Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack (https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/)
-   -   I did my first race (https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/i-did-my-first-race-1690101/)

george34 07-14-2006 05:50 PM

I did my first race

This past Sunday July 9 was my first autocross. I can say that I still have a lot of learning to do. We were only given 4 runs because of the big turnout. My first run I just went out to get the hang of it a little.I ran a 60.xxx. The second run I ran a 56.xxx. My third run I ran a 54.132. After my third run I had managed to shave off 6 secs off my time,so I thought that was good and I achieved my goal of running a 55(which was way to easy). I knew that I was not pushing the car hard at all. After 3 runs the tires and brakes were not even hot! So I know that I can push the car a lot harder. So I'm on my fourth and final run. I was carrying more speed and pushing the car the hardest this run. I made a newb mistake and locked the brakes up slide through a cone wall and took out about 6 cones and DNFed. I almost stalled and then finished the run at a slower rate and ended up with a 56. So I knew for sure that it was by far my best run and probably was around a 52-51. I just laughed about it then but now I am kinda mad. haha. I guess these things happen when you are a newb and that is how you learn. Most of all it was a lot of fun and I have at least started to get a little seat time. The course record for STS2 is a 47.xxx. Just so you have a little reference.

I ended up placing 118th out of 133 and 21 out of 27 with the newbs.

I will post up the one picture I have of the event later.

I am driving a 90 CRX si with suspension, header,intake,exhaust,pads,and sway-bar,azenis, and a couple other little things. I think it is a pretty good start for a STS2 car. It handles really nice

Now for the brake problem question. My brakes would fad to the floor after just daily driving,so I decided to bleed the brakes the day before the race. I bleed them and drove to get gas, and they felt a lot better. The next day I am driving to the race and after about 30 mins of driving I'm sitting at a stop light and the brakes start to go to the floor. I think I have a bad master cylinder. What do you think?
Thanks for the help and reading about my race.

Targa250R 07-14-2006 05:54 PM

Re: I did my first race (george34)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by george34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now for the brake problem question. My brakes would fad to the floor after just daily driving,so I decided to bleed the brakes the day before the race. I bleed them and drove to get gas, and they felt a lot better. The next day I am driving to the race and after about 30 mins of driving I'm sitting at a stop light and the brakes start to go to the floor. I think I have a bad master cylinder. What do you think?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, your master cylinder is bad, without a doubt. Bleeding the brakes caused the seal to let go. Common problem with 17 year old master cylinders. Replace it with a new MC, flush the system again, and you'll be good to go.

george34 07-14-2006 07:10 PM

Re: I did my first race (Targa250R)

ok Thanks

xtreme26 07-14-2006 07:18 PM

thats cool man. i want to go to some autox events myself and try it out. i will one day defenitly

suprmods 07-14-2006 10:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by george34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Thanks for the help and reading about my first autocross.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fixed that for you.

vietnameeh 07-15-2006 12:26 AM

great job!!!

they dont make a antidote for the cone bug so prepare to get hooked lol

thawley 07-15-2006 05:06 AM

Re: I did my first race (suprmods)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suprmods &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fixed that for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You beat me to it. Not to get into a semantic thesis on the relative merits of Auto-cross vs. road racing, but those of us banging fenders with other drivers for the same turns at the same time feel the hair rise on our necks when the word "race" is used in the same sentence as "auto-cross".

Just picking nits.

Congratulations.

Mattamotor 07-15-2006 05:20 AM

Autocross is a blast isnt it youngin?

Congrats on your first race and everyone sucks their first cuple times out if not the first few years ut.....

Kepp at it and maybe get some picture of the cars next time out.

Also how close ae you to weirton, WV? or Beaverun?

george34 07-15-2006 07:11 AM

Re: I did my first race (Mattamotor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mattamotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Autocross is a blast isnt it youngin?

Congrats on your first race and everyone sucks their first cuple times out if not the first few years ut.....

Kepp at it and maybe get some picture of the cars next time out.

Also how close ae you to weirton, WV? or Beaverun?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes autocross is a blast. I have been riding with my brother this year and a couple times last year(20-30 runs). He is no expert but I know riding with me should help a little.Yeah I expected to suck the first time. I'm a young one. I was the youngest by about 5 years at this race. There were no go-karts. I have one picture but I can only get a "X'' to appear. I will have my brother try to post it later. I don't know where weirton is, I think I'm about 5-6hrs from WV and I'm about 4hrs from Beaverrun. The one group that my brother runs with was at beaver run on June 10th and 11th. I won't be able to go to any of these places b/c my mom doesn't want me on the interstate or busy roads by myself https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif. I'm trying to figure out a plan to go to another autocross at the end of the month.

Mattamotor 07-15-2006 07:36 AM

oh come on I was driving like 4 hours for race when by the time I was 17...

is your bro with the NASA group cause they put on really really nice autocross here at beaverun.

