custom ram intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default custom ram intake

so i am designing a ram intake for my civic ef

heres the drawing of what it would look like

i will be making the duct out of carbon fiber as well as the intake tube (or possible composite tubes) and the lens will be plastic.

i started by using the stock glass and doing a cut however i decided on making a plastic lens for weight reduction and safety reasons.

although im doing a straight through ram intake, do you think a box style intake with a filter will be as effective? i would be using fiber glass or carbonfiber for the box behind the headlight.

any suggestions or recommendations on this?

here is the plastic lens

Old 03-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: custom ram intake

Have you seen any pressure data which validates the "ram air" affect? I'm fairly certain you would need to be going outrageous speeds for it to make a measure able difference, lemme find the study.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iceman makes (made?) something similar:

http://www.impactparts.com/iceman.htm

If it's me, I'd run it to an airbox with filter for anything other than a drag car.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10cjennings
Have you seen any pressure data which validates the "ram air" affect? I'm fairly certain you would need to be going outrageous speeds for it to make a measure able difference, lemme find the study.
no i haven't but i'm sure if even if frocing air doesnt do much having access to cooler air from outside would deff help compared to air from inside the bay.

Originally Posted by Xian
Iceman makes (made?) something similar:

http://www.impactparts.com/iceman.htm

If it's me, I'd run it to an airbox with filter for anything other than a drag car.
thanks for your input, i am considering a airbox seeing how my car will be mostly used for autox
Old 03-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even if it is for autocross only I think you could likely get away with a screen upfront, as long as it is getting trailered to the track. Autocross is like drag racing where there is no one in front of you to kick up dirt / rubber.

Ram air like that, despite not really having any 'ram' effects, should at the very least provide undisturbed cool air with the most direct path possible which should help keep the airflow in the intake laminar and moving quickly!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally speaking, I can get behind the "trailered autox car" doesn't strictly need a filter position. If it's me though, I'd still have an airbox/filter. Why? The power loss is going to be somewhere between negligible and zero but you'll still have a better ability to filter out dust in the air and stop rain from making it's way into the engine.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

I never had the car dyno'd, but I've been down that route. The butt dyno says that there isn't much of a difference. And, if I want to drive on the street, I don't have to worry about being hassled.

Now, I have a elbow coming off of the bottom of a OE airbox with hose going to the duct on the bumper.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You do this mod and you wont be elidable to be in any street classes for scca autocrossing as the have to be as originally delivered including all road-going componets including lights etc. just an fyi.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Egezzy
I never had the car dyno'd, but I've been down that route. The butt dyno says that there isn't much of a difference. And, if I want to drive on the street, I don't have to worry about being hassled.

Now, I have a elbow coming off of the bottom of a OE airbox with hose going to the duct on the bumper.
Very nice car