Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

which brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which brake pads?

i'm wondering which brake pads i should use for a track day at willowsprings coming up. i was thinking either ebc redstuff or hawk hp+ pads. these will be used with oe rotors. i was thinking about driving to the track with the stock pads then switching them out. by the way, the track is about 200 miles away from me. any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which brake pads? (blackapino85)

You can drive to the track and back (even 200mi away) with Carbotech XP8s. Switching out stocks is a good idea.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even for a first timer, I usually recommend getting a serious set of pads. Beginners can easily make quick work of a front pads if not the right type with "in-training" braking techniques, and nothing sucks more than running out of brakes when you're at the track for a weekend trying to have a good time and get the driving learn-on.

By serious, I'd say Carbotech Panther XP, Hawk Blue, Porterfield R4, and whatever Cobalt is calling their trackday pads nowadays. 200 miles, provided it's mostly highway driving shouldn't really destroy much of anything. I'd be seriously tempted to bring whatever's in there now for the trip home, just in case you happen to need them.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:48 PM

thanks for the recommendations. will the pads you guys are talking about work ok with stock rotors and daily driving on the street? roundtrip, the mileage will be around 400 miles not including the track abuse, but most of it will be on the freeway.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (blackapino85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackapino85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the recommendations. will the pads you guys are talking about work ok with stock rotors and daily driving on the street? roundtrip, the mileage will be around 400 miles not including the track abuse, but most of it will be on the freeway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

some of them will. the cobalt friction GT-Sports are "streetable" though they have more dust and will squeal a little. I got lazy and have been running them Daily lately, and it's not a big deal. though someone recently toasted their GT-S right off the backing plate, i've never even gotten close. then again maybe i'm just too easy on my brakes.

the hawk HP+ is another good double performer.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:25 AM
.RJ

XP8's are streetable. Upgrade the fluid too (motul 600, wilwood, ferodo, ATE, etc).
Old 07-21-2004, 06:03 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

some of them will. the cobalt friction GT-Sports are "streetable" though they have more dust and will squeal a little. I got lazy and have been running them Daily lately, and it's not a big deal. though someone recently toasted their GT-S right off the backing plate, i've never even gotten close. then again maybe i'm just too easy on my brakes.

the hawk HP+ is another good double performer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The GT Sport is a street pad. You'd have no problem with it there. I'm not sure how you're being lazy by not changing pads if you're running the GT Sport.

Depending on track, your braking technique, and your car, it's not a great pad for the track (err...actually it works great until you toast them). That was me that toasted the GT Sports

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=919456

I'm now using the GT Sports on the street/autocross and Cobalt Spec Vrs for the track.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Re: (Shmeek)

I have had good results using the carbotech 1108 compound on the street and on the track (when I had a 3400lb tt supra). The come on quick enough when cold when used on the street (well at least in the south they do) but are good to 1350 F on the track. I am going to bump up to 1109s (they cooked a set for me yesterday) so see how they do.
Barry H.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (apexinghonda)

I have had good luck with Dave Turner brake pads and motul 600

and the Dave Turner pads are carbon metalic and good price.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i have limited knowledge about road racing/autocross but on the street and some spirited(not exceeding speed limit)canyon driving I found AXXIS Metal Masters to be good on my "stock" 00 GSR. These pads were moderately priced aswell.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shmeek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The GT Sport is a street pad. You'd have no problem with it there. I'm not sure how you're being lazy by not changing pads if you're running the GT Sport.

Depending on track, your braking technique, and your car, it's not a great pad for the track (err...actually it works great until you toast them). That was me that toasted the GT Sports

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=919456

I'm now using the GT Sports on the street/autocross and Cobalt Spec Vrs for the track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

they're sold as a street/auto-x pad, but since i've got a set of crappy AEM's to burn i'd rather daily drive those.

I'm off to streets of willow this weekend, we'll see how they hold up. Last time i was there with them i didn't notice any problems with heat fade, but then again i am really light on the brakes.

they're definitely a step up from the OE nissin's though.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shmeek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed, it's a great street pad*. I've had mine for about 3 months now and have not discovered a drawback yet. Come winter time I might change my tune but for now I think they are fantastic.

*Also kicks *** for autox.

edit for clarification.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:54 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (rapid_roy)

Here's what you should do.

Call Cobalt Friction at 877-562-9237 toll free. They sell most of the major brands, they have great prices and great service, they really know their stuff, and they're nice people, too. They will discuss your needs with you and recommend the very best pads for your specific situation. And you can buy them there at a great price.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread will interest you:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=920288

Carbotech brake pads rock.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which brake pads? (krshultz)

you can daily cobalt spec-vr. the pad will just eat the rotor. i would check out the hawk hp+, cobalt gt sport or carbotech bobcat, panther+. all those can be daily driven. my friends and i have double duitied those pads before moving to real race pads.
-spenc
Old 07-21-2004, 09:46 PM

good info! thanks alot. by the way, has anyone done the driving school at streets of willow through redline track events? it's $30 extra but i figure it's money well spent for being a first timer.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackapino85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good info! thanks alot. by the way, has anyone done the driving school at streets of willow through redline track events? it's $30 extra but i figure it's money well spent for being a first timer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it def. helps having an instructor. streets can be pretty tricky, so it'll help having someone who a) knows the line and b) can help you with the fundamentals.

well worth it, imo.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:46 PM

thats what i thought.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:30 AM

how come noone recommends the ebc yellow or blue?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Re: (JeremyL)

ive heard a lot of good write ups about the new formula ebc red and ive been running ebc green on both my cars now and they work very very well
Old 08-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JeremyL)

Because EBC Sucks Donkey ***
Old 08-05-2004, 01:39 PM
New User

Default Re: (Solracer)

I find a vendor I like and stick with him. That's Carbotech for me. I have them on ALL (2 Camaors, 2 Hondas, 1 Toyota, 1 S10 Blaser, 1 surburban, plus others) my cars ranging from street use to towing to track days to full race.

I'm using Panther, Panther +, 1108, 1109, 1110 compounds depending on application.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

they're sold as a street/auto-x pad, but since i've got a set of crappy AEM's to burn i'd rather daily drive those.

I'm off to streets of willow this weekend, we'll see how they hold up. Last time i was there with them i didn't notice any problems with heat fade, but then again i am really light on the brakes.

they're definitely a step up from the OE nissin's though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

update:

running SOWS CCW had these pads begging for mercy. smokey, pad fadey goodness even with light brake foot. I realized that the first time i had them out at WS, the ambient temp was about 20 degrees lower and i was running SOWS CW.

still, the pads would outlast my tires in a 20 minute run session, since my shitty pirellis were practically melting in paddock/grid anyway.