Targa250R 07-15-2006 08:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mattamotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also how close ae you to weirton, WV? or Beaverun?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Wapakoneta is out on the other side of the state, near I-75.

george34 07-15-2006 08:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Wapakoneta is out on the other side of the state, near I-75.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is correct. It is right beside where 33 and I-75 meet.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mattamotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh come on I was driving like 4 hours for race when by the time I was 17...

is your bro with the NASA group cause they put on really really nice autocross here at beaverun.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, that is who he runs with. Yeah it is a really nice group. They said they allowed like 12runs or something like that. They normally allow about 6-8 runs at every event. The group is miamivalleyscc. Maybe in a couple years I will make it over to the beaverrun for the autocross.

I was lucky to be able to drive just over 1hr. It was the first time I drove on I75 since I have recieved my license. Next spring will be a different story. I will be driving a pretty busy highway on my way to college.

vietnameeh 07-15-2006 10:34 AM

^^ u guys get tons of runs.... i hate my region now 3 runs https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emdgust.gif

BA5 07-15-2006 12:55 PM

Re: I did my first race (thawley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thawley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You mmmppphhh it. Not to get into a mmmppppphhhhhative merits of Auto-cross vs. road racing, but those of us banging mufflewufflewaffleame turns at the sachoker rise on our necks whmmmffffffpopmmffffs used in the same sentence as "autochoke

Just picking nits.

Congratulations.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh shit. Sorry dude. Could you please repeat yourself? Your mouth was too full of cock for me to understand you.

suprmods 07-15-2006 02:23 PM

Re: I did my first race (BA5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BA5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh shit. Sorry dude. Could you please repeat yourself? Your mouth was too full of cock for me to understand you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif Come on now, what was that for?

Targa250R 07-15-2006 02:32 PM

Re: I did my first race (suprmods)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suprmods &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif Come on now, what was that for?</TD></TR></TABLE>
To show his level of immaturity, maybe?

thawley 07-15-2006 03:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To show his level of immaturity, maybe?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Let it go, guys. We've obviously hit a nerve. Just hope it wasn't a setback to any therapy or rehabilitation...

george34 07-15-2006 05:17 PM

Come on guys back to the topic. I don't want this turning into an argument thread about autocross and road racing and this being locked.That post was not needed.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vietnameeh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ u guys get tons of runs.... i hate my region now 3 runs </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, they give out a lot of runs. The group was new last year and has grown rapidly. I hope this group doesn't get so big that the runs start to get cut back.

ZUL8R 07-15-2006 05:37 PM

Buccaneer Region gets 6 runs and maybe even fun runs depending on how early we finish up.. Ive done some regions that only do 3 http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif We will be at Hutchinson Island Ga. tomorrow.

Chris F 07-15-2006 05:37 PM

Re: I did my first race (BA5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BA5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh shit. Sorry dude. Could you please repeat yourself? Your mouth was too full of cock for me to understand you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!

Autocrossing is racing like rally racing is racing. It's racing. Just, different.

(The subject like threw me off too, Thawley, but autox is racing. Pbbt.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing
A race is a competition of speed. The competitors in a race try to complete a given task in the shortest amount of time. Typically this involves traversing some distance, but it can be any other task involving speed.

ibtl https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif

-Chris

Mattamotor 07-15-2006 05:59 PM

anyone else find it funny that the person acting like 16 yearold in this thread is a 25 year old SAE student, not umm the 16 year old....

coot_er 07-15-2006 09:21 PM

https://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8282/georgefe7.jpg

Jack Black 07-16-2006 05:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thawley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You beat me to it. Not to get into a semantic thesis on the relative merits of Auto-cross vs. road racing, but those of us banging fenders with other drivers for the same turns at the same time feel the hair rise on our necks when the word "race" is used in the same sentence as "auto-cross".</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right, because fender-banging-free drag racing isn't "racing", and non-wheel-to-wheel, one-car-on-course rally isn't "racing", and F1 cars don't even have fenders, so obviously you can't "race" them, either. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emsmilep.gif (JFWY Thawley)

George, welcome to our strange and addictive world. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

george34 07-16-2006 08:31 AM

Re: I did my first race (Jack Black)

Finally got the picture that I have of the race up.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jack Black &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">George, welcome to our strange and addictive world. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it is very addicting. I am thinking of going to race go-karts at a track,but I hear they are really slow and will not help me learn to become a better driver.

Targa250R 07-16-2006 08:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by george34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am thinking of going to race go-karts at a track,but I hear they are really slow and will not help me learn to become a better driver.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not true at all. Especially if you go to the right track with the right karts.

The crappy speed-limited karts they have at most "family fun centers" won't help because they suck.

Try Speeds in Columbus or BeaveRun in PA.