Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

13hr VIR Updates

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13hr VIR Updates

Taking advantage of the WiFi in the paddock... thanks VIR! About 4 hrs in. We're running 3rd in SM, but about 2 laps down. I think we're about 14th overall. There was a Daytona Coupe replica that got pole by over 10 seconds, but only lasted a little while. The overall is an ITS car with Rafael Matos and the Fitzgerald Brothers. I'll try to keep updating as I can! HART and THR are running '99 Civic Si's, they are both in the top-6 overall. The Mark Hein EP3 Civic is having some troubles, had to start from the back, been on/off track, ran out of gas, etc.... not sure where they stand.

I get back in less than 2hrs from now! Better get some rest.

Post if you have specific people you want to track and I'll try to find out for you.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 13hr VIR Updates (Jason Saini)

Awesome with the updates!!
Old 11-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 13hr VIR Updates (Honda318dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda318dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome with the updates!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default This just in....

I just got a call from Jason (the track WiFi is on the fritz)-

At 15 mins to go he's leading SM by 90 seconds and running 4th overall on a double stint. They ran the whole enduro on one set of brake pads and lost the starter motor somewhere along the way.

Then he locked up the brakes & looped it at Oak Tree, consequently stalling the car. At the same time Jason spun- Tom Long who had then taken over P1- broke a half shaft.

Tom Long retired to the pits. It took 3 laps for the marshalls to get Jason restarted. He finished P1 in SM and 7th overall. Wow- that's endurance racing.

-Juliann
Wishing I could have been there!
Old 11-05-2005, 08:05 PM

Of course now the WiFi is working awesome!

It was a great day for us, despite my attempts to lose it for the team. Not a good day for any of the Hondas... they all had mechanical issues, and none factored into the final top positions. Overall was won by an ITS Bimmer driven by the Bimmerworld boyz, Clay and Thomas. Then two SRF's... we would have been 4th overall without my spin. Doh.

A HUGE thanks to all the crew of the Team Timeless #45 Car, Reid, Donny, Jeff, Troy, Brian and everyone else... Awesome. I tried my best to lose it for these guys with my spin, but they won it for us with their lightning pit stops and perfect strategy!

All I can say is wow...
Old 11-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (Jason Saini)

We qualified the 01 ITA CRX on the pole and lead EVERY LAP for 12.5 hours.

At 9:45pm the LF hub broke in Oak Tree and stranded Chuck. We were leading the class by 6 laps at the time.
The Marshalls did a great job and got the car towed back to the paddock by 9:58. At 10:05 we were back out on track and took the checkered in 2nd place.

Yes, thats an unbelievable job by the crew, but it was still pretty hard to swallow.
Earlier we had a brake caliper failure and not only did Ted not crash, we repaired it without even losing the lead in class.
Such effort and dominance to come away with a 2nd place is a pretty hard pill to swallow, but thats what long distance endurance racing is all about.

The roughest part was that the car broke on THE LAP we were coming in for our last pit stop of the race. And we were going to check the bearings on that stop.
I keyed the radio and said "Bring it in Chuck"
And his answer was "GODDAMIT I LOST A WHEEL!!!"
It actually fell off as I was calling him in.

Dammit.

Scott, who is still tired.

PS - That Daytona was brutal, but our crew office pool was that it wouldn't make it an hour. I think it did 65 minutes, and finshed DFL with the fastest lap of the race by about 7 seconds.
It was a bad-*** hour though.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Catch 22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PS - That Daytona was brutal...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Fill us in. You talking about a Ferrari? Dodge?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (thawley)

I was too busy to look at it closely, but I was told it was a Factory Five replica with a 427. It looked to be doing at least 160 at the end of the front staight. It was brutalizing a World Challenge Civic. Lockwood's H1 car, and a Firebird WS6. It was leading by the entire length of the front straight at the end of lap #1.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thawley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thawley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fill us in. You talking about a Ferrari? Dodge?</TD></TR></TABLE>

factory five cobra daytona coupe. belongs to dan and harry elam
Old 11-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JoelG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoelG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

factory five cobra daytona coupe. belongs to dan and harry elam</TD></TR></TABLE>

really nice dark blue paint? I've seen it at a gas station near my house where a bunch of AI cars pop up for wrenchwork...
Old 11-06-2005, 07:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Catch 22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The Marshalls did a great job and got the car towed back to the paddock by 9:58. At 10:05 we were back out on track and took the checkered in 2nd place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What? Your crew changed a knuckle in 6-7 minutes? (thud)

They are ready for LeMans!

