Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Eibach Multi Pro Shock review

Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Multi Pro Shock review

This past Friday I made it out to Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond, CA for a Test n Tune day to shake some things down on my 95 civic coupe. One of the parts of my car that I was testing for the first time since I recently bought them were the Eibach MultiPro R2 shocks. A 2 way adjustable coil over with remote reservoirs. I chose them because I could get in the to higher class 2 way shock market and do it at a great price. Made in the USA and great service was the kicker.
I wanted to share my thoughts, some pictures and answer any questions someone may have who is considering these. I have gone through quite a few sets of shocks on my race car, from custom Koni yellows,Progress Series 1, Tein Flex, and Tein Monoflex. I have driven other FWD cars with Moton triples, and Koni doubles so gathering a feel of these new shocks was fairly easy for me. The installation was quick and easy with the included top hats. I put the ERS springs on along with the helper springs and blasted the top hats on. Once I found a place to mount the reservoirs in front the next step was over, the rear reservoirs are beautifully attached to the shock. When I put the new shocks in I added an Eibach adjustable rear sway bar to compliment my setup. A corner balance and alignment session wrapped the installation up.
Once I got the car on track it drove well out of the box with all settings full soft. It was stable and they felt great as I get my pace up. This is a high speed track with an average speed of 100 mph in my car, long sweeping turns,elevation change and a lot of bumps from years of sitting in the desert sun. I was out for about a 20 min session and came in. I made some adjustments and went out for the next session. I was pleased what just 2 clicks on the compression did on one of my adjustments, the car noticeably reacted to my change and I was pretty happy. Hitting personal best lap times and consistent laps being logged I was pleased to be able to quickly adjust the balance, and get the car extremely stable. They control the stiff springs very well over bumps. I am happy with my purchase, since these R2s are very affordable, and can compare to any two way shock on the market with quality, ease of use and extremely reactive adjustments. The more time I have with them the better the car will get, since that was just one test day with 4 20-30 minute sessions. I look forward to the next day on track! Thanks Eibach!

JW
Attached Images     

Last edited by JW racing; 02-23-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Eibach Multi Pro Shock review

Glad you like them!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good stuff!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 02-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What rear sway bar setting did you end up using?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I build another older chassis these be going on it!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jackson
What rear sway bar setting did you end up using?
I used Middle of the 3 adjustments for the last 2 sessions, but I think I will try and go full stiff on the bar next time out on my fresh tires.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you do a review of these vs. Koni 8041 Race? Obviously these have more features, but how much slower do you think you'd be on a Koni 8041 setup?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JW racing
I used Middle of the 3 adjustments for the last 2 sessions, but I think I will try and go full stiff on the bar next time out on my fresh tires.
I'm using the middle setting too. For reference, below are the specs of the Eibach 25mm bar vs. ITR 22mm. Even the middle setting is quite a bit stiffer than the ITR 22mm.

OE ITR bar: 22 mm (0.87 in) solid.
OE measured bar rate: 51 N/mm (292 lbs/in)
OE bar weight: 3.78 kg (8.4 lbs)

Eibach bar: 25 mm (1 in) tubular, adjustable. Part# 4086.312
Eibach measured bar rate:
Position 1 = 73 N/mm (418 lbs/in) +43%
Position 2 = 94 N/mm (533 lbs/in) +84%
Position 3 = 111 N/mm (630 lbs/in) +118%
Eibach bar weight: 3.15 kg (7.0 lbs)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by jdmspoonitr
Can you do a review of these vs. Koni 8041 Race? Obviously these have more features, but how much slower do you think you'd be on a Koni 8041 setup?
Those koni are only single adjustable and a twin tube which is not the best, a mono tube would be better. I personally liked the Tein monoflex better than the 8041 koni. The Eibach Multi-pro R2 are hands down better than both. I would say the Eibach R2 compare to a 3011/2812 or JRZ RS pro and similar. R1s should be coming out soon, single adjustable Multi-pro from Eibach and I am sure they will blow the 8041 away.
With my worn and corded tires and a slower gear ratio, I was still 2 sec faster than the last time out at the track I tested on with new tires and shorter gearing, so I would guess I would be right back where I was before, if I was on the 8041 Yellows.
For the money and for entry level, the 8041 are fine, Tein Monoflex are better and I feel the R1 will be the best single adjustable shock out.... then once you get into two way dampers and beyond they are in a whole 'nother league!

