Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Best light weight battery 2016

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best light weight battery 2016

Seems like all the battery threads I read have dead links referencing products with no part numbers.
What's the current norm beside the odyssey pc680?
The following from battery mart work? 12v 18ah 200cca
12 Volt 18 Ah Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery: BatteryMart.com

The only thing in the car of any luxury or necessity are headlights and the motor electronics. Also, it's relocated to the rear and runs a stock b20.
Any insight would be great!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Best light weight battery 2016

Look at the specs of the odyssey PC680.
The CCAs size and weight, that should give you enough information to find a comparable battery in the same arena.

I used the PC680 and wasn't impressed at all.
They tend to go dead and wont hold a charge even with using a battery tender.
After being disappointed at the track more than once I went back to a full size battery.
5-7 lbs in weight savings isn't going to help your lap times or handling.
What do I use?
Duracell Ultra Gold 36 mo replacement if it goes belly up.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I find it strange that you had so much trouble with the Odyssey PC680, dirty19.

I have had mine for a full year now (out of the car on a tender during winter months, though, and always on a tender when the car is parked back home). Still performs the same way it did the day I first connected it. The car is driven hard at least 2-3 times a month on the track during the summer time, which creates lots of heat and vibration under the hood.

Maybe it will die on me soon, I don't know...
Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_EH3
I find it strange that you had so much trouble with the Odyssey PC680, dirty19.

I have had mine for a full year now (out of the car on a tender during winter months, though, and always on a tender when the car is parked back home). Still performs the same way it did the day I first connected it. The car is driven hard at least 2-3 times a month on the track during the summer time, which creates lots of heat and vibration under the hood.

Maybe it will die on me soon, I don't know...
Not just one.. the second battery had a post come loose inside the battery.
Sent it back to Odyssey they confirmed the post had come loose inside.
Replacement battery went belly up too.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dirty19
Not just one.. the second battery had a post come loose inside the battery.
Sent it back to Odyssey they confirmed the post had come loose inside.
Replacement battery went belly up too.
I've been running the PC680 for about a year now, kept on a tender when not in use. The only issue I have is it won't start the car if my Spal fan is running. This tends to be a pain when moving the car around the paddock on hot summer days.

I'll probably switch back to a full size when this one goes out.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the PC860 in my daily aswell another one for my "racecar". The thing is with those battery's you litteraly have to strike gold, i've gone through 3 units with my daily before finding one that will hold its charge. The Unit in the "racecar" holds its charge perfectly for 4 years without a tender connected (i have a killswitch though).

To my opinion Odessey really does need too improve their quality control prior to distributing the units to the field.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone tried a regular Honda Jazz/Fit battery? They're only ~9 Kg and should be enough if you don't have a big stereo/etc.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am actually probably going to try one of these after my Odyssey dies. Better specs, similar size and weight:

https://www.amazon.com/Deka-Power-Sp.../dp/B0026H3CB4
http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0278.pdf
Old 06-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have seen people use MX-5 batteries too. They are lighter than OEM and are an OEM battery replacement. Another option to look at...
Old 06-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90civichbsi
I am actually probably going to try one of these after my Odyssey dies. Better specs, similar size and weight:

https://www.amazon.com/Deka-Power-Sp.../dp/B0026H3CB4
http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0278.pdf
I was actually considering one of these, or similar. I'm looking at PC680 alternatives now that are ~$60. I have a standard battery in my hatch and it's leaking something fierce...
Old 06-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Voltphreaks - Lightweight Battery Systems

These have been around for at least 8-9 years, and I've read some good reviews...

edit: ****! $900!.... or $650 for the smallest one...
Old 06-15-2016, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You gotta be out of your mind. Most of our shells are worth less than those batteries...
Old 07-20-2016, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just put Scorpion lithium iron phosphate battery (model 51913) in ITR (street/AX). 3.5 lb (24 lb weight reduction), $149 shipped from batterystuff.com. Sized for BMW K-Series motorcycles up to 1300 cc. Scorpion is made in China by a company that makes lithium batteries for other resellers. Scorpion is a brand specific to batterystuff.com. These are a good bit less expensive than competitive products from Shorai etc. Bstuff has been selling these for over 2 years and claims they have as good or better performance/life as Shorai (which they also sell). Granted, 2+ years is not all that long to draw conclusions... I found one post from a guy with this exact model in an S2000 that he ran without issue for one year, then he sold the car...

