Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Gringo's new "sane" race/track car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gringo's new "sane" race/track car!

Some of you know me from a few of the threads i have made about tracking my "700whp" Integra/Drag car. Obviously that car was never built to really track, i worked with over heating issues/brake issues and a few other things.

As much as i really wanted to keep tracking the car, it was just too much work to go back and forth changing suspension settings and brakes between track days and drag racing it was too much. Fun while it lasted though!

One of my customers (SlowB16) txted me last week and said "You need to buy this http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=44267".

3 days later i went to check the car out and yep, i got it lol.

Amazingly clean, 1995 GSR with 90k miles on it with a clean title.

Came just how you see it in the pics. Gutted/Caged bone stock 95 gsr.

Also found this in the car "

Pretty badass actually lol

From what i have been told, the X-Door bars are no longer legal? It's a shame because the rest of this cage is done really nice. All Tigwelded and very clean.

I plan to fix the cage and do the Nascar style Door bars, change the suspension (not sure exactly what yet though). And start buying everything i need to so that i can actually race the car. I want to race it and have fun. I don't necessarily need to win/be competitive i just want to do some door to door racing.

I gathered this car fits in SCCA ITS Class. I have been trying to find rules on that class but i am not having great luck. Anyone have any suggestions? lol

Anyway thought that i would share this with you guys!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gringo's new "sane" race/track car!

So is this not getting the 700hp setup in it ?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be ITS yes

that car was a deal. Beautiful

download the scca GCR ( free on scca.com) ...it'll have all current rules
Old 05-06-2013, 05:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Great find bro!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GREAT DEAL ON THAT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if it would have been on this side of the country....i might have a gsr!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gringotegra
From what i have been told, the X-Door bars are no longer legal? It's a shame because the rest of this cage is done really nice. All Tigwelded and very clean.

I plan to fix the cage and do the Nascar style Door bars, change the suspension (not sure exactly what yet though). And start buying everything i need to so that i can actually race the car. I want to race it and have fun. I don't necessarily need to win/be competitive i just want to do some door to door racing.
X-bars are legal, you just need to add some taco gussets. I don't typically do the split X, instead I use two tubes bent to for the X, then gusseted together.
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!

Yeah, there are plenty of ways to "fix" the door bars without having to cut them out. Easiest would be to do gussets but I've also seen folks add NASCAR bars outside of the X-bars.

FWIW, the GSR can be awfully fast with the right build/setup. Check your area to see where the car counts are for SCCA ITS vs. NASA HC/PT vs. ICSCC Conference. Go race with whoever has the deepest fields.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cherry! Congrats man!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome pick-up man! Can't wait to see some videos and further progression with the new car.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Xian

Yeah, there are plenty of ways to "fix" the door bars without having to cut them out. Easiest would be to do gussets but I've also seen folks add NASCAR bars outside of the X-bars.

FWIW, the GSR can be awfully fast with the right build/setup. Check your area to see where the car counts are for SCCA ITS vs. NASA HC/PT vs. ICSCC Conference. Go race with whoever has the deepest fields.

Sorry Gringo, while I did say the door bars would not pass, I forgot to mention the gussets.

As for the Fields, the largest fields are going to found in ICSCC for Competition events but there's also NASA now for TT/HPDE etc. Conference will often do a TnT on the Friday before a race weekend for as low as $150 for lots-o-track time for licensed folks and/or folks with plenty of experience.

Some classes to consider will be: NASA-PTD/HC, ICSCC-ITS/EIP/ST/SPU, SCCA-ITS

IRDC (ICSCC) race at Pacific Raceways this weekend, you should come up and check out the classes, talk to the driver and get a taste of what you're getting into.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Car would also be legal for SCCA's STL class, where you can battle with some of the Spec Miata guys

Congrats on getting a road racing car, looking forward to seeing you out there!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
So is this not getting the 700hp setup in it ?
No lol. I don't plan on doing anything more than Bolt on's with this car! The plan is to have 1 drag/street car and then this car. I want to actually race and be competitive. .

Although the thought did cross my mind.. lol.

Looking at the cage right now i won't be able to add the Nascar bars outside of this cage since the doors still currently have glass in them. The kid who had the car was using it as a driver, (which i am kinda doing right now :p lol).

