Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Help me set up EM1 for solo2!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me set up EM1 for solo2!!

Hey guys. I am currently driving a 1999 honda civic si. I went to my first autocross (solo 2 was the exact name) and im hooked!!!!! Right now the car has an AEM short ram intake and an OBX catback (came on the car when i bought it). I am interested in setting this car up and have some questions. Since the car already has I/E forget stock class. Ill TRY to be competitive in STS. Keep in mind the car is also a daily driver.

1. Rim size. 15" or 16"?
2. Lighter the better. so what would you recomend? How are rota circuit 8's? Are they to heavy?
3. Do you think any other engine mods are needed?
4. Suspension - I have enough for Koni Yellows and ground control coilovers. The thing is how hard is it to set them up and adjust them. Im new to autox. Ive been saving for a while but i dont wanna be the guy who sucks and spends all the money. Are they that hard to set up?
5. Any other input? Thanks for your help!

I think rims, tires, coilovers, stuts, intake and exhaust is enough for me to have fun. I dont want to get into struts, sways, bushings, ect yet
Old 06-12-2005, 04:09 PM
.RJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help me set up EM1 for solo2!! (TurboEM1)

Dont do anything.

Get some seat time. THen do an autox school (evolution school is great). Then get some more seat time. Then think about tires and shocks and springs.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:32 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The EM1 is a horrible autocross car. I'd just sell it and buy an '89 Civic Si.

That said, if you don't care about not being competitive, then do as .RJ suggested. Get seat time. Forget modding/changing the car. Just drive. Take Evo school(s), they are a better investment than mods. Then you can start thinking about the car's weak points, and address them one at a time starting with the weakest point (usually tires/wheels, then dampers/springs).
Old 06-12-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Help me set up EM1 for solo2!! (Targa250R)

And the crap alignment on these thing from the factory is almost as if any hint of rotation would kill some one. So set it with soem toe out in the front(just alittle not to kill tires). Well my car would probably kill the average driver but then the average driver sucks and probably should die.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The EM1 is a horrible autocross car. I'd just sell it and buy an '89 Civic Si.

).</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you on CRACK??? i love the em 1....i have one...haven't had a chance to autox it yet....but all it would need is a BIG REAL SWAY!!

Old 06-12-2005, 06:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The EM1 is a horrible autocross car. I'd just sell it and buy an '89 Civic Si.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree. I have both a 00 si and 98% setup 89 si. Although the 00 si isn't quite as fast, with enough development it could potentially be just as fast as the 89 imo on the right course. Its still a very fun car though if you set it up so it will rotate enough.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:32 PM
be professional

Default Re: Help me set up EM1 for solo2!! (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

are you on CRACK??? i love the em 1....i have one...haven't had a chance to autox it yet....but all it would need is a BIG REAL SWAY!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Don't forget the ASR reinforcement kit for the horrible rear subframe.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:33 PM

I had a comptech on mine and it was great. The need for a swaybar does not make it a bad auto-x car though.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Don't forget the ASR reinforcement kit for the horrible rear subframe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WHY??

been running mine with a 24mm sway for 2 years now....

that subframe being weak....yeah right!!! don't believe it for a minute!!!
Old 06-12-2005, 06:41 PM
be professional

What are your rear spring rates again?
Old 06-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My 00 Si does pretty well at the local level. I have 600# F, 800# R springs on my GCs, revalved konis, and the Comptech rear sway/ tie combo. I run 15x6.5 Rota Subzeros w/ 225/45/15 F and 205/50/15 A3S04s, and have the Quaiffe LSD. Today I got 10th in raw time and 10th in Pax out of 75 or so drivers at the event.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:43 PM

800 front 950 rear last year

stepping down to
650 and 800 this year...
Old 06-12-2005, 07:48 PM
be professional

Just curious, are you still running the stock front bar, or did you remove/downsize it?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My front anti-sway bar is still the stock unit.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont do anything.

Get some seat time. THen do an autox school (evolution school is great). Then get some more seat time. Then think about tires and shocks and springs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im already signed up for phase 1 and 2 at the evolution driving school in august. The only reason I am getting suspension now and why i saved up so much is because im driving on blown struts right now. So i need the suspension and will be buying in abt 2 weeks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ryan12321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a comptech on mine and it was great. The need for a swaybar does not make it a bad auto-x car though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What is the problem with the EM1's swaybar(s)?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Don't forget the ASR reinforcement kit for the horrible rear subframe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could you please explain?

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with needed seattime but like i said earlier i need to purchase struts/springs because mine are blown. Thats why i saved so much money and i dont wanna have to buy suspension twice so i figured ill do it right the first time. Also I didnt realize there were so many handling problems with the em1. Can some explain what the problem is and how to fix it.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:07 AM
be professional

It's not really that bad; it just takes a lot of work to get the car to rotate easily for autocross - aggressive alignment, stiff rear springs and/or big rear sway. For a daily driven street car, aggressive alignments eat tires quickly, stiff rear springs & dampers make the ride harsh and uncomfortable, and alternatively large rear bars can cause subframe issues.

The problem with a big rear sway is that the '96-00 Civic has a very poorly designed rear subframe vs. earlier models. For some stupid reason, Honda lengthened the LCA, and then placed the sway bar mount outboard of the LCA mount, right on the edge of the subframe where it is weaker. Subframe tear-out is a common problem for those running large aftermarket rear sway bars with relatively soft coil springs.

Subframe reinforcement kits like the A-Spec Racing piece or the Comptech sway/tie combo are a must to avoid costly subframe damage when runing a large rear bar.

I personally think the enormous front bar is a bit too big on these cars also. Without an LSD, it is difficult to put power down in tight corners with that inside front wheel unloaded. I'd take it off and stiffen the front springs more to compensate for roll, or swap out the front LCAs to use a smaller bar, but that's JMHO - front bars are a heavily debated topic.

Anyway, glad to hear you're signed up for Evo 1 & 2. I found them both to be a huge help, and I am looking to take Evo 2 over again to help drive the lessons and concepts into my brain some more.

As far as parts go, wheel size will depend on the tire you're going to use (for example, if you're going to run 205/50-15 Azenis, get a 15x7" wheel). A few pounds of wheel weight isn't really that big of an issue unless you're a great driver squeezing for those last few thousandths of a second. If you want Rota wheels, get Rota wheels. Konis and custom-rate GCs are a great choice. They are not that difficult to set up, just take a bit of trial and error to see what settings you're comfortable with. I would advise setting them once and just leaving them alone and driving for a while before messing with the settings, to give yourself a feel for what you're doing.

And of course, JMHO, YMMV, etc.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just curious, are you still running the stock front bar, or did you remove/downsize it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no front bar...
Old 06-13-2005, 07:00 AM

Ditch the intake, run in G-stock.