Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Improved Touring....rear wing? (possible protest question)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Improved Touring....rear wing? (possible protest question)

So, there's a guy in my run group that bounces back and forth between ITA and STL. Problem is, he's got a DC4 Integra LS with an adjustable rear wing, and I'm researching what rule I need to quote when I go talk to him and hopefully avoid having to formally protest him. It's a body color/style wing (as opposed to aluminum GT style wing) ala Wings West or VIS, with clear angle-of-attack adjustability. I'm pretty sure I've always remembered that rear wings were not allowed in IT unless every car in that model line had them, and I don't think any of the manufacturer's have stock adjustable wings. I'm also pretty sure the 94-01 Integra LS never came with a wing from the factory (I owned an 01 for awhile, and dealer options are specifically prohibited in the IT Rules, section 8.b.). I'm hoping it's as a simple as saying "no Integra LS ever came with a factory wing and because it doesn't say you can add one, you can't, dude." Is that all I need to say? Just looking for some advice and/or ammunition, because everyone should be playing by the rules.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Improved Touring....rear wing? (possible protest question)

Originally Posted by FormulaIntegra
So, there's a guy in my run group that bounces back and forth between ITA and STL. Problem is, he's got a DC4 Integra LS with an adjustable rear wing, and I'm researching what rule I need to quote when I go talk to him and hopefully avoid having to formally protest him. It's a body color/style wing (as opposed to aluminum GT style wing) ala Wings West or VIS, with clear angle-of-attack adjustability. I'm pretty sure I've always remembered that rear wings were not allowed in IT unless every car in that model line had them, and I don't think any of the manufacturer's have stock adjustable wings. I'm also pretty sure the 94-01 Integra LS never came with a wing from the factory (I owned an 01 for awhile, and dealer options are specifically prohibited in the IT Rules, section 8.b.). I'm hoping it's as a simple as saying "no Integra LS ever came with a factory wing and because it doesn't say you can add one, you can't, dude." Is that all I need to say? Just looking for some advice and/or ammunition, because everyone should be playing by the rules.
Integra's including the LS years 1994-2001 did come with factory rear wings if you want to call it that.
Not all but mine did from Acura.
It was factory installed and not an option.
These wings(I laugh when I say this) were fixed and not adjustable.
So if this guy is running an adjustable rear wing he would be illegal, because Acura never put adjustable wings on any of their cars destined for the streets.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Improved Touring....rear wing? (possible protest question)

Thanks, dirty.

I was just looking for some backup and reinforcement to what I've felt, and you've helped with that. I was thinking the sheer fact that it was adjustable was enough of an argument without getting into whether the model came with a wing or not. I think the Integra's only ever came with the low GS-R style or the shopping cart Type R style, and that was it, neither being adjustable. In fact, I can't think of a single car from the entire Honda line that ever came with an adjustable wing.

Thanks again.