Sounds like i don't even need to add the gussets to the X-bar, that is more for driver "safety".

To go out and race, i need a full fire sute, fire extinguisher and go get my race licence and a window net. NASA and ICSCC seem to be where i will be racing. I don't really know what class the car fits in, i have been told ITS?

Originally Posted by rice_classic

Sorry Gringo, while I did say the door bars would not pass, I forgot to mention the gussets.

As for the Fields, the largest fields are going to found in ICSCC for Competition events but there's also NASA now for TT/HPDE etc. Conference will often do a TnT on the Friday before a race weekend for as low as $150 for lots-o-track time for licensed folks and/or folks with plenty of experience.

Some classes to consider will be: NASA-PTD/HC, ICSCC-ITS/EIP/ST/SPU, SCCA-ITS

IRDC (ICSCC) race at Pacific Raceways this weekend, you should come up and check out the classes, talk to the driver and get a taste of what you're getting into.
Well Colin said it, looks like ITS is what i need to run lol. ST/STU are way out of my $$ range since i know the car the dominants in that class is an E46 M3 that is crazy fast lol.

HC for NASA might be where i fit in also.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, build it for whatever is popular in your neck of the woods. The ITS GSR is a pretty well known quantity at this point (from a parts/setup standpoint). If you decide that you can't stand not fiddling with stuff, look at STL. It's a way more sane class for a "tuner" as it limits displacement to 2.0 liters, CR to 11:1, cam lift to .425", and weight is based on displacement (you'd be lighter than in ITS, IIRC). James @ IPG just prepped his EP3 for STL if you're looking for an example of what sort of cars run there.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kay2
Car would also be legal for SCCA's STL class, where you can battle with some of the Spec Miata guys

Congrats on getting a road racing car, looking forward to seeing you out there!
Yes racing with the Spec miata guys would be fun, but i think i would have to keep the car 100% stock to race with them?

You wouldn't happen to be Kyle would ya? lol
Old 05-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, build it for whatever is popular in your neck of the woods. The ITS GSR is a pretty well known quantity at this point (from a parts/setup standpoint). If you decide that you can't stand not fiddling with stuff, look at STL. It's a way more sane class for a "tuner" as it limits displacement to 2.0 liters, CR to 11:1, cam lift to .425", and weight is based on displacement (you'd be lighter than in ITS, IIRC). James @ IPG just prepped his EP3 for STL if you're looking for an example of what sort of cars run there.
Yeah i might be one of those guys that wants to go faster/make more power (hence the drag car on road course car lol).

Sounds like STL might be more expensive tho.

I read some of the IT rules, sounds like i can tune/chip the ecu, do exhaust and almost full bolt ons. Just can't really do Cams (ITR cams legal?), can't do a Skunk2/Blox IM right?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i might be one of those guys that wants to go faster/make more power (hence the drag car on road course car lol).

Sounds like STL might be more expensive tho.

I read some of the IT rules, sounds like i can tune/chip the ecu, do exhaust and almost full bolt ons. Just can't really do Cams (ITR cams legal?), can't do a Skunk2/Blox IM right?
STL is definitely "more" but not a ton more than ITS unless you're chasing a national championship. With STL you'd: toss in the ITR exhaust cam, use stock GSR intake cam. Toss on larger brakes (I'd parts bin ITR components up front). Use the ITR gears (or something else that's better than the stock GSR stuff). Otherwise, just about all the parts are the same. You can run a little more CR in STL (up to 11:1) but that's not going to win/lose local races.

ITS prep allows:
Factory engine internals specific to that engine only. No parts binning a best of breed with ITR parts.
Any diff and any Final Drive. These will both make a big difference.
Air intake
Header/exhaust. No cat needed.
ECU-Hondata or open source
Any front/rear sway bars
Any non-remote reservoir 2-way adjustable shock
Any bushings (get with Kingpin for sphericals ideally)
15x7 wheels
Any brake pad (make sure to get some good ducting)
Oil cooler- not strictly needed but I'd run one

That's really about it mod wise. Choose wisely and you'll end up at the pointy end of the grid (with good driving). Power wise it'll be around 180-185 at the wheels with a 10/10ths build.