It's rated at 550 CA (crank amps, which is not the same as CCA, or cold crank amps). It has more than plenty of amps to start the R reliably at temperatures above 40 F. As you may know, lithium batteries have one major drawback compared with lead acid, which is cold start. Amperage drops off starting at about 40 F and is nil at 0 F. These are not recommended for anybody that will be starting the engine routinely in winter below +20 F. Also, to start the engine below 35 F, you need to run the headlights for a minute before hitting starter in order to warm the battery, which actually increases its amperage (kind of the opposite of lead acid in cold conditions).

Though these batteries have plenty of cranking amperage, they do not have the same amount of energy capacity (Ah) as the stock battery - about 25% of the stock battery, so drain/accessory usage has to be limited without charging.

I installed it 1 week ago and it's performing just like stock battery so far. Will update down the road...

Anybody else running LFP battery ?
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2016, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice writeup! keep us informed. You aren't charging it on a tender? you just use it like a standard battery?
Old 07-21-2016, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do have a tender, but will only need it if car sits for more than 2 weeks because off-engine drain is very low.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Small update on my Odyssey PC680MJT.

I had mounted mine in the stock location with the OEM tie down, and I now realize that it was a terrible idea. I had been running this setup for about a year and a half now.

The battery is quite a bit smaller than stock, and tightening the tie-down made it bend in such a way that it broke off during a track session, and the top part of the tie down lodged itself between the positive terminal and the firewall. The result was a small fire, which was easily put out and contained, but was pretty close to the fuel filter, so it could have been much worse.

The good news is that everything survived, except the for tie down (obviously) and the cable terminal ends that had fused/welded shut to the screws because they were shorted, so I had to break them off the terminal posts. The battery survived and is holding a full charge still. I also managed to clean up everything, but I am now getting the proper tie down from Odyssey, and will mount it to the stock tray: Odyssey Battery Hold down - HDK680

I contacted Odyssey, and they have confirmed that the MJT version fits this tie down.

As I cleaned everything up, I thought about dirty19's comment, as the screw holding the negative terminal post had come loose, probably due to vibration over time. I remember it was fine the last time I connected the battery, which was a few months ago. I can see where a loose terminal post could vibrate and break something off internally. I will make sure I keep a close eye on it now.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have run xs power and a kinetix light weight battery with no problems at all. i even drive the car in winter with no starting problems.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've tried several lightweight batteries with the same result "dead" tired of pushing the car around the paddock. Went back to full size, all is good
Old 08-17-2016, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just thought I would share a picture of the battery that is now properly mounted. You can see that part of the top plastic cover on the battery has melted in the fire. The battery has survived, though.

Once again, do not use a stock tie down with a smaller battery. It will break!
Old 08-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunately, IT rules won't let me switch to a smaller, lighter battery, so Duralast Gold Top it is for me.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm surprised to hear there's so many issues with such large batteries. I use an Everstart ES5L-BS or equivalent. It's freakin' tiny. Starts every time (I live in GA, so it never gets too cold), works fine with tender. About the only issues is they only last 2 or 3 years. But at $30 a pop, I don't see the $100+ batteries lasting much longer enough to actually be a better investment.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I am finishing up my 2nd year with my Odyssey battery. No issues so far (knocking on wood).
Old 09-21-2016, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FormulaIntegra
Unfortunately, IT rules won't let me switch to a smaller, lighter battery, so Duralast Gold Top it is for me.
Can't or won't? Hollow out the case of a full-size battery making it just a cover to slip over your actual lightweight battery. Wear eye and skin protection...
Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update

Been about 1 yr since installing Scorpion Li battery. Works flawlessly - never know it was 'different', except for more sluggish starting below 40 F. Only started below 40 once (around 38).

Great product for warmer climates.

Anybody else try Li battery yet ?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed an Odyssey PC545 in my S2000 recently and so far it works great

Quick Reply: Best light weight battery 2016