Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

GRM Safety Article

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default GRM Safety Article

Old, but a great article on the importance of having the right safety gear and being prepared.

On that note, how many of you who TT or w2w race wear long FR undergarments under your race suit? The thought of adding another layer when it's 100 degrees in the CA sun sounds like torture.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: GRM Safety Article

The last time I wore FR underwear under my suit, it was just miserable (100* and humid). We were at a ChumpCar race at Summit Point, and it was a matter of end my stint early or have a heat stroke. I haven't tried it again with my cool shirt and cold-air helmet blower, but I plan to at just a track day to get a feel for how it goes. Fire is scary...
Old 05-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not. I want to on top know my cool suit tubbing would likely melt so it would be a layer under the cool suit. If your not running s cool suit you don’t know what your missing.

I will I’ll tell you I saw at Daytona a guy going 20mph in pit lane during a Chumpcar race and his car went boom like this story. He crawled out of a burning car and just that flash burned his wrists where his suit and gloves did not properly overlap....his face also got burned from the visor being opened. He couldn’t have been in that flash more than 3 seconds.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by miamirice
I do not. I want to on top know my cool suit tubbing would likely melt so it would be a layer under the cool suit. If your not running s cool suit you don’t know what your missing.

I will I’ll tell you I saw at Daytona a guy going 20mph in pit lane during a Chumpcar race and his car went boom like this story. He crawled out of a burning car and just that flash burned his wrists where his suit and gloves did not properly overlap....his face also got burned from the visor being opened. He couldn’t have been in that flash more than 3 seconds.
And that's the other thing, how can a flash like that happen in a car where the gas tank is still in it's original position, outside the cab of the car? Are these stories of fireballs only in cars wehre the tank is relocated to be in the cab?
Old 05-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iwannarace
And that's the other thing, how can a flash like that happen in a car where the gas tank is still in it's original position, outside the cab of the car? Are these stories of fireballs only in cars wehre the tank is relocated to be in the cab?
so ironically....this was an EG with a B18C5 swap. I had seen the same guys a year earlier at Road Atlanta arm deep in the stock fuel tank. I could see they had installed some foam and multiple feeder hoses/pick ups in the tank to try and scavage fuel. Fast forward a year and I see this happen.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Chumpcar guys were cutting the floor pan and ballooning the stock tank...so there’s also that.