Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Turbo on roadracing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo on roadracing.

MAN O MAN O MAN. I've been off and on hesitating on wether to go turbo or not. Questions is, Should i stay all motor for road racing and are there people out there who road race on turbo, i think the spikes with spooling and what not would possibly mess me up but im not sure. Someone please im so lost here. Basicly turbo for road race yay or nay?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:42 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Turbo on roadracing. (PTownGSR)

what car and what engine?

Old 08-22-2003, 02:47 AM

Gsr b18c1
Old 08-22-2003, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Turbo on roadracing. (PTownGSR)

Generally speaking-an add-on turbo is not permitted for SCCA or NASA roadracing. If you are only doing HPDE or Time Trials then that is different. If you have a car that came with a turbo that would be permitted on track, if the car has been classified.

I will strongly suggest that you spend the money on seat time and general car preparation.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:58 AM

I'm not worried abotu scca and such, what i am wanting to know is, is it better to go turbo for road racing or not. is turbo just mostly for drag racing only?
Old 08-22-2003, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: (PTownGSR)

you dont even know what "road racing is", you need to figure out what "road racing" actually IS, before you even ask us what you should do. read my whole faq, also addresses the turbo issue.

http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/roadracing.html#12

otherwise, the reliability of a turbo is up to the design, parts and driver. nothing different than any other use of a turbo.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:11 AM

Default Re: (Tyson)

Uh excuse me? wtf crawled up your ***?

I'm asking if it is common to turboed gsr's on roadrace's. I'm talking handling wise cause of spikes in power.

I hate arrogant people with attitudes like yours. Goto another forum somewhere if you like acting like that. I registered here a couple years ago cause it's a nice community where you can ask questions and get good responses.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:22 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PTownGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm asking if it is common to turboed gsr's on roadrace's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, not really. Most racing series that include GSR's in their classes don't allow FI.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:23 AM

Hmmm thanks for your help i guess im gonna stick to all motor for now then.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

um yeah.... right... right... yeah.....
Old 08-22-2003, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tyson)

"road racing"? ain't that when you "race" on the "road"? don't be such a poopy head tyson, i'm hear looking for someone to hold my hand. it's not my fault i'm too lazy to learn on my own!

the second question in this thread should have been "what kind of road racing?". i'm sure there is some club out there that has a class that allows you to do whatever you want to your motor. unfortunately, scca and nasa are not one of those groups. scca has had a rather long history of being very anti-turbo. many other racing series seem to be that way too, making the cars carry ridiculous amounts of balast and use restrictor plates.

the third response in this thread should have been "if you are asking wether or not to turbo a "road racing" car, you have many more things you need to learn before you ever hit the track". _anyone_ who is serious about _real_, w2w road racing would have already checked the rules and known that there was no classing structure available for adding FI to a car that did not orginally come with it. furthur more, they probably would have realized that it is far cheaper to start out with a previously built car and just LEARN TO DRIVE IT. at the very least, they would have _searched_ this forum to see if their question had been answered previously.

there is no offense intended in this post. suffice it to say that many of the "regulars" in this forum have the motivation and desire to do the basic grunt work necessary to carry an intelligent conversation. the obvious ignorance displayed by the original poster in both the first post and in response to tyson undermines the hard work done by the core knowledge base that makes this forum a place where you _can_ ask a question and get a knowledgable answer. all we ask is that you do your homework and in the event we correct you, don't become an ***-hat. now's an excellent chance for you to learn something new.

nate-who thinks there should be a test you must pass before you can post on message boards
Old 08-22-2003, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PTownGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not worried about scca and such, </TD></TR></TABLE>

then what are you "worried" about? Where do you want to race? With what group? All we're trying to say is that road racing is not a "hey I want to race, let me on the track, here I go, weeeeee". It's about groups that organize and make rules, so if a turbo car fits in where you want to race, I say go for it - it'd be interesting to see how it would do. And you can report back to us here later in about a year when you got everything actually ready to road race. Good luck!