Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 09:04 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people.

Ok guys. I have wispered to many of you about a big road racing event. NASA-VA and Summit Point raceway are putting on the NOPI Nationals of road racing. This IS NOT A NOPI EVENT THOUGH. This is a collaboration between SP and NASA-VA

The event is called HYPERFEST and it will take place on June 29-30 2002 at Summit Point Motorsports Park.

It is the first event of it's kind....ever. And we fully expect at least 10,000 spectators. I hope none of you will mind running in front of specators. If you do I'll be happy to field your car for you.

Racing action will be:

Champcar F6000
Champcar Lights
East Coast Honda Challenge

Featured races will be our own East Coast Honda Challenge and these guys will be duking it out for $1000 cash and much more in prizes.

For those of you out there that have tried HPDE-ing, you know first hand of it's worth. For those of you that are dying to try it but aren't sure about dropping $250-$300 per weekend, we are giving you the chance to try it out during our HYPERDRIVE sessions for only $40. The HYPERDRIVE sessions will follow our standard Novice format. More advanced drivers will be able to time trial on the Jefferson Circuit on Sat. and Sunday. Timetrial Competitors will run for prizes on each day.

There are many peripheral activities such as:
HyperRide
HyperSlide
HyperCruise
Show and Shine East Coast Series (Trohies and prizes)
Burn Out contest ($$$$$)
Drifting Contest ($1000 purse)
NASA Hyperfest 2003 Calendar Model search (Bookler, don't even try it)
Roll Over contest ($1000 purse) Yes you will actually win by rolling your car over as many times as you can. (Special rules apply)
Fireworks
A live performance by Washington DC's own Ill-Lojik
Trials Bike Challenge
MC-ing duties by The Greaseman

Many that love roadracing have lamented that there aren't more high profile road racing spectacle events. NASA does it's best to try to introduce people to open-tracking and road racing at our events but many still don't know that open tracking events exist. We believe that once exposed, the mainstream sport compact markets will flock to open track/roadracing activities and so will sponsors. The Sport Compact market is huge. According to SEMA, retail sales of aftermarket parts to this market topped $2billion in 2001. (It was only $297million in 1997) Sponsors are the key. We will use sponsorship for the racers AND for HPDE-ers. More sponsorship money means less entry fee for you as an HPDE-er or Racer without compromise of event quality. More sponsorship will help NASA to achieve it's goal of bringing pro-like exposure to amateur/semi pro drivers with amateur/semi pro budgets. NASA-believes that the compact market is the future of roadracing and there are many that agree. This event will be fun for those that are hardcore roadracers and newbies alike.
http://www.hyper-fest.com is the website and info will be up on April 8.

Anyone interested in helping to market this event in your area please email or phone me.

I will be monitoring this thread closely and will be available to answer questions and give updates.

Peace out, Yo. Let me know what you think.

Chris Cobetto
Director, NASA-VA
Director HYPERFEST 2k2

[Modified by NASACHRIS, 3:38 PM 4/1/2002]
Old 03-31-2002, 09:26 AM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (NASACHRIS)

I think...holy ****! that's a big event.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:34 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (Ross)

Chris - i can asssure you that Madison Motorsports will represent/support in full force. I will issue severe smackdowns for anyone who calls themself a motorsport dogg who is not there... this will be the shizznit!

Ryan - who thinks Chris is doing an awesome job
Old 03-31-2002, 09:41 AM

I am marking my calender!
Old 03-31-2002, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, even at just a regular NASA road race/HPDE weekend the paddock is already bustling at Summit Main. Throw in a few thousand ricers...
Whoo hoo once they see the ECHC cars out there they will be converted! It's gonna be a mass road race baptism.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:53 AM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (4doorH22)

but..I think the days of me leaving my sub box outside may be at an end.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (Ross)

You won't have to. I don't think there is a HPDE that weekend.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:57 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (George Knighton)

All I want to know is this...

If a Honda Challenge driver rolls his car in an exciting fashion, is he eligible for the $1000 car rolling prize? I mean, **** could pull this off with no noticeable change in his sheet metal.

Scott, who hopes to god this doesn't happen, but thinks the prize would be nice if it does.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, these "hyperdrive" sessions on Jefferson Circuit, will that be like parade laps? No instructor in car? I dunno about those NOPI-types with NOS and small brakes...
Old 03-31-2002, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (Catch 22)

Chris how is the Trials Biker competition going to work? I happen to know a few trials bikers (namely my roommate) who'd like to compete.

Are all of the race groups going to be running that weekend?
Old 03-31-2002, 10:03 AM
Oracle of GDD

Hell, for that matter, Ross, aren't you a black belt?
give me a few years.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell, for that matter, Ross, aren't you a black belt?
"And everybody was Kung-Fu fighting..."

