Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Data: AiMSolo2 DL or the AEM CD7 with VDM what is your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Data: AiMSolo2 DL or the AEM CD7 with VDM what is your experience?

Hey guys, I am going back and forth between the AiMSolo2DL and the AEM CD7/10ghz VDM combo. I have done some research, both support KproV4 and have decent information on setting them up on high/low can etc. What are your experiences and opinions on these two options? I am currently leaning toward the AEM after the research because of the custom display configurations, warnings/alerts, and video overlay with MP4 from any type of camera etc..

What do you use and why do you like it. Any specific information regarding tips or tricks with interfacing with Kpro4 would also be awesome.. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Data: AiMSolo2 DL or the AEM CD7 with VDM what is your experience?

i have a solo but not a dl. I wish i had more data and will probably be moving to the new small aim dash eventually. the data overlay on video is easy with the aim and race render...i would vote for future proofing the setup
Old 06-24-2019, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm also looking at the AIM dash setups... but I'm sticking with Hondata S300
Old 06-24-2019, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
i have a solo but not a dl. I wish i had more data and will probably be moving to the new small aim dash eventually. the data overlay on video is easy with the aim and race render...i would vote for future proofing the setup

Originally Posted by Kaan
I'm also looking at the AIM dash setups... but I'm sticking with Hondata S300
If you had a choice between the AEM CD7/VDM or the AiM with the Smartycam (prices being equal), you would still go with the AiM? I see that the AEM has support for the S300 or Kpro. One thing that I like about the AiM solo 2DL/Smartycam setup is that the tracks are all pre-loaded and it auto recognizes where you are and sets up the start etc. The AEM learns the track but I dont see where it stores any. Both offer a 10ghz gps/glonass option for around 350.00. Seems like the overlay process is a manual process with the AEM. Where as the AiM is more plug-n-play with autostart and overlays etc. I like the simplicity of the AiM but prefer the dash/overlay/warning configurability (that is not a word) of the AEM. Bah the choices.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you looked at RaceCapture Pro? That’s what I use and I’m happy with it. They’re continuously making updates/improvements.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ross2004
Have you looked at RaceCapture Pro? That’s what I use and I’m happy with it. They’re continuously making updates/improvements.
Nope I havent seen that yet but Ill check it out! Thanks!
Old 06-25-2019, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

the AIM + smartycam just makes life "easy." I'm still working on my seating processes... so I tend to forget my camera. this isn't an issue with the smartycam. Also, I'm required to have a working camera at all time... and they just work. BUT the negative of the smartycam is that they take 720p-ish video. As you know, 720p just wont cut it these days for the youtube kids and making fancy videos.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kaan
the AIM + smartycam just makes life "easy." I'm still working on my seating processes... so I tend to forget my camera. this isn't an issue with the smartycam. Also, I'm required to have a working camera at all time... and they just work. BUT the negative of the smartycam is that they take 720p-ish video. As you know, 720p just wont cut it these days for the youtube kids and making fancy videos.
That SmartyCam is a bunch of cake for 720P potato-vision (specs are: H.264 1280x720 pixels @ 30 fps). I wish they would make a better camera OR make it a 200.00 add-on its hard to justify 1K for 720P. Id like to use my IphoneXr on a gimbal then do the overlay, video is amazing on that thing. I was thinking about a suction mounted gimbal on the inner sunroof glass until I get the cage worked out.

Edit: It looks like the (30-5703)CD7-LG (carbon) has an internal 20ghz gps. This would be the unit that I am comparing to the AiMSolo2 DL.

Last edited by Dublocivic; 06-25-2019 at 09:14 AM.