Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Best Replacement Options for Old Suspension Components?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Replacement Options for Old Suspension Components?

I semi-recently inherited a 97 EX coupe when my girlfriends car was flooded. I decided instead of sending it to the junk yard, I'd use it to build a somewhat cheap track car as no tracks will allow my Miata without a roll bar (rightfully so) and getting myself under a roll bar in a Miata is far more trouble than it would be worth. The Civic is currently pushing 200k miles and more than a few of the suspension components have never been replaced as far as I know, and a few of the ones that have been replaced (tie rods, UCA) were done using whatever was cheapest at the time.

So, I was wondering what would be the best option for replacing things like tie rods, upper/lower control arms, ball joints, parts like that was. I was considering just replacing everything with OEM/Moog parts, but was wondering if there was a different or better option. I'm not trying to build the most competitive car, just something that will be fun, safe and reliable. I did some searching but didn't really find anything relevant to replacing everything. I do currently plan on going with Progress coilovers and their rear sway bar and tie bar, unless I find a really good deal on Koni's and Ground Control springs, in case that's relevant to answering my question, and I plan on converting to Integra rear disc brakes some what soon since even if I kept the drum brakes, they need to be serviced and likely replaced as well.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Old 05-29-2017, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Best Replacement Options for Old Suspension Components?

You sound like me when I was goin through the suspension on my 97. I bought PIC bushings with the intent to have them pressed into control arms. Then, i didnt have time or the desire to spend the money for a shop to press the bushings in. So I ended up selling the PIC bushings.

Then I was left with square 1 all over again. I wanted firmer which Moog/OEM didnt offer. I didnt want to deal with habing a shop press in the bushings. So, I went with Hardrace EVERYTHING. Anything that had a bushing was replaced with a Hardrace unit - LCA, UCA, Camber links, RTA, etc. Sure it might seem expensive but compared to what I wouldve spent (including time) on pressing in bushings, the cost difference was very minimal.

Hardrace makes awesome products. Car feels solid and not harsh. I would highly recommend them.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Plus one on this ^
Next step up from stock and PIC.
There are other much more expensive options, but not necessarily best.
Buy the best you can afford.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zerovandez
You sound like me when I was goin through the suspension on my 97. I bought PIC bushings with the intent to have them pressed into control arms. Then, i didnt have time or the desire to spend the money for a shop to press the bushings in. So I ended up selling the PIC bushings.

Then I was left with square 1 all over again. I wanted firmer which Moog/OEM didnt offer. I didnt want to deal with habing a shop press in the bushings. So, I went with Hardrace EVERYTHING. Anything that had a bushing was replaced with a Hardrace unit - LCA, UCA, Camber links, RTA, etc. Sure it might seem expensive but compared to what I wouldve spent (including time) on pressing in bushings, the cost difference was very minimal.

Hardrace makes awesome products. Car feels solid and not harsh. I would highly recommend them.
Good to hear. I was recently looking at a few items from Hardrace and going through the same thought process with motor mounts. Seems like it was the same thing, no point in buying stock or adding inserts when they will never be quite as good as just spending the extra money on good mounts. I'll probably look more into the Hardrace option. My original plan was going with 1A auto stuff, but I was afraid the quality wouldn't be there, and at least for the next 2+ years, this is a car that needs to be driven to and from track events. Can't have important parts failing.

Originally Posted by dirty19
Plus one on this ^
Next step up from stock and PIC.
There are other much more expensive options, but not necessarily best.
Buy the best you can afford.
Thanks! Always good to hear a second opinion supporting an option like this. Affordable is definitely part of the build because I'm on kind of a tight budget, but I'm also not in a rush. Don't need the best parts, but definitely need quality parts.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...so about 3 years ago, when I was going through the same thing, the guys on here told me that Hardrace was junk and OEM was the only way to go. Now that I have replaced everything with OEM rubber, now the advice you give is to go with Hardrace?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_EH3
...so about 3 years ago, when I was going through the same thing, the guys on here told me that Hardrace was junk and OEM was the only way to go. Now that I have replaced everything with OEM rubber, now the advice you give is to go with Hardrace?
I think back at that time Hardrace went from having a US distributor In So Cal to having their wares being sold on ebay .
Then there were some knock off items being circulated on ebay which brought the quality of their products into question.
I'm sure if you buy directly from Hardrace you should be ok
Old 06-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hardrace works well. I have a mix of Energy suspension polyurethane, PCI spherical and hardrace bushings. If you have the room for it I would buy one of these presses: https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton...ess-60603.html. Even the 12 ton unit should get the job done.

I bought one a a few years ago so I could start doing my own wheel bearings and have found tons of other uses for it.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90civichbsi
Hardrace works well. I have a mix of Energy suspension polyurethane, PCI spherical and hardrace bushings. If you have the room for it I would buy one of these presses: https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton...ess-60603.html. Even the 12 ton unit should get the job done.

I bought one a a few years ago so I could start doing my own wheel bearings and have found tons of other uses for it.
I may look into that then. I've got the room and being able to do wheel bearings, bushing and other things would come in handy.