Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer

I have towed many vehicles in trailers, but just a few race cars. The race cars that I have towed have an "eyelet" holes in the wheels. It is a 6" extension so the connecting point is from the center of the hub.

However, on a Honda, I have always wrapped a strap through my front wheels and tied them down straight forward. I did the same procedure for the back wheels except cross them.

What do you all suggest in here?

Front Example:

Rear Example:

Example of what I dealt with in my past. (picture taken by RWOL):

Modified by migs at 12:41 PM 4/23/2008
Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (migs)

did you [freak] up that mustang

i hope you leant them your itr so they could actualy win a race

do you know what the kevlar wheel teather attach too? ive wonderd how those work for years now
Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (DisturbedK24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DisturbedK24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you [freak] up that mustang

i hope you leant them your itr so they could actualy win a race

do you know what the kevlar wheel teather attach too? ive wonderd how those work for years now </TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry bro -- the mustang is a WC GT car and it would walk that ITR.

on a car with centerlock hubs, the lugnut is replaced with the setup you see above for towing.

i tow hondas by looping the straps over the LCA outboard of the swaybar -- both front and rear. on any car, i generally try to tie the car down in a manner that doesn't compress the suspesion -- i remember seeing puddles of shock oil under our touring cars after a cross country tow due to the fact that the shocks were under load the whole trip.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (Phoenix_ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phoenix_ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on any car, i generally try to tie the car down in a manner that doesn't compress the suspesion -- i remember seeing puddles of shock oil under our touring cars after a cross country tow due to the fact that the shocks were under load the whole trip. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's counter what "popular opinion" says. They say, "restrict the suspension travel so the shocks don't do so much work" and "Restrict the suspension so your trailer springs and car springs aren't both fighting to do the same job".

Anyhow, I ignore all of it, my front floats and my rear is tied down tight.

On my ITR, I tied the rear wheels to D-rings on my trailer that I added. Front, I used the factory tow hooks to more D-rings. I didn't really like tying to the rear wheels but it worked.

On my Prelude, I use T-hooks into the factory rear tiedown spots behind the back edge of the doors. There's a slot in the frame for T-hooks. On the front, I use the factory tow point on that member that attaches to the front subframe thingy. I also attach the rear tow hook to the back of the trailer.

Keep in mind, in an accident where you're hitting something solid, the REAR tow straps are going to do all the work to keep the car from launching through the back of your tow vehicle. That's why I added an extra rear strap on the 'lude for a total of 5.

-Chris

Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (Chris F)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's counter what "popular opinion" says. They say, "restrict the suspension travel so the shocks don't do so much work" and "Restrict the suspension so your trailer springs and car springs aren't both fighting to do the same job".

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i suppose that makes sense as well -- i just go by what i've seen. haha.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can use the J or T hooks to the factory tie down locations that chris mentioned. Or you can use the front tow hooks, and the rear. This is what i currently do. I heard many horror stories about the rear tow hook being ripped out. My car is rust free and that thing isn't coming out.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phoenix_ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sorry bro -- the mustang is a WC GT car and it would walk that ITR.

on a car with centerlock hubs, the lugnut is replaced with the setup you see above for towing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was kidding about the whole itr being better than one of those mustangs

ohh i assumed that was a kevlar teather for the wheel incase it brakes of during a crash, thanks for the info
Old 04-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (migs)

One thing i learn the hard way last year...is the fact that if you tie the back wheel with a strap that goes inside the rims and you tie it in X or diagonale, you may want to check your alignment often.

Basiccly, i'm pretty sure that by doing this we f**k the toe and put a good amount of toe out on the rear wheel of the conductor side...And on a rainning day i've crash the car...the car was tight as usual when turning left both on the righ it was pretty loose..and on the last pratice lap before i pit in to verify it, i lost control somewhere on the track where there's no run-off...100+ km/h in a concrete wall...

So i've learn it the hard way... i will never attach the car by the tire anymore...
Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phoenix_ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On any car, i generally try to tie the car down in a manner that doesn't compress the suspesion -- i remember seeing puddles of shock oil under our touring cars after a cross country tow due to the fact that the shocks were under load the whole trip. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Next time you see to a transport truck carrying brand new cars look at how they are tied down. They compress the suspension as much as they can!
Personally I tie my car down and make it as immobile as possible. Your trailer has suspension already, if you the cars suspension move you can get weird oscillation over rough road. There is a reason your car has factory tie down points. On the DC chassis shown you have 2 easy to access points that are very good for tying a car down in the front. In the rear I use the rear tow hook (been using it for 5 years now), but have seen people tie to the lower suspension arms. I stay away from strapping to suspension just from fear of damaging or bending something (putting a load were is was not designed to be).
Old 04-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (djphoebus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by migs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I

Rear Example:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree with this too. Attaching everything at a center point like that is terrible. It is better to use the outside E-tracks and attach the right E-track with strap to the driver side rear. And the left E-track to the passenger side rear. This makes that car stay in the proper place. And as said above compress the suspension so it is immobile.

