Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

EK Civic Steering Rack Options?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EK Civic Steering Rack Options?

Seems this thread has finally sort of gotten on topic.

Run Away's post is interesting. I wonder if the CRV Rack + Integra Pinion would result in a rack quicker than 2.8? Since it's 3.2 to start and not 3.6 like the 96-00 Civics.

Carthik
Old 06-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Telling you the best route to go is install a Type R or GSR rack and pinion into your stock EM1 rack. You can still retain power steering with it. I chose to free up the 5hp and the 20lbs from the car because my car is no longer pulling duty as a daily.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 20CiviC02Si
Telling you the best route to go is install a Type R or GSR rack and pinion into your stock EM1 rack. You can still retain power steering with it. I chose to free up the 5hp and the 20lbs from the car because my car is no longer pulling duty as a daily.
There is no such thing as a bloody 'best' route. It comes down to personal preference and usage.

What is the LTL with an integra rack and pinion in an EM1 steering housing?
What is the LTL with an intergra pinion in an EM1 rack and housing?

Carthik
Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't truly go off the L2L reference. I do however know that the gearing in the Type R/GSR rack and pinion is at a steeper angle versus the stock EM1 gearing, the nubmer of teeth on the rack is the same however the ITR pinion has one more tooth than the stock EM1. I didn't take pics while doing the modification, because there is a full build thread on doing this modification already.

As for why i say it's the best route, is mainly because the EM1 has a different subframe versus the rest of the civic and integra chassis. So mounting an integra or other civic rack to the EK subframe is a no go without major customization.

So here are the options:

Install the rack and pinion from an Integra Type R/GSR into the stock housing.

Find an EK9 Type R steering rack and install (not sure of the gearing).

Swap in an Integra subframe and control arms so you can run a completely stock rack.

Modify the subframe to accept other steering racks.

From personal experience the installing the rack and pinion into the stock EM1 rack is the cheapest route to take. It takes some time to do properly without messing anything up. But well worth it. Steering response is better and more direct on the track. My rack was converted to a full manual rack so daily driving is a true pain while maneuvering in parking lots.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Either way I go, looks like I need to source an Integra rack from the wrecker.
I just did some cross-referencing of part numbers, the older cars don't have the steering box available still so I can't check (Delray Acura's website) but the 98-99 cars all have the same part number regardless of trim (LS to Type R).
I'll have to do more digging to see if there is a difference in racks between the trim levels on the earlier cars, as I don't think the local wrecker has any 98+.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Run Away
Either way I go, looks like I need to source an Integra rack from the wrecker.
I just did some cross-referencing of part numbers, the older cars don't have the steering box available still so I can't check (Delray Acura's website) but the 98-99 cars all have the same part number regardless of trim (LS to Type R).
I'll have to do more digging to see if there is a difference in racks between the trim levels on the earlier cars, as I don't think the local wrecker has any 98+.
From what i was told they are all identical when it comes to Integra racks.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im also running the ITR rack guts in a manual mode on a EM1 rack. Love it!
Dont know if I would like it any faster than it is now for track use honestly.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Long Term Review:
(hope this helps)

I have an LX 96, and I did do the Integra pinion gear into my stock power steering rack (9 teeth compared to 8). Its been great, never had a leak, no problems, have not touched the boots or grease since.

Had it in there for...the last 4 years or so.

I worried too, that as the gear was a different shape, that the teeth on the rack may have been shaped every so slightly and this would eventually wear the teeth incorrectly, but thats not the case. Problem free for probably 4 years.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrakeExpert
Long Term Review:
(hope this helps)

I have an LX 96, and I did do the Integra pinion gear into my stock power steering rack (9 teeth compared to 8). Its been great, never had a leak, no problems, have not touched the boots or grease since.

Had it in there for...the last 4 years or so.

I worried too, that as the gear was a different shape, that the teeth on the rack may have been shaped every so slightly and this would eventually wear the teeth incorrectly, but thats not the case. Problem free for probably 4 years.
Would you say there was a noticeable different in how the steering felt after the swap?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Installed the ITR pinion and was very happy with it. Never had any issues. But recentley my power steering pump broke, and now I am thinking about go non power steering.

According to my research, the EK3 (dont know if you had them) comes with a non power steering unit. Does anybody know if the pinion fits there as well?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Immediatly after doing the swap, and i mean RIGHT after, it was snug for a minute or two, perhaps reseating itself. there was SOME added effort and i mean tiny, within a day it was unnoticable (205/40 tires). The difference in steering response was immedatly noticed with like one full turn going out of a driveway, the car now points where it wants to go faster, so yeah it was worth it, and it was noticable. i drove a bone stock EK the other day, and it was nice to compare to mine now, steering wise.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is when you installed the integra rack in the civic steering rack which inner toe rods and outer for that matter did you use. Since the integra rack is slightly shorter.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The thread talks about swapping pinions not the internals, so everything stays the same.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They mention that the teeth from the integra pinion don't mate perfectly to the civic rack. I'm doing this swap right now and see what they're saying. I don't see it being significant enough to be detrimental to the function of the assembly. More curious as to the people that swapped out the racks, as ppl mentioned all through this topic, what inner and outer tie rods they used
Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you keep the internals you use civic rods, just use manual bellows if you are depowering your rack. I have come across another thread where someone has had the integra pinion in their civic rack for 4 years with no issues. Even though the angle is different it does not seem to have any ill effects. As for swapping acutal internals or racks I have no clue which you would use sorry.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response. That seems to be the consensus. That even though the teeth are slightly different it has no real effect. I'm just going to remove the piston ring on the civic rack and reuse. I just saw a couple posts on this thread say they used the integra pinion with rack and am more curious now after taking it apart as to what tie rods would fit. Guess it doesn't matter since I'm not going that route. Case closed for me
Old 06-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hondacurious
Thanks for the response. That seems to be the consensus. That even though the teeth are slightly different it has no real effect. I'm just going to remove the piston ring on the civic rack and reuse. I just saw a couple posts on this thread say they used the integra pinion with rack and am more curious now after taking it apart as to what tie rods would fit. Guess it doesn't matter since I'm not going that route. Case closed for me

I made the swap, took it apart after 1 season, and again 1 year later. I could not see any wisible wear on both pinion and rack teeth.

Granted there might be some invisible wear, but worst case put the rack on the disposable list and change it every 4-5 years...just to be sure.

I am a safety nut and this isn't something to worry about IMO