Last edited by Gearspeed-Performance; 02-27-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With fork on the rear i was thinking they only came with eye !!
What spring do you use ?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Benito
Eibach makes EG, ITR & EK shock applications in the R2.

EG/DC (non ITR) = Part# 4017.713
DC ITR = Part# 4020.713
EK = Part# 4018.713
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Benito
What spring do you use ?
They have both style mounts, that's whats great unlike some shocks, where you have to switch rear lower arms or what ever.

As far as springs, I use the 2.5-inch by 7-inch Eibach ERS springs with helper springs. You can buy everything from Eibach if you purchase the shocks and order any spring rates that you prefer.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Future Texas Boy

Thanks for the review!

If you are in Elsinore lets get your car to the Honda Meet! It's at Storm Stadium this year.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a plan!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you give us more feedback compare to similar shocks like koni 2812, moton double adjustable, etc.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by r_wannabe
Can you give us more feedback compare to similar shocks like koni 2812, moton double adjustable, etc.
Well the Eibach Multi-Pro R2 are similar to both of those in overall feel. I think they are all great shocks, but all have a different target price. For the value and performance results I wanted, I found what I was looking for in the R2. It is hard to directly compare because each of the shocks have different off the shelf valving, design, and different adjustment ranges. One may be better in a certain area than the other. However, generally speaking they are all fairly similar. The most important thing on any double, or triple etc. is to make sure they are valved to properly control the spring rates you choose, and to know what you are doing with the adjustments and be able to have a sense/feel for the changes.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JW racing
Well the Eibach Multi-Pro R2 are similar to both of those in overall feel. I think they are all great shocks, but all have a different target price. For the value and performance results I wanted, I found what I was looking for in the R2. It is hard to directly compare because each of the shocks have different off the shelf valving, design, and different adjustment ranges. One may be better in a certain area than the other. However, generally speaking they are all fairly similar. The most important thing on any double, or triple etc. is to make sure they are valved to properly control the spring rates you choose, and to know what you are doing with the adjustments and be able to have a sense/feel for the changes.
Fair Answer. The reason I ask is because I have some Koni 2812 valve for the springs range I want it.

Do you buy the off the shelf eibach? or did you have them valve to your specs?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

My R2's are off the shelf, which happen to be valved fairly spot on to the rates I am using. The R2 can be customized to accept any rates but they work great off the shelf for the most common spring rates.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thread back from the dead...

Does anybody know who makes the shock for the Eibach R2's? I doubt they are manufacturing them themselves. Is it Bilstein? Can Eibach do custom valving on the shocks?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by liam821
Thread back from the dead...

Does anybody know who makes the shock for the Eibach R2's? I doubt they are manufacturing them themselves. Is it Bilstein? Can Eibach do custom valving on the shocks?
Everything is done here in house in Corona Ca. Raw material storage, machining, Tig welding and assembly is done under one roof. The only thing we do not do is the polishing of the bodies or anodizing.

We can do custom valving if really needed, we have had really good feedback with the "off the shelf" valving. .
Old 12-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Reyes
Everything is done here in house in Corona Ca. Raw material storage, machining, Tig welding and assembly is done under one roof. The only thing we do not do is the polishing of the bodies or anodizing.

We can do custom valving if really needed, we have had really good feedback with the "off the shelf" valving. .
Wow that's really impressive that it's all done in-house. How stiff springs can the "off the shelf" shocks support? What is the sweet spot in terms of spring rates? My application would be an EG chassis with ITR rear LCAs (so ITR).
Old 12-24-2014, 05:47 AM
DixielandImports Please

Nevermind
Old 12-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by liam821
Wow that's really impressive that it's all done in-house. How stiff springs can the "off the shelf" shocks support? What is the sweet spot in terms of spring rates? My application would be an EG chassis with ITR rear LCAs (so ITR).

We have seen guys run up to 1000lb/in rates without revalving. That is higher than we tested with here, but they appear to be working for those guys. I have an EG with ITR lower arms and am currently running 700/600lb/in rates and have had good success with those. Not sure if it would be considered a "sweet spot" but we have seen a good amount of people running in the 600-800lb/in range with good success. A lot of that really has to do with your personal preference on how the car feels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eibach Multi Pro Shock review