Christian
Old 05-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man I am jealous! lol I just got my integra out for my first track days and started looking at cages and they are not cheap! That car is a steal, congrats and good luck. I'm hoping to get into the same classes you are looking at but there isn't much participation in this region :/
Old 05-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

STL is definitely "more" but not a ton more than ITS unless you're chasing a national championship. With STL you'd: toss in the ITR exhaust cam, use stock GSR intake cam. Toss on larger brakes (I'd parts bin ITR components up front). Use the ITR gears (or something else that's better than the stock GSR stuff). Otherwise, just about all the parts are the same. You can run a little more CR in STL (up to 11:1) but that's not going to win/lose local races.

ITS prep allows:
Factory engine internals specific to that engine only. No parts binning a best of breed with ITR parts.
Any diff and any Final Drive. These will both make a big difference.
Air intake
Header/exhaust. No cat needed.
ECU-Hondata or open source
Any front/rear sway bars
Any non-remote reservoir 2-way adjustable shock
Any bushings (get with Kingpin for sphericals ideally)
15x7 wheels
Any brake pad (make sure to get some good ducting)
Oil cooler- not strictly needed but I'd run one

That's really about it mod wise. Choose wisely and you'll end up at the pointy end of the grid (with good driving). Power wise it'll be around 180-185 at the wheels with a 10/10ths build.

Christian
Ummm STL or ITS.. Decisions Decisions... I might have to go STL because i can take the brakes/suspension off my other integra lol. Since i already have ST43's all around on that car with the ITR front brakes might as well use them since they will be sitting doing nothing. That leaves me more open to to do alos.. But what i need to figure out is where the most racing will be!

On another note, dynoed the car today during lunch here at the shop. 100% bone stock to the airbox/cat/exhaust/

Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes and be sure it has all the thrill you want. We were talking about getting a Mazda 2 for spec B until a couple guys drove it.

I would think STL would be great if you have the participants.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do have a lot of the parts that i can transfer over to this car which won't be hard at all.

On another note, i went through the last race we had locally and found the qualifying times/classes. I don't see any ITS or STL cars, but i did see a few SPU cars which might be where i end up with the way it all looks...

http://www.icscc.com/2013/results/ra..._1_qualify.pdf
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the cage looks amazing
Old 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ryan, you deff need to find one
Old 05-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good find dude, could almost turn that into a chumpcar :p no really glad to see ya go the RR route!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do have a lot of the parts that i can transfer over to this car which won't be hard at all.

On another note, i went through the last race we had locally and found the qualifying times/classes. I don't see any ITS or STL cars, but i did see a few SPU cars which might be where i end up with the way it all looks...

http://www.icscc.com/2013/results/ra..._1_qualify.pdf
It may be that there aren't cars running Conference in those classes... check for NASA/SCCA results as well before deciding the class to build for. Also, weigh the option of moving to the B18 non-VTEC engine and running the car in ITA/H4. May be more competition there? You car/chassis should be very competitive in ITA.

edit & PS:
On the driver side door bars... I went back through the SCCA GCR and the split X style is still legal. I remember there being discussion about them several years ago as there was at least once incident of them failing. IIRC it was a passenger side split X that completely failed which resulted in a car's front bumper being parked inside another car. Adding taco gussets to the door bars is absolutely something that I'd do before racing the car. DE's/lapping wouldn't phase me though as the risk of getting t-boned is pretty low. Read up on the allowances for gusseting before pulling the trigger though. There's a limit of 2 per joint and a max thickness, IIRC.

Last edited by Xian; 05-09-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It may be that there aren't cars running Conference in those classes... check for NASA/SCCA results as well before deciding the class to build for. Also, weigh the option of moving to the B18 non-VTEC engine and running the car in ITA/H4. May be more competition there? You car/chassis should be very competitive in ITA.
Well that was the first race of the season so it may be that they a lot of the guys aren't out..

I guess i could run the car in ITA, but that requires an engine swap and more work! lol

As of right now i just want to get it running/making a little more power. I plan to swap out almost all the suspension/ITR front brakes parts out of my Green car on to this one. The suspension in this car isn't "awesome" so to say.

I also have something to prove to one of my friends. Apparently he says it's harder to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car fast. In my eyes driving this car vs driving my bazillion hp car on the track should be a lot easier. But maybe i am missing something.....

Quick Reply: Gringo's new "sane" race/track car!