Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

A Few Realities About Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A Few Realities About Racing (George Knighton)

Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I'd like to relive my father's experience of being able to drive his race car to the track.
Keep in mind that we are talking about racing where stuff can happen. Bringing out a car that is your only ride home or to work on Monday is probably not a good idea.
Old 06-17-2001, 05:59 PM
Trial User

The intent and spirit of the racing series we are currently working on (and we are working on it daily) is to be one where you can drive your car to the event and feel confident that you can drive it home. This is the whole intent of what we are doing. If we wanted to bang fenders we could save ourselves some time and work and just do it with SCCA.

That said, there are some things that are different these days meaning that romanticism is... well... romanticism.

Insurance liability for anyone conducting "races" will demand strict safety guidelines. This means roll cages, harnesses, fire suits, etc.
Things such as airbags, which the government mandates to protect us from ourselves, become quite UNSAFE on a race track. So they have to be eliminated in some way. It may not even be our choice since NASA rules might mandate their removal. I don't know (yet).

etc, etc, etc.

I hear ya George, but your Dad raced in a different time. Our goal is to provide a safe, clean racing environment that doesn't destroy cars in the name of carrying home a trophy. Nevertheless, you are going to have to do things to your car that make it inconvenient as a daily driver.

Consider dropping about $5K (or less, I know somebody that bought one for $1600) on an ITC CRX. Reliable, cheap, fun, and you can drive it home and park it after the race keeping your other car for street duty. Just a thought
Old 06-18-2001, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're at all interested, I know of a VERY nice Spec RX-7 for sale in VA. $5000 w/ spare tranny radiator and a box of parts. It won a race last year, won the 12 Hour this year, and has had numerous poles and top 5 finishes. It's not a Honda, but it's probably the cheapest competitive car you'll find.