Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

How to prepare for an enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to prepare for an enduro?

How do I prepare my H2 ECHC Type R for a 3 hour enduro at VIR? I am guessing brand new heat cycled tires. New broken in brake pads.
What kind of wear should I expect for tires, brake pads, and other parts?
Do I drive the race hard for the first few laps, then establish a rhythm, and just adjust my speed accordingly (push hard if I need to catch someone, etc. etc.)?

Old 01-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How to prepare for an enduro? (davidnyc)

Just remember that in a 3 hour race its more important to run for 3 hours than it is to be fast for 2 hours and 50 minutes and broken for 10 minutes.

We won the ARRC 3 hour enduro race after having been punted off the track into last place 20 minutes in. You just have to be steady and not give up while taking care of the equipment. There is a very fine line where you are still quick but aren't killing the tires and brakes while you're doing it.

Also, practice your pit stops before hand and make sure you have a good crew.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davidnyc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do I prepare my H2 ECHC Type R for a 3 hour enduro at VIR? I am guessing brand new heat cycled tires. New broken in brake pads.
What kind of wear should I expect for tires, brake pads, and other parts?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you have new brakes and tires, you'll be fine. We always use enduros to perform sevices we don't usually do on a regular basis, like putting in a new fuel filter, If you have been suspicious about a bearing or a CV, change it, because 3 hours of heat will definately be convincing it to have a problem. You want the car to go out perfect so you don't have a problem that put you in the puts for any length of time. # Hours is SHORT, and there is not too much time to make up ground.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davidnyc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Do I drive the race hard for the first few laps, then establish a rhythm, and just adjust my speed accordingly (push hard if I need to catch someone, etc. etc.)?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
The 3 hours I have run have all been different that 6+ hour races. They are more like long sprints. That being said, you still don't "sprint" your car. If you take every braking zone to the threshhold every shift to redline, you are going to be exploring your car's capacity to dissapate heat. I am always surprised how hot a car car get in an enduro compare to a 20 min HC sprint. When preparing for the 25 hour, I always coach my drivers to try to drive he car as fast as they can while still getting the mechanics of good technique perfect. Like don't lock up tires, don't slip the clutch on a upstift, don't hit overruns. Basically, I tell them to take it backa notch until they are driving "perfect". I tell them to drive the car like it is about to break under them, and to be gentle. Oddly enough, most of our drivers improve their times when they try this approach. Of course, if you find yourself 30 seconds behind the leader with 40 minutes left, it's time lay down some blazing times.
It was already suggested, and I am backing it up. Practice your pits stops and driver changes. Have good cans for fueling. You will find pitfalls you couldn't imagine if you wait till the race to practice a driver change.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How to prepare for an enduro? (Catch 22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just remember that in a 3 hour race its more important to run for 3 hours than it is to be fast for 2 hours and 50 minutes and broken for 10 minutes.

We won the ARRC 3 hour enduro race after having been punted off the track into last place 20 minutes in. You just have to be steady and not give up while taking care of the equipment. There is a very fine line where you are still quick but aren't killing the tires and brakes while you're doing it.

Also, practice your pit stops before hand and make sure you have a good crew.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

great advise!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd treat it more as entertainment than competition, trust me, j00'll enjoy it a lot more that way, especially if things go wrong.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As to the car...I would suggest freshening up the "wear items" on the car if you haven't done so already. I don't think my H3 car would survive an enduro, but if I were to attempt it, I would replace or rebuild the following:

- new axles
- rebuild brake calipers
- new wheel bearings
- change all fluids

If you're doing an enduro where you have to do driver changes as fast as you can, practice them. Oh, and don't use torque sticks to put the wheels on. Hand torque them. Trust me.

If you can afford a set of radios, get some. If you can't, fashion some sort of pit board that is easily identifiable as yours. Suggested signals include "In," Laptimes, current position in class, number of laps/minutes left to go in the session, etc. This stuff can be highly useful to whoever's driving the car.

If communicating with hand signals from the car, get some bright gloves, or some color that you can see against the finish of the car.

Be mindful of how many people you have over the wall during driver changes.

How long is the enduro you're running in David?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to prepare for an enduro? (krshultz)

I think the VIR enduro is 3 or 3.5 hours. I have to check.

I am also not sure about the rules concerning driver changes...for example do I have to have another driver? I'll ask NASA about this.