Chris, awesome job putting this together, this should rule! I am a bit curious as to what a "rollover contest" is... If anyone cares to enter that, I know of a place where you could get more than adequate "equipment" (rollcage) constructed for such a contest

~Chris, Tae Kwon Do blue belt/high-school wrestler, who thinks Aleph's Lank-Foo demonstration should be a first-thing in the morning activity of the day before appointing him as honorary HT security guard.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:08 AM
.RJ

You mean NOS and no brakes? Although the bottle would be removed at tech, i could just see a guy stuffing his car in T1 @ JC... or T5....

Hmm, these "hyperdrive" sessions on Jefferson Circuit, will that be like parade laps? No instructor in car? I dunno about those NOPI-types with NOS and small brakes...
Old 03-31-2002, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (Type-RJ)

Old 03-31-2002, 11:06 AM
New User

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (Type-RJ)

I don't know why we need the "Greaseman" when we have Matt "the Bookman" Bookler.

Grumpy
Old 03-31-2002, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (Grumpy)

Greaseman is still around? Let alone still allowed to use a microphone??

Brian
Old 03-31-2002, 11:19 AM
New User

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (Brian*Black99Si)

We'll put him out as a passenger and then let him MC. We'll scare the $%&%^& out of him.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:26 AM
New User

There will NOT BE an HPDE that weekend. NASA-VA will have its normal HPDE and Races the weekend before that at Summit Point as well.

June 22-23 Normal NASA weekend at Summit Point with HPDE and races without ECHC race (ECHC cars welcome to participate in NASA classes).
June 29-30 HYPERFEST with formula car race and ECHC race only (no HPDE as currently run).

At Hyperfest there will be mini-HPDE events to allow spectators (and others) to try out the road circuit.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (Grumpy)

Ahhh ... Ricers and Racers ... they mix like oil and water. Should be a blast. If the Carlisle "ride" thing works out, any thought about the HC drivers giving rides at Summit?
Old 03-31-2002, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hold on, not the racist ignorant jackass Greaseman. He better not be announcing at Hyperfest or fireworks are gonna find their way into his ***. Someone like him deserves to never have another job. Really, can you guys find a better announcer because a lot of people are going to be offended by him announcing. Paying him to do anything is like endorsing his ignorant views. Yeah he may have apologized but there is no excuse for the things he said. And bottom line is people who are not racist don't say things like he did. In case any of you forgot:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In February of 1999, Doug "Greaseman" Tracht was fired from his job as a deejay for another classic rock station, 94.7 WARW-FM in Washington, D.C. The Washington Post reported that Tracht made a racist comment regarding the James Byrd murder, after playing a clip from hip-hop artist Lauryn Hill's Grammy-nominated song and commenting, "No wonder people drag them behind trucks." Tracht apparently had a history with racist remarks that dated back to a jab at the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, suggesting that if someone had "shot four more," it would have meant a week of days off.

Tracht apologized for both remarks and even went as far as launching "The Greaseman Grovel Tour '99" in an attempt to make up for his behavior. During one speech, he expressed his sorrow by saying, "I've come to the conclusion that there are no words to fully capture the profound shame, humiliation and sorrow I feel." But as with the recent apology of Atlanta Braves' pitcher, John Rocker, many were left wondering about the sincerity behind it.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:30 PM
New User

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people.

Holly ****! I'm thinking an engine rebuild may need to be done sooner rather than later. An extra 60 HP would do my car well!!! Hmmm!
Old 03-31-2002, 03:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people. (J28S)

Nice! Looking forward to it. Feel free to contact me if you need any support. I am thinking we could dress Jack in a thong and have him walk around #1H1 while its not on track.
Old 03-31-2002, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 9,999 people.

quote JMU R1:
Hold on, not the racist ignorant jackass Greaseman.
. . . because a lot of people are going to be offended by him announcing. Paying him to do anything is like endorsing his ignorant views. Yeah he may have apologized but there is no excuse for the things he said.
If we're talking about the same guy, I strongly agree with JMU R1's statement. I am sure you will be able to find almost anyone more appropriate to represent a group of Import car enthusiasts and racers. Especially paying but even allowing an individual of such repute to be the public voice of such an event suggests that we are all in one camp together - I'd rather sleep at the city dump on a bed of rat food than be in Tracht's camp.

Sincerely,
Adam
Old 03-31-2002, 05:30 PM
.RJ

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 9,999 people. (George Knighton)

He is a DC DJ that has a long history of racial and non-PC commentary, has lost his job @ DC 101 (the martin luther king incident) and now @ 94.7. He obviously has not changed at all.... Now, these are the only two sets of remarks that caused him the loss of a job - they certainly not the only poor remarks he made.

Ryan

I have no idea who this guy is...but I'm thinking I'm glad I don't know him.
Old 03-31-2002, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Challenge races in front of 9,999 people. (Type-RJ)

I'm agreeing with what Gerald and Adam have said... having him commentating to the typically broad ethnic spectrum attracted to import events may be an idea less cool than others.

Quick Reply: Honda Challenge races in front of 10,000 people.