Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

How do you disable the ignition steering column lock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you disable the ignition steering column lock?

I'm not sure what the exact term for this lock is, but if you have disabled one you know what I'm talking about. Is it a huge ordeal? (is anything on a racecar NOT a huge ordeal?)
Old 07-21-2002, 09:42 PM
Wrong-Way Wang

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (ITR#231)

It's not a big deal. You just need to take all the surrounding plastic off and get a nice big drill.

Corey can describe the part. I can't since I had Piper Motorsports remove it for me while he was doing my cage

Warren
Old 07-21-2002, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

several ways you can do it. actually its real easy to figure out once you have the ignition assembly separated and in your hands. theres a little thru hole where the key in beeper senses if the key is in or not as it touches the dead bolt. what i did was first disable the beeper sensor by opening it up and putting electrical tape between the contacts so its always open. then, to prevent locking the steering wheel, i pushed the dead bolt in, and drilled a larger hole around the existing thru hole and into the dead bolt, while pushing the dead bolt in remember. then i got a thing wall cylinder or dowel and shoved it in the new hole i made so the dead bolt is stuck in the unlock position. and thats it. i know theres other ways of doing it, its really easy once you see it.

Old 07-22-2002, 07:36 AM

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (Tyson)

The way I did mine was to remove The steering wheel, all the covers, air bag and turn signal assemblies. Once the steering wheel is off everything comes off and back on really easy. After all of that is removed, will have a good look at the the locking mechanism assembly. It is held onto the steering column by two bolts that have no head or grooves. I took my high speed rotary drill and cut a groove for a flat head screwdriver. I then removed the screws and the whole lock/ignition assembly came off. I then used my high speed rotary to cut away the dead bolt. I grinded the thing untill it was flush. I put back all of the stuff that I removed and the whole thing looks stock.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:39 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simplicity 101:

Take the plastic steering column covers off. On the underside of the column you will see where the ignition switch housing mounts to the column. In the center of the "pedestal" is a silverish gold disk. Take a drill bit of about 3/8" (maybe a little smaller) and drill through the center of that cap. Once through a spring and some other crap will fall out.

Voila!
Old 07-22-2002, 07:42 AM

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (Drew M)

more simple is better. I just wanted to grind something with my new drill.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:48 AM
New User

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (ITACivic)

There is also the theft method:

1) Rip out all plastic covers
2) Use large screwdriver or hammer to break off ignition switch housing

That's all there is to it! I had a couple of theives do mine for me. Of course I had already drilled it but such is life . . .
Old 07-22-2002, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (Drew M)

Simplicity 101:

Take the plastic steering column covers off. On the underside of the column you will see where the ignition switch housing mounts to the column. In the center of the "pedestal" is a silverish gold disk. Take a drill bit of about 3/8" (maybe a little smaller) and drill through the center of that cap. Once through a spring and some other crap will fall out.

Voila!
Exactly.. 3/8 will work great!
Old 07-22-2002, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (Honda318dx)

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have all the covers off of the column, so it should be easy to locate everything. I'll let you know if I have any specific questions once I have a good look.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (travis)

Sorry for the resurrected post, but is the spring the only thing that needs to be removed. That's all that came out of mine and the steering lock no longer works, but I wanted to make sure....
Old 01-12-2003, 06:08 AM

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (ITR_Hybrid)

jut be careful. I tried the mensioned methods and I managed to brake the lock and it no longer worked. I then landed up buying a switch panel to replace it. Just becareful of the ignition switch side or if you want to spend the extra $30 and do a start panel then i can give u the wiring schematics.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:11 AM

Sorry for the resurrected post, but is the spring the only thing that needs to be removed. That's all that came out of mine and the steering lock no longer works, but I wanted to make sure....
Thats what I thought but if you think about it. If you hit a small bump and that pins goes back into the keyway then you will have no steering and could be fatal!
Old 01-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (Want2race)

Why wouldn't this happen with the spring in place? I assume the spring is always pressing up?

- Phillip
Old 01-12-2003, 02:30 PM
DR
Honda-Tech Member

On mine, with or without the spring, when the key is in the ignition and turned one notch the pin can not go up into the steering column. This means that even if I tried to push in the pin manually, it will not go.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (DR)

On mine, with or without the spring, when the key is in the ignition and turned one notch the pin can not go up into the steering column. This means that even if I tried to push in the pin manually, it will not go.
but what if it's a racecar, that doesn't have a "key"?

I can't remember what exactly I did with mine, but I know I had concerns about going over a bump, and the pin jumping up and "locking" my steering, so I did something. I think I used something to push the pin out as far as a could, then I cut it off...or something like that.

JB Weld might be a good option to look into as well.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (Want2race)

Could you either post or e-mail me your schematic. Greatly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (Evil Drew M)

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil Drew M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... Take a drill bit of about 3/8" (maybe a little smaller) and drill through the center of that cap. Once through a spring and some other crap will fall out...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I successfuly drilled the cap and the lock no longer functions. But all that fell out was the spring. What is the "other crap" and should I be concerned if it did not fall out? Anyone?

Old 02-26-2004, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (rickpeak)

In some cars, the entire pin will come out. In mine, the pin is intersected by the ignition switch, so it won't come out. Even if you pound on it with a BFH. Once the spring is out, you can just push it with your hand and grind the pin down with a rotary tool, or you can push the pin in, and jbweld the hell out of it to keep it in.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock? (travis)

Park it in the Newark, NJ Ikea Parking lot... I had to wait 5 days, and it cost me a set of rims, but it worked for me.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Drew M
Simplicity 101:

Voila!

Having a hard time finding the cap im supposed to drill and i dont wanna drill in the wrong spot. Anyone have a graphic of some sort?? It would help me tremendously bc i dont see any gold/ silver cap.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdoty
Having a hard time finding the cap im supposed to drill and i dont wanna drill in the wrong spot. Anyone have a graphic of some sort?? It would help me tremendously bc i dont see any gold/ silver cap.
You can see that the pin is centered with the steering column. Sometimes there is no plastic and just a metal cap. You can take a dremel with a cut off wheel and just cut the cap off or you can drill it out.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:39 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 2fast4u831
You can see that the pin is centered with the steering column. Sometimes there is no plastic and just a metal cap. You can take a dremel with a cut off wheel and just cut the cap off or you can drill it out.

Ok mine looks a bit different than the one pictured. Mine is a manual transmission would that change anything?
Old 02-19-2016, 06:17 AM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdoty
Ok mine looks a bit different than the one pictured. Mine is a manual transmission would that change anything?
Just a picture I found online. Not sure for what honda that is. Again, just look for a small metal cap that is centered with the steering column.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:37 PM
Trial User

Default Re: How do you disable the ignition steering column lock?

Bottom view after the drill mod. See the blue clip on the left? And the flat multi wire rolled back out of the way on the right?

3/8 bit and the removed spring.
Here are some pics after my own fiasco as the steering lock, locked up. 3/8 drill bit. I already had the dash and column torn apart earlier so the plastic was still off. (Heater core replacement). Make sure you carefully remove the multi pin flat connector that runs underneath the column which goes up to the turn sig assembly. There is a blue clip holding the yellow multi connector junction to the bottom of the column. Carefully reach around the passenger side of the clip, on the inside and press the clip retainer so it will come loose from around the side of the usually yellow multi connector. Separate the multi connector and fold back the flat multi wire so you can reach the gold silver plate directly underneath the ignition assembly with the 3/8 drill bit. The metal is fairly soft, so be careful if you have a sharp bit. Once through the spring will fall right out. Presto! No more steering lock.