Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Which car should I use for autocross and rallycross??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which car should I use for autocross and rallycross??

I've been debating for the last year or so as to which one of my cars I should use to autocross and which I should use for rally/rallycross. I have two cars that I can use. A 99 hyundai tiburon and a 95 civic hb dx.

The tiburon I have used in rallycrosses before, and It's 100% stock. The body is in good shape. The civic has been sitting and came from the north so it extremely rusty. It will need both inner and outer quarter panels replaced and the hood is done. I'm going to restore the civic, and I want to have one car dedicated to autocross, and one for rallycross. And at one point I want the rallycross car to go into full stage rally.

What car should be built for which? I was thinking that the civic would be best for rally since it'll need to be torn anyway. What would you guys do?
Old 12-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which car should I use for autocross and rallycross??

Civic for the rally... lighter in weight, since you need to do body work on it anyway, may as well add in a road cage and switch weld etc. you also have much more variety of engine swap choice with the civic...

IMO, just build the Civic and use it for both.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I currently Auto and Rallycross the same car, stock suspension will work for both, and when you decide to do something stiffer for autox you just keep the stock setup for rallyx and switch out at the mounting bolts.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by codenamezero
Civic for the rally... lighter in weight, since you need to do body work on it anyway, may as well add in a road cage and switch weld etc. you also have much more variety of engine swap choice with the civic...

IMO, just build the Civic and use it for both.
That's what I've been thinking. Since the car needs a complete rebuild from the ground up anyway.

Originally Posted by Shinny
I currently Auto and Rallycross the same car, stock suspension will work for both, and when you decide to do something stiffer for autox you just keep the stock setup for rallyx and switch out at the mounting bolts.
I hadn't thought of using the same car for both. Thanks for the idea.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you the same guy that post in the member journal with the tiburon on dirtyimpreza? Either car is good for rally crossing but the civic would dominate autocross compare to the tiburon. Stock for stock the tiburon does have more torque which helps in rallycrossing with the lower speed corners.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're asking a question for preference on a Honda forum. Of course the majority will be for the Honda.

But speaking from experience, go with the Honda if you plan on making it a stage rally car.

For now, keep it stock for AutoX and RallyX. New stock class rules allow you to change the front OR rear (but only one) sway. So add an Si rear bar. Keep stock springs on off the shelf Bilstein HD shocks and you're good. For tires, I don't rallyX but the norm seems snow tires in a stock class, if not a wide tread block all season tire (something similar to a General Grabber AT2). You won't need anything more than stock springs for a rallyX. Depending how bumpy your courses are, add provisions for a skid plate mount. You'd probably be fine running 1/8" for RallyX but look to upgrade to 1/4" for stage rally.

In my Civic:
No sways for snow
no front/Si rear for gravel
LX front, 24mm ASR rear for track/tarmac.

Once you start getting to do stage rally, you're open with so many options. Off the shelf rally suspension kits, gear kits, engine swaps, etc.