Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

A bit early (USGP)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit early (USGP)...

did anybody go last year? How was the trip. Are you going again?

I'm considering trying to get out this year, just looking for general info on how the weekend is run.

Al
Old 06-08-2001, 11:07 AM
Trial User

Default Re: A bit early (USGP)... (Crack Monkey)

I went, it was kick ***. For the race, we sat on the outside of turn 1, which were pretty good, although there were several other spots I'd rather have been. One thing you'll want to do is walk around alot the day or two before the race, because it gets super crowded for Sunday.

We stood up in the very top of the upper deck right across from the Ferrari paddock for part of Saturday and real early on Sunday. Those are kick *** spots - nice view and a cool breeze blowing in, plus we were around all the Ferrari diehards. If I go again in the future, I wanna try and sit up there.

My only complaints were the loooooooooonnnnngggg food and beer lines. They didnt seem prepared for that type of crowd. I almost missed the start waiting in line for some Fosters

As for this year, I wont be going. Not for any particular reason other than the fact I'm racing almost every other weekend this summer, and didnt wanna spend the $$$ going to indy. I hightly recommend it though!

Old 06-08-2001, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went last year, it was a FREAKIN BLAST! No words can describe the sounds those cars make in person. Took almost 1000 pics with the Digicam. We had some of the best seats available I think, in the old Pressboxes, just past the start finish line. It was cool "people-spotting" the crowd around the cars right before the start, we saw David Letterman, Fergie, Mario Andretti, Paul Tracy, Montoya, man it was awesome!
I would agree on the food/beer lines. Actually the food wasnt that good either. The crowd, though large, was very well behaved...lots of people not from the USA there! And lots of nice babes too, hehe.

Basically the weekend goes like this: Friday Practice, Saturday Qualifying, and Sunday race. Mixed into there are the support races; last year it was the Ferrari Challenge (355s and 360Modenas) and the Porsche Supercup (911s).

I will be going this year too, and bringing several more friends. I cant wait!! I just hope the weather is a little better on race day this year....
You will not regret it if you go, I can guarentee you that!
Old 06-10-2001, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went last year. It really good. Im going again this year. I just got back from Monaco and that was 10 times better!
Old 06-12-2001, 10:27 AM
New User

Went last year, had a blast. I went with a friend who is an F1 nut, as well as his dad and some of his friends who are more NASCAR nuts.

Friday and Saturday were, in my opinion, the best days. You're free to wander around the track, plop your butt down and watch cars. We ended up at the end of the back straight, just before the really tight turns heading back out onto the oval. Spread a blanket on a hill and kicked back with a case of beer. I'd highly recommend hanging out in that neighborhood. (Guess it didn't hurt that I knew a few of the corner workers back there, too, and could chat with them between sessions.)

Our seats for the race weren't the greatest, but weren't bad: they were on the front stretch, about halfway between start and T1. During the race, about all we saw was a blur as the cars screamed (and I mean SCREAMED) past; we did have a jumbotron straight across from us, which at least gave us a clue about what was happening elsewhere on the track.

We've discussed just going for Friday and Saturday this year, then heading partway back to Iowa, getting a nice suite to party in, and watching the race on TV. Dunno if it'll happen that way, but...

And I suspect it won't be QUITE the madhouse it was last year; there isn't the "first F1 GP in 10 years" experience behind it - and I've heard they're still kinda looking for corner workers, which I take as an indication that there's a little less interest this year. (That and there are a bunch of other events happening within a couple weeks, which dilutes the force a bit.)

All in all, a great experience. I'll definitely be there this year!

Jarrod
jigou@raquet.net
'99 Supersonic Blue GS-R

[Modified by bluegsr, 7:47 PM 6/12/2001]
Old 06-12-2001, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A bit early

I was there last year and will try to make it this year. The only problems ive encountered are:

1. Hotel prices are pretty outrageous. I will be staying at my friends place about 1.5 hrs away and drive in each day.

2. Traffic coming back after the race sunday is insane. A 3hr drive to indy for me coming in became a 6.5 hr trip leaving.

But, of course, such problems are outwieghed by the many benefits. The main one being that theyll run the event rain or shine, all three days.

Downeybear, how was Monaco? How much did it cost to go there? I want to see that and canada in person next year.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went last year too. I had a lot of fun. Really had more fun during the qualification days walking around and taking pics on my digicam, run back to the laptop, download then back to the track. It rained for the actual race a bit. I sat in the stands across from the entrance of the pit lane. Full view of Ferrari!! In going, we rented a 30+ foot motorhome. It was fun, until we ran out of water and the "******* was full." No dumping stations and the damn water truck never would show itself while we were there!!! Also we were interview from a European F1 magazine, with pictures of the motorhome and us (they never saw a motorhome before). Too bad they never put it in the damn magazine! I'd love to go again this year, but if I do, it will be including a HOTEL ROOM!

Thanks,
Victor Perri II
Old 06-18-2001, 11:41 AM
SK1
Honda-Tech Member

Went last year. First F1 race and was a total blast. We were on the main straight after the start finish in the tower terrace. The seats weren't that good. Just saw cars whiz buy the whole race. The only good part of the seats was the start. 22 cars running 18000 rpm at the same time was insane and deafening. Don't forget your earplugs. It seems like the best seats are at turn 1. If you need to stay in a hotel and haven't booked one yet, you'll be staying in Chicago, Cincinnati, or East BF. We booked out hotel over 6 months before the race and the closet place we found was in Terre Haute. One things for sure, if you go to an F1 race, plan way ahead.
Went to the Canadian GP this year. We were at the exit of the hairpin. Unbelievable! Jean Alesi is tha man! He did a burnout at the hairpin after the race to show appreciation to the fans. In Canada everyone loves that guy. People would cheer him on and he would wave back at the crowd (during practice of course). Totally blew away the USGP in my opinion. The fans are much more passionate about the sport because they have a driver to follow (Villeneuve). Montreal is a great city to visit, party, and have fun. They block off streets, car manufactures set up tents, and race fans are everywhere. It's a festival. Plus, they let you walk on the track after the race. At the USGP, I saw a fan get stiff-armed and totally laid out as he ran past a track official. They tried to block off the main straight with tow trucks. They apparently don't know F1 fans.
If you have the opportunity to get out there. You should definitely go. It'll be an experience you'll never forget. Especially if you've never gone to an F1 race.

Shawn.