Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

B20/vtec build for Endurance racing on the cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default B20/vtec build for Endurance racing on the cheap?

Hello, I have a 93 CV hatch fully caged build for American Endurance Racing(AER) series. I was thinking of a k swap to get me into 200whp but I heard it's expensive. Therefore, since the B series motor are basically direct swap and I already have a LS motor right now, why not do a B20/vtec build to get 200whp?

Now the question is, what's the cheapest ways to build this motor that can last 8 to maybe 24 hours of racing for endurance racing? I know that the stock B20 have weak rods and pistons to really take advantage of the B16a head's high rev, therefore, I will need to replace it with forged rods and pistons. What brand out there are cost effective to achieve this?

The reason why I need to go cheap as possible is because I need to build 2 of the same motor as 1 will be a spare in an event it blows up during the race where I can easily do a motor swap!

Also, with this motor setup, would you think the Integra LS trans or a stock GSR with or without LS 5th gear will benefit this motor's power band?

I know endurance racing or any kind of racing is not cheap but I'm sure there is a way to be budget friendly to achieve this goal? Any one who knows the right combination can help out with some infos on what's the cheapest and best ways to go about this task would be great?

Thanks,
Old 09-29-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: B20/vtec build for Endurance racing on the cheap?

Originally Posted by mug23
Hello, I have a 93 CV hatch fully caged build for American Endurance Racing(AER) series. I was thinking of a k swap to get me into 200whp but I heard it's expensive. Therefore, since the B series motor are basically direct swap and I already have a LS motor right now, why not do a B20/vtec build to get 200whp?

Now the question is, what's the cheapest ways to build this motor that can last 8 to maybe 24 hours of racing for endurance racing? I know that the stock B20 have weak rods and pistons to really take advantage of the B16a head's high rev, therefore, I will need to replace it with forged rods and pistons. What brand out there are cost effective to achieve this?

The reason why I need to go cheap as possible is because I need to build 2 of the same motor as 1 will be a spare in an event it blows up during the race where I can easily do a motor swap!

Also, with this motor setup, would you think the Integra LS trans or a stock GSR with or without LS 5th gear will benefit this motor's power band?

I know endurance racing or any kind of racing is not cheap but I'm sure there is a way to be budget friendly to achieve this goal? Any one who knows the right combination can help out with some infos on what's the cheapest and best ways to go about this task would be great?

Thanks,
Keep the LS block and put the VTEC head on it (using a nice LS/VTEC kit) with nicer higher compression pistons in it. That's as cheap as it gets.

The rest is on assembling the engine properly.

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-13-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Keep there LS block and put the VTEC head on it (using a nice LS/VTEC kit) with nicer higher compression pistons in it. That's as cheap as it gets.

The rest is on assembling the engine properly.
So you think that the LS 1.8 will get me to the 200whp + good usable torque? Which head should I go with, B16 or GSR? Would I need to replace the rods as the LS ones are known to be weak?
Old 09-30-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mug23
So you think that the LS 1.8 will get me to the 200whp + good usable torque? Which head should I go with, B16 or GSR? Would I need to replace the rods as the LS ones are known to be weak?
you can go with either cylinder head, as either will perform the job eloquently. The only difference between the two is the the GS-R creates about a .3CR increase in static compression due to the quench area of the cylinder chambers.

The flange is a bit different as well, but you're fine with either head for your purpose.

For 200whp, the rod are not the weak point. Some may look at the rod BOLTS as a weak point , but that is subjective thinking. The rods are perfectly fine to use.

here's an example of my older GLSR build that's over 208whp for Russ racing, and has lasted about 8 years.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...es-na-2458563/

Last edited by TheShodan; 10-13-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say stick with the LS bottom end as well. I've seen people crack the cylinder walls on B20s. Ramping it up to 200 hp and running it for that long will almost guarantee a blown B20 motor. I do love the B20 but wouldn't trust it to hold up to track abuse. I agree with most of what TheShodan said. I would point out the reason he said rod bolts is because many people have said this is a weak point in the LS bottom end. Subjective maybe, but it seems many people are of this opinion and if your getting into the bottom end anyways it's relatively cheap insurance if your going to stick with the stock LS rods.