The reason I ask, is I am using this more as a learning experience. If I have to come into the pits for 10 minutes to collect my thoughts, take a very quick bathroom break, or whatever, it won't ruin my day. May ruin my placing, but won't ruin my day.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Since it is the first race of the season, many of the maintenance items were going to be done anyway to prepare for the season.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can run it by yourself

for last years enduro i was going to be a relief driver for a buddy of mine who was running it by himself. i was also co-driving w/ chad and blake, but my buddy just wanted someone to take over for 20-30mins or so to give him a little break. he ended up breaking a rocker arm so I wasn't needed. i also talked to a 944 driver who ran the whole thing himself and said it wasn't too bad.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davidnyc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason I ask, is I am using this more as a learning experience. If I have to come into the pits for 10 minutes to collect my thoughts, take a very quick bathroom break, or whatever, it won't ruin my day. May ruin my placing, but won't ruin my day.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I am not certain but I'd be surprised if you don't need some semblance of a crew for fueling (would think at a miniumum you'll need a suited person on the fuel can and quasi-protected person on the fire bottle). Drive it yourself? Probably no problem for most folks but 3 or 3.5 hours is actually a LOT of seat-time. I would not want to schedule myself for more than 2 hours at a stint. I also question how much of a learning experience it will be for you if you are overly tired (or if you are driving so lax that you wouldn't be overly tired). Why don't you try find someone to just sit in the tweener period (you go out an hour+, put them in for 30-40 minutes, you go back out if you will). By the end, I'd think that will give you a lot more time to reflect and learn than trying to do it yourself (which again, is certainly doable - I just wouldn't do it and certainly don't think it would be that fun).
Old 01-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to prepare for an enduro? (phat-S)

Phat-S,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I am going to talk to someone I know and trust to see if he wants to co-drive my car, however just in case they cannot make it, I wanted a back up plan.

As for a crew. I think I will have one. I do have a bunch of guys coming down to VIR to do the HPDE and I should be able to convince them (Anton, Marc, Edgar hope you are reading this ) to help me out.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:28 AM

You need a minimum of at least 2 crew. When fueling you need someone in full safety gear to do the fuel and one guy covering him/her with a fire extinguisher.

As mentioned before a radio connection to the pit is very useful and be sure to have a hand signal system in place should the radio stop working.

Pit signs for the driver to see where his/her pit space is are also nice as I have seen several drivers pull into the wrong pit space without them (mainly night enduros).
Old 01-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How to prepare for an enduro? (krshultz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krshultz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're doing an enduro where you have to do driver changes as fast as you can, practice them. Oh, and don't use torque sticks to put the wheels on. Hand torque them. Trust me.

If you can afford a set of radios, get some. If you can't, fashion some sort of pit board that is easily identifiable as yours. Suggested signals include "In," Laptimes, current position in class, number of laps/minutes left to go in the session, etc. This stuff can be highly useful to whoever's driving the car.

If communicating with hand signals from the car, get some bright gloves, or some color that you can see against the finish of the car.

Be mindful of how many people you have over the wall during driver changes.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Golly Karl. Sounds like maybe you've had recent experience with these things .

Oh yeah... An icard just plain RULES. Its the only way we actually knew we were in 1st place at the ARRC. Then Karl went scrambling around for something to make a sign to tell me "P1."
We'll do it better next time. Hopefully we'll have radios, but if not we'll certainly have better ways to communicate than hand waving and making up signs in the pits.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phat-S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Drive it yourself? Probably no problem for most folks but 3 or 3.5 hours is actually a LOT of seat-time. I would not want to schedule myself for more than 2 hours at a stint. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good advice.
There is actually such a thing as too much seat time. Especially if things get stressful out there (an issue with the car, rain, high winds...). I'd highly recommend a co-driver to do a short stint and give you a break.
The 2 hour stints we did in Kirk's car for the VIR 13 hour were PLENTY. I was very ready to get out of the car when I was called in.