My rule of thumb is always cross the straps front and rear and compress.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (CRX Toad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My rule of thumb is always cross the straps front and rear and compress.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why cross strap?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (BrianZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrianZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why cross strap? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you ONLY had hooks on the edge of the car and the edge of the trailer, I can see doing it to keep it centered. If the straps are straight front-back, the car could hop side to side.

However, going to the center like on that Porsche is about a 45 degree angle and looks perfectly fine. The car can't move left/right or forward. (Except for the possible toe-generating side loads on the rear tires).

I depend on a pretty shallow angle in the rear to keep the rear straight and haven't had issues. My front has a pretty good sideways angle from the center of the car to the edge of the trailer so there's no need to cross there either.

Shorter straps are better than longer straps too.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys just a question

I had to have a EF towed on a flatbed. Both front tires were flat and it had a aftermarket front crossmember with no tow hooks. The car wouldn't start for me to drive it up and the tow driver had to winch it up. He wasn't sure where to put the hooks so he put them around the front control arms and pulled the car up. It didn't really roll that great on flat tires, do you think it would have damaged anything by pulling from the control arms? It has those big aftermarket radius rods tying everything together so I wasn't really sure.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrianZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Next time you see to a transport truck carrying brand new cars look at how they are tied down. They compress the suspension as much as they can!
Personally I tie my car down and make it as immobile as possible. Your trailer has suspension already, if you the cars suspension move you can get weird oscillation over rough road.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i recommend you look at some of those car haulers a little closer. i drive down two extremely busy truck-traffic roads to and from work, and i've seen it all on those haulers. tied down with tires, suspension arms, and tow hooks. i'm serious. uhaul trailers tie down by the front two tires alone.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (E-AT_me)

i transport my car by criss crossing the straps. i have 2 tow hooks front and rear.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (CRX Toad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I disagree with this too. Attaching everything at a center point like that is terrible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree 100%
Old 04-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (E-AT_me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-AT_me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i recommend you look at some of those car haulers a little closer. i drive down two extremely busy truck-traffic roads to and from work, and i've seen it all on those haulers. tied down with tires, suspension arms, and tow hooks. i'm serious. uhaul trailers tie down by the front two tires alone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

while i am not talking for Z, he is talking about when the cars from the factory. Not anything else.

Please please please don't use uhaul as an example of a why to properly tie down a car on a trailer. I have seen some SCARY stuff on those with the front only tied down.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

while i am not talking for Z, he is talking about when the cars from the factory. Not anything else.

Please please please don't use uhaul as an example of a why to properly tie down a car on a trailer. I have seen some SCARY stuff on those with the front only tied down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ah yes, that is what I'm talking about....
Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 AM

Lee from Koni NA (CRX Lee) gave a pretty detailed explanation on here a couple years ago about why it's better to tow with the suspension compressed than to tie down to the tires and allow the suspension of the car being trailered to work.

Personally, I've never tied down to the tires or suspension arms purely out of fear of damaging those components or changing the alignment. I'm with Brian and Jimmy when they say "why do you think cars have TOW HOOKS in the first place?"
Old 04-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris F &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd be surprised if you can restrict up and down movement that much considering the angle of straps we uses.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does an EF have a slot for T-hooks anywhere? And when using T-hooks, do you strap them to the side of the trailer still, or do you try to have them tied to the trailer floor, right under the car's slot, so it is perfectly vertical?

Modified by GI8U2racing at 11:13 AM 4/25/2008
Old 04-26-2008, 04:06 AM
TPB
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GI8U2racing)

Can anyone suggest a place to purchase T or J hooks from?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TPB)

I highly disagree with these also. they may "work" but they are not the best. i don't like attaching it around the wheel but it "works" attaching to tow hooks or axles are a much better option. also attaching both wheel to a common point is very bad idea. 2 separate straight back would by best.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

C'mon people, don't ignore the thread, we need mo info on T-hooks!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GI8U2racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GI8U2racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">C'mon people, don't ignore the thread, we need mo info on T-hooks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you try searching

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=498406&page=2

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Strap your Race Car to your trailer