Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Helmet fitment problem, what's your experience with brands?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet fitment problem, what's your experience with brands?

Hello,
I had a question regarding helmet fitment that some of you might be able to help with. I'm looking for a SA2005 helmet for road race. Local dealers only carry Bell, Pyrotech, and Simpson.

I've tried all them on, all with certain problems. G-Force might be an option (I think I heard that they accommodate "big" heads and glasses better than most??) but I can only buy online. Maybe from my descriptions below someone might have some suggestions for me, in terms of a similar noggin…

1. Pyrotech fitment (Full Face). Wearing the helmet sized for my head it fits okay, X-Large. Only main problem is forehead pressure, that helmet will give me a headache over time. Glasses are manageable (taking them on and off). I tried a XX-Large and the forehead pressure was gone. Cheeks were too loose though, so maybe I'd need to get larger cheek pads for it.

2. Simpson fitment (Voyager). So far Simpson has been the best fitting for me, I believe 7 5/8 was the size. The helmet fit according to measurements. Only problem is that I'd need to bend my frames to get them on, so that rules Simpson out.

3. Bell (M2). I tried a XL once before. Forehead pressure was up there, and the checks were too loose.

I have a HJC open face motorcycle for autocross. Had to go with a XXL. It's not too bad, but again it's open face.

So could anyone with maybe a similar head using the descriptions above give me some helmet suggestions. $ is important. I have a large crown, and most baseball type hats don't fit me because they "bottom out" on the top of my head. Like I mentioned, I possibly heard that G-Force is better for glasses and bigger craniums, but I'll have to internet order so I'll like to try to nail it down if possible.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

NOTE: I'm sure someone will make a crack about me getting a set of contacts. They're no good for me. My astigmatism is too high and they go in and out of focus.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Helmet fitment problem, what's your experience with brands?

The rule of thumb used to be that Arai was the hands down best! Now I understand they had a factory problem and its not the case.

Check out Shoei, they are always pretty good. I think Bell has really stepped up and are far better now. Personally, I would run away from G force, Simpson and pyrotech. These are second rate. My helmet is a few years old and I was running open cockpit cars so I needed an aero helmet. I went with a Motor Quality which is an AGV helmet.

Most suppliers, from the internet will ship and if it doesn't fit, you can send it back.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Your best solution is to find dealerships and go and visit.
The impression I get is you live far from a major city?
Sounds like you tried a good number of helmets to no satisfaction?
Make the time go and visit a dealer.
Price should not be an object especially if you have a head size that is difficult to fit to your liking. Try everything in every manufacturers product line until you find a helmet you can live with.
In the end you will find something you like and it fits you correctly.
You have said you tried the Bell M2 ...? try the M3 and 4 in the pro series.
They tend to have a larger face shield to accomodate glasses.
Dont skimp on your safety.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Simpson fits the best, go with that and either a second pair of glasses for the helmet (my friend has prescription Oakleys that slide through the faceport easily and fit nicely inside), or just say "F this" and bend up your glasses?

Wannabe's suggestion of mailing back helmets would work too, but could be frustrating if you go through a few with no success.

Edit: dirty brings up another point. The different models within a manufacturer's line do fit differently. The Bell BR1 for example fits me like ****, and puts tremendous pressure on my forehead and temples. The M4 Pro though felt infinitely better.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate the comments. Unfortunately money does make a difference though, and just because something is cheaper doesn't mean that it's less safe – not all the time anyway. But I know what you mean regarding safety. If a $240 Pyrotech protects my head just as good, but lacks camel-hair lining and a silk helmet bag I'll go for it. :-) If I get into enduro then I'll change my tune regarding suburb fitment.

I think I'm going to have to check with some motorcycle or ATV dealers and see if they carry SA helmets. JR Motorsports is the best place so far I've found with helmets on hand. Almost anyone can get this brand or this brand, but few carry them. At least around here.

I thought I heard that G-Force seemed to accommodate people with glasses and big noodles better, so I'm curious to see if someone found that to be true.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy a set of cheaper glasses as they will get bent up eventually but its ok because they will always be snug in there lol. Contacts and dust and fumes never worked well for me.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input guys. I just got my XL G-Force Eliminator helmet and it fits great! Even better than the Simpson. It's snug enough for correct fitment, but doesn't feel like it's going to squash my head like a tomato. Glasses are fine with it too.

There still might be a nicer one, but for $250 it's a winner. Even has ports drilled and tapped for Hans anchors.

Would recommend if you got a big mellon...
Old 07-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Excellent.
Proper fit is everything.... at least to me.
Double check those (hans) holes. Im sure they are only drilled.
The anchors have backing plates.
I highly recommend the quick click sliding tether kit.
But if you are looking for a set of the regular anchors I have a new set I'll let go cheap.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
Excellent.
Proper fit is everything.... at least to me.
Double check those (hans) holes. Im sure they are only drilled.
The anchors have backing plates.
I highly recommend the quick click sliding tether kit.
But if you are looking for a set of the regular anchors I have a new set I'll let go cheap.
Thanks for the offer on the anchors, I'm going to go with the quick click though. I'll pay a bit more for those. As you mentioned regarding the fit, there still might be another helmet out there that's a little bit better, but it won't be by much. Most likely it would have removable liners and so forth, but this one is pretty comfy. The peripheral vision out of this helmet is great as well. The Bell I tried on had a slightly bigger eyeport, but it was mostly up/down vision. Side-to-side vision on this helmet has been the best so far as well, and that's nice to have.

Regarding the Hans holes on the helmet, they're all ready to go with anchors. The backing plates are already in there, I can feel them with my fingers.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Again Excellent!! Wonders never cease to amaze me. My Bell had the holes only.
Good to see they are incorporating the hardware into the helmet now.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's really nice. Color me impressed with G-Force.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
Again Excellent!! Wonders never cease to amaze me. My Bell had the holes only.
Good to see they are incorporating the hardware into the helmet now.
Yea, they even included two little cheapy adjustments wrenches for the Hans mounting points that I probably won't ever use.

The Pryotech (Bell) I tried on had the option of pre-drilled Hans holes from the factory at no charge - just the holes, no anchors. And then they jumped up to installing the standard post clips at the factory for about $85. The Pyrotech did have removable liners and cheek pads, so a good deal for the price if it fits your head.

The G-Force doesn't have removable liners, I guess they thought they might as well install the anchors right away because it would be a pain otherwise. I knew it would come with the holes drilled, I didn't know the anchors were already in it. One less thing to deal with though so I won't complain.