Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

EHPS Redone

Old 04-23-2016, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EHPS Redone

Bringing this tread back to get some cues... Anyone try to connect the vss with the 2001-2005 mr2 pump? Also, anyone run honda power steering oil with this pump?

Thanks for answering!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm questioning the necessity of the P/S cooler. It looks like most people are putting one on for peace of mind.

The factory MR2 Spyder does not use a cooler at all. The lines from the pump go directly to the rack.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Depending on what you are going to do with the car you will or wilm not need one...

Mine is install on a racecar that sometimes runs up to 275 wide slick upfront... that s a lot of grip and when I didnt have one (at first) the steering would kicks sometimes like if the ps was lacking on fast right to left to right transition... Since I ve put the cooler, its almost unperceptatable anymore...

keep in mind that the mr2 ps puts about 1200psi vs almost 2000 psi (if my memory good). The weight on the mr2 is mosty distribute 50/50( central engine) vs 65/35 on a traction... So under hard braking, there s way more weight toward the front witch make the pymp working harder...

if you only drive your car on the road, no cooler should be fine... But if you plan on doing lapping, race, or worst autox, I recommand one. Plus it might make your pump to last longer as it will be less stress out there...
Old 08-21-2019, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I NEED HELP . this pump keeps blowing out my rack and pinion on the right side connector of my 08 tsx rack? any suggestions i have got through 3 racks and even tried a brand new from dealer 05 mr2 pump?
Old 04-30-2020, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

Bringing this back because I think it's a really cool topic. Has anyone done a column conversion yet? A friend mentioned to me collecting Vue parts, and I started looking around and found all kinds of options:

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...issues.363066/

Seems like a great opportunity to get some weight off the front end too. Bonus, the parts are way cheaper. Allegedly I can get a Saturn Vue column for ~$40 at the pick and pull and it's mostly fab from there. If you could cram a 1.5x quickener with an EG/EK depowered rack you would have a full electric powered 2.4LTL setup with all of the bulk behind the firewall! There is also a seller on eBay that sells a black box for the Vue rack that offers the user adjustable assist. I think I'd favor the failsafe mode of the Toyota racks though.

Thoughts?
Old 04-30-2020, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that sounds good to me - in for answers/opinions!
Old 05-01-2020, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

The Vue racks have been known to overheat and go into some sort of limp mode I've read.

I put an electro/hydraulic pump from on Opel Astra in my Prelude over the winter. Very easy, three wire hook-up and works great. Fairly cheap to do, too.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, further reading shows you can aggravate them just by sawing the wheel back and forth for a few seconds. I've just been scanning over things, but it looks like that may actually be an issue with the controller, not the motor unit? And perhaps - there's an opportunity to address that with the Toyota racks since the ecu is a separate unit. This guy is doing a ton of science-ing on an FRS unit:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...g-in-an-A-Body

I love the pro-touring forums, there are lots of guys there who are not afraid to go down a garage engineering wormhole.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spAdam
Yeah, further reading shows you can aggravate them just by sawing the wheel back and forth for a few seconds. I've just been scanning over things, but it looks like that may actually be an issue with the controller, not the motor unit? And perhaps - there's an opportunity to address that with the Toyota racks since the ecu is a separate unit. This guy is doing a ton of science-ing on an FRS unit:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...g-in-an-A-Body

I love the pro-touring forums, there are lots of guys there who are not afraid to go down a garage engineering wormhole.

There are a number of people in my local autocross group using the VUE unit without issues. I codrove in a CRX on 275 hoosiers at nationals last year using the Vue unit. We were sawing back and forth for 1+ minute at a time. You can also buy a controller on ebay to adjust the sensitivity: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Vue-...QAAOSwr7tZfvQP

I am actually about to do this to my car using the Prius EPS and the quaife quick steer rack:

Old 05-05-2020, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ross2004
The Vue racks have been known to overheat and go into some sort of limp mode I've read.

I put an electro/hydraulic pump from on Opel Astra in my Prelude over the winter. Very easy, three wire hook-up and works great. Fairly cheap to do, too.
In my experience the people that overheat them are running them on depowered hydro racks. So they put more strain on the unit. If your car came with a manual rack it tends to be a lot easier on them.
The following 2 users liked this post by 90civichbsi:
Old 05-05-2020, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's really interesting and not really surprising. I wonder if it would make a difference if the rack was fully "depowered" by removing the center piston.

I still want to see how it would go with a quickener on the column too - I made a spreadsheet (because I seem to for everything that crosses my mind these days) and it shows a pretty sweet spot with a stock 92-00 Civic de-powered rack and a 1.5 quickener at ~2.4LTL. That around the same LTL as an AP1 if what I've found on the web is correct.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's really interesting and not really surprising. I wonder if it would make a difference if the rack was fully "depowered" by removing the center piston.
Likely would be better if it was fully depowered. The one I have experienced that would cut out had looped hoses and no other modifications to the rack.

I still want to see how it would go with a quickener on the column too - I made a spreadsheet (because I seem to for everything that crosses my mind these days) and it shows a pretty sweet spot with a stock 92-00 Civic de-powered rack and a 1.5 quickener at ~2.4LTL. That around the same LTL as an AP1 if what I've found on the web is correct.
The CRX had the same 2.83 LTL rack I am installing. Only EPS car I know of running a quickener is a Miata, but he's running the SuperATV setup below.

I know of other's running this setup in their modified cars. It's a slightly smaller EPS unit than the Prius and way smaller than the VUE, but also costly:
https://www.superatv.com/universal-p...8aAnxYEALw_wcB