If you need a co-driver to give you a 45 minute break during the enduro... I know a guy thats not busy that weekend .
Old 01-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Rather OG

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you need a co-driver to give you a 45 minute break during the enduro... I know a guy thats not busy that weekend .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not needed
Old 01-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How to prepare for an enduro? (Jason Franza)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jason Franza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not needed </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I guess he's willing to settle for a scrub.
Its OK, he said he wasn't really focused on actually winning anyway.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How to prepare for an enduro? (RineRacing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RineRacing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need a minimum of at least 2 crew. When fueling you need someone in full safety gear to do the fuel and one guy covering him/her with a fire extinguisher.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless you want to drive to the pumps...in which case you only need a valid CC...
Old 01-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Rather OG

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its OK, he said he wasn't really focused on actually winning anyway. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ouch
Old 01-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, I guess he's willing to settle for a scrub.
Its OK, he said he wasn't really focused on actually winning anyway. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good to see he has such a qualified backup for the task at hand if Jason can't make it then
Old 01-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to prepare for an enduro? (El Pollo Diablo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by El Pollo Diablo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless you want to drive to the pumps...in which case you only need a valid CC...</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is pretty damn good advice. Two years ago I lost my class in that enduro because of PAINFULLY slow re-fueling with the can in the pits. It would have been much faster to just pull up to the pumps (ala Payton and Morgan) and do it that way.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Trial User

Default Re: How to prepare for an enduro? (phat-S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phat-S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good to see he has such a qualified backup for the task at hand if Jason can't make it then </TD></TR></TABLE>

I suppose its pretty easy to talk smack when you haven't actually seen a checkered flag in... oh... a year.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you know how fast your fuel cans will dump. NASCAR style cans (big necks, air tubes, etc) dump WAY WAY WAY faster than normal fuel jugs with the small hose. It can mean the difference between 90 second stops (SCCA minimum time for fuel stop, at least at Summit Point 12 hour).

What kind of mileage does an ITR get on track? I know the Spec RX-7s were only good for 90 minutes between fueling (stock tank and fuel system limitations). Spec Pinatas could go a bit longer, but have issues with getting the last few drops of gas from the can into the tank (filler neck restrictions). I'd make sure the ITR doesn't have anything similar if you are using stock tank, filler, etc.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to prepare for an enduro? (Crack Monkey)

Reading is fundamental... I didn't realize that there are separate Enduro rules. I just checked the NASA website.

I guess buying a fire extinguisher is no big cost. The only thing is that I would have to have my second driver as the refueler or, I jump out of the car and I refuel while the second driver is getting belted. It would be too much of an expense to have a crew member buy fire stuff.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davidnyc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or, I jump out of the car and I refuel while the second driver is getting belted. It would be too much of an expense to have a crew member buy fire stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read the sups carefully, AFAIK in SCCA, you are not allowed to work on the car or change drivers while fuel is going in. There a good number of little extra rules like that which pertain to enduros.

Note, I am not an expert, as I have not done one.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davidnyc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As for a crew. I think I will have one. I do have a bunch of guys coming down to VIR to do the HPDE and I should be able to convince them (Anton, Marc, Edgar hope you are reading this ) to help me out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am more than happy to help you out 110% Dave

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davidnyc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Reading is fundamental... I didn't realize that there are separate Enduro rules. I just checked the NASA website.

I guess buying a fire extinguisher is no big cost. The only thing is that I would have to have my second driver as the refueler or, I jump out of the car and I refuel while the second driver is getting belted. It would be too much of an expense to have a crew member buy fire stuff.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I saw this post when you started it before everybody chimed in with all the helpful info. I also remember you asking Exactly this last season before you started to run HC.

Go over everything, rules, etc. We are there for you and there is a decent sized NY group forming so you will have as much support as you need, we just may not have all the neccessary stuff like communication, firesuits, pit boards and whatnot. I'm sure we can scrounge up some stuff between us but safety should be paramount. Go over it and call me this week.

How do the schedules work for DE's then when the Enduro is 3 hours long? Is it before we track, during, or after? Seems like a tight schedule none-the-less but I'm totally into it.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davidnyc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess buying a fire extinguisher is no big cost. The only thing is that I would have to have my second driver as the refueler or, I jump out of the car and I refuel while the second driver is getting belted. It would be too much of an expense to have a crew member buy fire stuff.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just remember whoever is putting fuel in the car has to be covered by someone with an ABC extinguisher. The person holding the extinguisher does not need any special gear.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by davidnyc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Phat-S,
As for a crew. I think I will have one. I do have a bunch of guys coming down to VIR to do the HPDE and I should be able to convince them (Anton, Marc, Edgar hope you are reading this ) to help me out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

David I will be present also and anything you want me to do just say the words. I can bring most of my tools from my Snap- On box here at work if you like. Just let me know.

Quick Reply: How to prepare for an enduro?