Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Civic EG brake pads compound F-R

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic EG brake pads compound F-R

Hi, I need some advice on brake pads compound for my time attack EG. I currently use the wilwood Dpha caliper with hawk dtc-60 in front and stock caliper rear with hawk blue 9012. I have good stop, but at high speed braking the rear is way to sensitive and lose control. The weight is 2,100 and use dot R-compound tires. Thanks for the help
Old 04-05-2016, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic EG brake pads compound F-R

I always used stockish pads in the rear.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:59 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Front DTC-60's ,and rear hawk blues
Legend calipers up front, stock rear.
Make sure you have a 40/40 prop valve.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, yes I have the 40/40 valve. When I brake at high speed the back go like hydroplaning very scary!!!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by known
I always used stockish pads in the rear.
Thanks, I will try oem in the rear
Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

I have used the same compounds without similar results.

I went to a XR2 for a bit more bit.

What are your alignment settings?

The only time that I've had that issue, I had some sort of debris in my left rear caliper. Threshold braking into fast brake zones was gnarly to say the least. Finally after two brake bleeding sessions, the debris flew out and it was back to normal.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

with Integra calipers on my EJ2, I'm doing HP Plus up front, stock in rear.

That's with stock power.

Friend with B16B is running DTC60 up front and stock in rear. He also has integra calipers.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Egezzy
I have used the same compounds without similar results.

I went to a XR2 for a bit more bit.

What are your alignment settings?

The only time that I've had that issue, I had some sort of debris in my left rear caliper. Threshold braking into fast brake zones was gnarly to say the least. Finally after two brake bleeding sessions, the debris flew out and it was back to normal.
Front -3 camber 1/8 toe-out rear -2.8 camber 0 toe. I think that is to much rear camber but is the only option to not rub the tires, 15x8 +28 wheels
Old 04-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you checking your tires with a pyro meter?

Personally, I ran 2.8 in front, and 1.8 in the rear. 2.8 in the rear seems like a lot?

I know what squirrely feeling you're having, and for me it was the weight transfer and the rear getting light...aero can help, it did for me somewhat by adding a wing.

Wait, I just noticed you toe'd out in the rear??? set that back to 0 and I assume you might have more control.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GABOCRX
Front -3 camber 1/8 toe-out rear -2.8 camber 0 toe. I think that is to much rear camber but is the only option to not rub the tires, 15x8 +28 wheels
Originally Posted by known
Wait, I just noticed you toe'd out in the rear??? set that back to 0 and I assume you might have more control.
When the OP mentioned Front -3 camber 1/8 toe-out rear -2.8 camber 0 toe it looks to me that he is saying that the front toe is 1/8" toe out, and that the rear toe is zero. - Jim
Old 04-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes rear toe is zero. I will change rear wheels to run less camber. Thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 07:17 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Also, what spring rates are you running, damping adjustable, etc?

That rear camber is high, but sounds like it's standing on it's nose which doesn't help with the rear camber/small rear contact patch.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A few questions/comments:

1) Are all of the suspension bushings in good shape? Are they OEM, hardened rubber, poly, or spherical? I know that people mentioning issues if poly is used for the rear trailer arm bushing, but I'm not sure what effect it would have on the braking.

2) Have you always had issues with the rear feel unstable under hard braking, or was it only after some recent modification? What I'm wondering about, is the possibility that maybe the rear brakes are locking up too easily, and that people are thinking about too much rear camber or possibly the rear pad compound causing it. Also, what size rotor do the front Wilwoods use? I thought I read something about them using somewhat of a small rotor, so just thinking about the possibility that the fronts aren't quite as well balanced as they should be.
Personally, on my car (2000 civic hatch), I'm using around camber of -3.5 front and -2.5 to -2.6 rear which seems to be a good average setting. I originally used Carbotech XP10 (front) and AX6 autocross (rear) brake pads, but after I switched to Raybestos ST43 front pads, I felt that the fronts were locking up earlier than the rears, so I switched to Carbotech XP8 pads for the rear. What I'm getting at, is maybe the Hawk Blue pads for the rear are too much and causing most of the issue for you. - Jim

Last edited by Calif_Kid; 04-08-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Egezzy
Also, what spring rates are you running, damping adjustable, etc?

That rear camber is high, but sounds like it's standing on it's nose which doesn't help with the rear camber/small rear contact patch.
Fortune auto 510 14k-12k, I don't find the perfect damping yet.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Calif_Kid
A few questions/comments:

1) Are all of the suspension bushings in good shape? Are they OEM, hardened rubber, poly, or spherical? I know that people mentioning issues if poly is used for the rear trailer arm bushing, but I'm not sure what effect it would have on the braking.

2) Have you always had issues with the rear feel unstable under hard braking, or was it only after some recent modification? What I'm wondering about, is the possibility that maybe the rear brakes are locking up too easily, and that people are thinking about too much rear camber or possibly the rear pad compound causing it. Also, what size rotor do the front Wilwoods use? I thought I read something about them using somewhat of a small rotor, so just thinking about the possibility that the fronts aren't quite as well balanced as they should be.
Personally, on my car (2000 civic hatch), I'm using around camber of -3.5 front and -2.5 to -2.6 rear which seems to be a good average setting. I originally used Carbotech XP10 (front) and AX6 autocross (rear) brake pads, but after I switched to Raybestos ST43 front pads, I felt that the fronts were looking up earlier than the rears, so I switched to Carbotech XP8 pads for the rear. What I'm getting at, is maybe the Hawk Blue pads for the rear are too much and causing most of the issue for you. - Jim
Is a new time attack project, all bushings front and rear are spherical. The wilwood calipers use the oem 10" rotor is the first time that I use wilwood calipers. In my previous car I use the same compund dtc60- blue but with 11" rotor and integra caliper and never feel this problem, so the point that you mention about rotor size is very acceptable. I will try street compund in the rear. Thanks. Here is some laps with very conservative braking https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...5&id=509384924