Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

I got my license!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got my license!!!

Well, it's official. I successfully completed my second of two required regional races and earned my SCCA regional license. Going home early today to scrape off the rookie stripes off my car.

Overall it was an interesting weekend. Friday practice had a bit of rain, whihc was good, since I've never raced in foul weather. But, my engine started spluttering after two sessions. Turns out the needle valves in the float chamber weren't sealing, so the float bowls were constantly full. So, I bought a rebuilt carb off a buddy and slapped it on. Car ran better, but still down on power.

Saturday qualifying was miserable. No power and I qualified 26 of 32. Thinking it's time for a new engine. Every car on the track can out drag me. Also had some spark plug troubles, but got it sorted out.

Sunday's race went pretty well for me. The group was very aggressive, too much metal to metal. The 2nd place car got demoted to last in class for punting a competitor. I finished 19 of 30. Got a lecture from the event steward after the race - not because I did anything wrong, but because the group as a whole is WAY too aggressive.

The weekend was a success. I'm looking forward to NASA next weekend. And to a new engine after that.
Old 06-18-2001, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I got my license!!! (Crack Monkey)

Congrats on the new certification! Sorry I couldn't make it out yesterday to watch the main event like I was hoping to do... One of these days...
Old 06-18-2001, 07:31 AM

Good job! Hopefully I'll have mine by this time next year.

Were you the brown SRX7 #88? I watched the whole race from Turn 1. It looked like you were gaining ground on Pete File (yellow #30) 'til he, um, let you pass after Turn 1.

The race did seem kind of aggressive. There were at least three incidents by the time everyone got to Turn 3 on the opening lap!
Old 06-18-2001, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I got my license!!! (slowSER)

Yup, that was me. The race went pretty well and my lap times were only slightly slower than MARRS#1 (which is always faster due to lower air temp) - so I guess I'm getting faster in spite of an ancient engine.

The highlight of the race was going three wide through 10 near the end of the race. Just before we turned in, I noticed the top three cars going three wide behind us (about to lap us). Six cars in a bunch at 80mph through ten is pretty cool.
Old 06-18-2001, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice! Congrats man (tips hat to CM ). Have a celebratory for me.
Old 06-19-2001, 02:03 PM
Trial User

Default Re: I got my license!!! (johng)

Nice job!!! I was there in the white minivan with the family parked on the inside of 8. Nice tire rack on the roof!! What happened to Jim Thill? Zalner and Jim were having a great race for 2nd then the lead car was way back and Jim never came back around. I guess Zalner won?

Fun day and my 3 year old was routing for you!!!
Old 06-19-2001, 06:57 PM

Congrats man!!!!

Bryan
Old 06-20-2001, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I got my license!!! (98type-r)

I got lapped by Zalner, Thill, and Dewey on the 2nd to final lap. All three were bunched VERY close coming around ten (where they passed me). I managed to keep up through turn three. Just prior to turn-in for the chute, Dewey tapped Thill. Thill lost control and spun off to the inside of very top of the chute. His car was damaged and disabled. Dewey subsequently spun in the carousel trying to catch Zalner, where I passed him (to get back on the same lap).

Zalner took the checker once again.

Thill lodged a protest against Dewey for aggressive driving. He asked for Dewey to lose several finishing positions. The stewards thought a more severe penalty was desirable, so Dewey was dropped to last in class.

Thill's car should be ok for MARRSV, mostly cosmetic damage (just lots of it). Probably needs an alignment badly and maybe tie rods. Dewey and Thill are friends, so the issue is closed (ie no bickering on the MARRS RX-7 email list).
Old 06-20-2001, 06:34 AM
Wrong-Way Wang

Hehe. Ahh, nothing like spec series to bring out the carnage. SRX-7 and SRF have quite a few casualties by the end of a race day.

CM with a racing license. Look out! Hide the women and children! Congrats!

Warren
Old 06-20-2001, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I got my license!!! (Warren)

Warren - did you get your suspension together? See you at SP. Are you going out Friday or Sat?
Old 06-20-2001, 06:32 PM
Trial User

I will be there Friday. CM
Old 06-20-2001, 08:13 PM
Wrong-Way Wang

Default Re: I got my license!!! (98type-r)

What's on friday? FATT? I won't be there. The Type R will be in desperate need of an alignment. It's going into Curry's on Friday for an alignment and the motor mount. I need to pick up the bushings from the machine shop tomorrow so I can throw the suspension back together. I could use the polyurethane bushings, but I think they're too damn soft. It's actually a good thing the suspension was still apart, we forgot about the bumpstops. I've taken care of that now though.

I'll be cutting it close for this weekend. Still a lot of crap to do, and I'm sure there's a pile of work waiting for me. I've been off for the last week.

Warren
Old 06-21-2001, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I got my license!!! (Warren)

FATT during the day. And at 6pm (I think) the gates open for NASA entrants. I will NOT be at the FATT, just arriving sometime after dinner to set up camp.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:22 AM
Wrong-Way Wang

I did Chez Durango on the way back. Screw that. I'm sleeping at home

Warren