Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Koni yellow race shocks with GC top hats.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni yellow race shocks with GC top hats.

I did a bit of searching but just found a bunch of tuner stuff.

just wondering if i should move my GC extended top hats to the rear.
Currently have about 3.5 inchs of shock travel up front and 1.5inchs of travel in the rear. Koni yellow race shocks front and rear, 600 front 650 rear.
Front is preloaded 1 turn and jack point is 4.25 inchs, rear has lots of room to go up and is at 4.75 inchs.
If i move the extended top hats to the rear it will give me a bit more travel and i can slide the shock into the fork more upfront to get some shock travel back. Kinda fighting a dicy car and i was thinking it was to stiff but makes more sense that i am to soft and bottoming out a lot. See thread https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-r...eeded-3278853/

Also my boss lent me a set of 700 LBS springs, so i might put the 650s on the front and 700 in the rear when i move the mounts around.
Its a 95 DelSol 2400LBS race weight and running a track comparable to sebring, less bump, but bigger bumps at corner entry.

Also please dont rip me for this post. Double race sat/sun and want to make sure it wont be a weekend of unwanted adventures and fighting the car. only have 3 hours to get it all done tonight. starting in 30min. lol

Last edited by joel n; 06-23-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Koni yellow race shocks with GC top hats.

Just my .02
Pull the top hats. The top hats give you more travel yes, but fix problem number one see below.
Your first issue is a mushy ride.
Change out the springs to the higher rates, run it and see how it behaves.
You have adjustable shocks so there is much you can do with the springs and changing the shock stiffness alone.
If you feel you need more travel after the higher rates then put them back in.
Try to solve one issue at a time not make many changes then try and figure out what the car is doing.
Simple is sometimes the best.
Small changes test.... record your findings and test.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with too many changes can create more problems. But we needed it lol.

I put the extended top hats in the rear, and put the heavier springs in. 650 front 700 rear.
Worked great. Could still use more front spring to keep the nose up a bit more under heavy braking. I find it drops to much and unloads the rear a bunch. Car was really jumpy first thing on the Hoosiers. Turned the shocks up 1 full turn from soft. Made it much smother, but made the rear unload even more. So we turned them back down 1/4 turn. I can relax my hands, and tighten the belts now..... Car is much more stable at high speed now. Gives much more confidence to go 2 wide, and carry more speed.

I am going to try and find some 700-750 for the front and 800 for the rear for the Aug race. And adjust the shocks some more. Try and find a nice balance for low speed corner rotation and high speed corner balance.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Good deal. Small changes and test