothing...I automatically LFB whenever I drive an automatic. It became second nature. However, in hotlapping in a stick, I still use my right foot for braking. The only time I use my left foot is just to tap the brake to lessen the off-throttle transition, or for other situations where I don't need to brake fully.

When I play racing games, such as Sega's Indy 500 or Virtua Racing, I left foot brake. Karting requires LFB, but since I've already been LFB'ing, I didn't have a hard time the first time I drove a kart.

It's all driver preference. If you try it just because others are doing it, you may have problems, much like Damon Hill had when he tried LFB'ing in the Jordan 198. He never could decide which he wanted to do...LFB'in in practice or qualifying, then RFB'ing in the race or another session. His consistency suffered.

Interestingly, Rubens Barrichello is a karter, yet he was a RFB'er for most of his Grand Prix career. I think he now LFB's when he went to Ferrari...maybe because Ferrari didn't want to do multiple pedal setups. Since he had no choice, he had to master that technique.

Parker Johnstone brakes with both feet depending on the race track. He would brake with one foot on ovals, and the other foot on road courses. I forget with which feet though.

I've seen NASCAR footage where drivers use the left foot to prevent hitting the rev limiter, and the cars use the standard three pedal arrangement. I've also seen that in those Option videos. I kinda use that technique, but I'm still not comfortable with it.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It they LFB, how do they clutch and or heel/toe?
Old 11-13-2002, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: left foot braking? (spoon-ej1)

Most good road racers left foot brake at any braking zone that will not require shifting. It saves that little tenth of a second that it takes to move your right foot back and forth. those tenths add up to be seconds, and races have been, and will continue to be, lost by less.

Practice on the street, then ask your instructor what turns would be conducive to LFB. Basically every track will have turns that it will save you time.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Note that for a lot of cars in this conversation, the clutch is not required for up- or down-shifts. That makes the decision to LFB a whole lot simpler, since it takes one whole pedal out of the equation.

Over the years, I have become ambrakedexterious and use my left or right foot depending on the situation - even with an automatic.

Kirk
Old 11-13-2002, 04:26 AM

WRC cars do not have a clutch. Fully sequential gearboxes.

correction: several have clutches, but only to get into 1st

[Modified by elgorey, 8:26 AM 11/13/2002]
Old 11-13-2002, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I drive, coming into a corner, I heel toe into the gear called for the corner (lets say 2) then switch both feet over 1 pedal to the left, so that I can LFB and set the car up for rotation.

All rally drivers LFB.... Except Dider Auriol, he is known to not LFB at all on tarmac events, only gravel..
Old 11-13-2002, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: left foot braking? (mattjohnston)

I have been wanting to reply, But I past my post limit for 2 days. Anyway I could have had a crooked eye on those days that I watched the foot cam on WRC and F1 but I was wondering if there are any websites or reading materiel that get in depth about the mechanics of LFB? I think I may find it interesting reading and I tend to keep more of an open mind when I understand things better. I have an open mind and am willing to learn.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive seen a video of either Walter Röhrl or Hannu Mikkola doing some -CRAZY- left foot braking in that group b car. Anyone else seen it?

-Jake

[Modified by SuperHatch, 11:08 AM 11/14/2002]

Quick Reply: left foot braking?