Congrats on a solid run!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JoelG)

IIRC from the hourly sheets, the Elam Daytona Coupe only lasted 58 minutes. It looked awesome, sounded awesome, and was f........ fast.

Also, Jason gives us (THR) too much credit. Our gutted SSC car + H&R suspension & AEM intake = ITS wasn't in the 10 ten until the last couple of hours. For comparison, HART's fully built [ex Motorola Cup - a few parts (Moton's, etc...) = ITS car] was over 200lbs lighter and 3+ seconds faster on track. Unless someone got DQ'd, I think we finished 4th in class.

HART had something break in the valvetrain. Hein's WC EP3 blew something, enough to go out in a huge plume of oil smoke all the way down the front straight and then park outside of T1. Lockwood's DelSol was fast; it was in the paddock for a while but they made it back out and I think they were running at the finish.

We had fun, which was the main point of us going with 6 drivers when 3 would have been better for lap times. Although we couldn't help wishing that that the TL wasn't at SEMA because it would have easily won overall with the way things shaked out.

Hopefully they'll have the official stuff up soon:
http://mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=106640
Old 11-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jpl95si)

One other thing... if your racing a car with stiff springs that has a gas tank design like the old Civics/Intergras with just 2 straps holding up the tank, you had better reinforce your fuel tank mounting straps. We got the car back from the body shop on Wens last week and we forgot to do that in our rush to convert it from Showroom Stock C to ITS prep. Pulling on the trailer after the 13 hour, one of the straps was broken & dangling. It may not have lasted another stint cause that would have meant another full fuel load! Don't put it off any longer.

Many thanks to John Hoover Honda (Danville, VA) for their facilities for getting the clutch swapped on Friday. Evidently, fire extinguishers & oil are not clutch friendly. This car had been rolled at the SCCA Runoffs and had a small oil fire which the corner workers doused. See that Dec 17th at 1pm on Speed.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:08 AM

Actually we went in the paddock twice. I had an off on the first 45 minutes (an over-optimistic pass attempt & going two wheels off), and it picked up a huge understeer & a slight vibration. I went in to change what I thought was a left front going flat, and it was still handling weird when I got out. We pulled the car in the paddock & checked over, found nothing after 10 minutes or so of looking & went back out. The only thing I can think that happened was some debris got picked up & stuck somewhere on the suspension & fell out later. When the car got back out it was running fine (but about 60th overall).

We spent the rest of the day playing catch-up, & by dusk got back up to 3rd in class & 11th overall. Then a wire broke on the TPS harness. SCCA decided not to pick the car up until the scheduled worker break (about 20 minutes before we could even start to work on the car), even though it stalled in a precarious position on the track.

Adam went back out with us somewhere around 30th and was absolutely flying in the dark (consistent 2:14-2:16 laps, and he passed the overall winner at least twice in his stint). With about two hours to go the Firebird had a wreck & the BMW blew a differential. That gave us third and the Firebird's crew managed to get the car back out (even with broken suspension) after only about 10 or so minutes. We finished the race 3rd in ITE and about 17th overall, trying to run down the Firebird.

The car worked very well, on average much faster than last year even with about 20 less horsepower. Our regular pit stops were awesome. The crew did a fantastic job, and they were a big part of the reason we were able to move up so fast (compared to last year, we we getting out of the pits an average of a minute faster).

We found two other potential problems to fix for the next big enduro (probably Homestead in April), and a couple of areas to improve on the car.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jpl95si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IIRC from the hourly sheets, the Elam Daytona Coupe only lasted 58 minutes. It looked awesome, sounded awesome, and was f........ fast.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That means it ran farther than last year's 13 hour when it ran the practice sessions and broke in one of the qualifying sessions I am pretty sure. It did not even make the green flag last year.

Sorry I missed the event this year. Next year hopefully it won't overlap with SEMA.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (CRX Lee)

the daytona factory five driven by Elam is super super fast in the NASA big bore races....

i believe that the word i heard around the paddock is that it is a NASCAR style small block bored out oversize.

the car looks awesome, but does look to be a handful to drive. it turns some blistering laps, then tends to either go off track or break down or something else?

looks and sounds incredible, and i love to see it run down the big $$$ iron now, once they get it reliable and finishing, watch out!

todd
Old 11-07-2005, 05:54 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Track rat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Track rat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What? Your crew changed a knuckle in 6-7 minutes? (thud)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes.
In the dark.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a good time was had by all. We'll see you next year...
K
Old 11-08-2005, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Knestis)

For whatever reason looks like they had trouble posting the info to mylaps so resent it:
http://mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=107164