Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

"I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/

Not trying to start any arguements, but I just don't get it...NASCAR that is.

I watch it ocationally when there isn't any other racing on, mostly just to hear the anouncers talk about the car setups and the racing because the racing itself is so bloody boring. Even 3 wide and lots of passing it's hard to get excited because everything seems to be happening in slow motion.
Left turns only, tracks only have 2 turns (well 4 turns), they don't race in the rain...so wheres the excitement.

Convince me that NASCAR is the best racing ever
Old 07-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (DSC240sx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSC240sx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Convince me that NASCAR is the best racing ever </TD></TR></TABLE>it is not.... but it deserves respect.

have you driven on a oval track at speed?
Old 07-25-2003, 01:44 PM

Jeff Gordon vs Tony Stewart.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:13 PM
New User

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (Eee Pee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eee Pee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jeff Gordon vs Tony Stewart.</TD></TR></TABLE>

racing Tahoes
Old 07-25-2003, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lots of crashes where people usually don't get hurt.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (sackdz)

i used to think nascar was crap till Montoya and Gordon did the car swap @ indy.. both were within a second of each other in the other persons car! that deserves respect~!
Old 07-25-2003, 02:54 PM
New User

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (Want2race)

I think the original post addresses the fundamentals of an actual oval race, not whether it requires skill or not. That's an entirely different subject.

I'm with you on this; I believe it is in slow motion. The cars may be going 160 mph, (but to allude to my modern physics class!) it all takes places in the same frame of reference where car A may be going 1 mph faster than car B to slowly creep past it on a straight. It's all so predictable, in that nothing else happens other than many of these slow creeping passes in a pack of cars all going the same speed through two turns and two straights. I seriously do not understand how one car prefer to watch an oval nascar race over any of its two road course rounds. Not only that, but how can one simply watch an entire oval race without difficulty? If they would be a quarter of their current length I would understand. I believe the only times I watched continuously oval races were the Indy 500 before CART and IRL split up. But as it stands, I guess I am one of those few weird people who would prefer to watch 1 car lapping a road course all by itself than 10 cars all lined up nicely side by side and taking turns in creeping past one another at 1 mph.

Oh and just to point this out again, nowhere in this post has the question of skill ever surfaced. That’s a separate matter. This was just about the principle of an oval race.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:04 PM
Swollen Member

YEah, NASCAR is boring as hell to watch. But it does deserve respect, both drivers and crew. Drivers sit inches off each others bumpers for hours, granted they dont turn much, and I sure as hell wouldnt want to do it, but im sure that it is very taxing, and for the crews, I went to school down in NC, Carolina Motorsports Tech Center, and it is primarily a NASCAR school ( I went to learn how to build roll cages) but those guys build the cars from SCRATCH. I know I was blown away when I walked in the door day 1. And after every race, they break welds, fabricate a new fender/door/rear quarter panel, out of sheet metal. and hey, if nothing else, 2x a year we get to watch them do road courses. This is a game my roomate (he was learnign to build motorcycles) and I made up down there, because being in that atmosphere, we felt obligated to watch. Get yourself many beers. Every time they say car, take a drink, if they say Taladaga (its such a funny name) unless of course they are at Taladaga, finish your drink. the race should be more amushing by the end. Cheers
Old 07-25-2003, 04:20 PM

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/

SicNA94TegGsR, that sounds like it would make nascar very fun

"have you driven on a oval track at speed?"
Lowes was the first track I ever drove on. Very fun and not as simple as it looks, definitely.

Hracer said it best " think the original post addresses the fundamentals of an actual oval race, not whether it requires skill or not. That's an entirely different subject."

Really, I should have said oval racing, not nascar...although the more amature short track racing tends to be a bit more exciting than nascar even though it's still just oval racing.

I just don't get how so many people can enjoy watching oval racing so much. One thing I just remembered is that I do find the in-car footage exciting. But overall I find the racing boreing.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, NASCAR to me is like watching flies f#ck, but I give Jeff Gordon major props and pimp status as a driver after reading about that Montoya 'event' and also his victory at that international race of champions (?) rally thingy. (forgive my vagueness, I don't ahve the R&T articles handy )

The guy can drive, and I guess I can't fault him for wanting to make big $$$ in NASCAR. But then, why not try to be the "Great American Hope" and try to get into F1??? Too much to hope for?

Jeez--he'd be up there w/ Dan Gurney if he ever pulled that one off!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (gamby)

Ok...and turn left here...and left here...and another left....

Right! what the hell do yall mean...right?
Old 07-25-2003, 06:46 PM
New User

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (jisu009)

I like NASCAR, those guys hae racing nuts to do what they do

I find it all very entertaining, I watcht the cars to see how they react to different situations, conditions, etc.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (urbanlegend21)

those who cant appreciate (im not saying enjoy) nascar simply arent racing fans or understand racing at all. i could go on as to why, but i wont bother.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (Tyson)

i think it would be fun to do, and demands respect.. as do all forms of racing and sport in general... but for it to be as popular in america as it is disgusts me
Old 07-25-2003, 08:28 PM

I wonder why people think you dont lift, corner or brake on an oval.
Oval driving requires very high levels of skill in high speed cornering and trail braking.
Not to mention, much of the emphasis on oval racing is racing other cars, not racing the track.

If you read the Skip Barber book, it talks about how the most challenging corners, (and hence the biggest speed/time difference between good drivers and great drivers) is speed into, through, and exiting a high speed corner.
Even novice drivers have about the same exit speed as skilled drivers in low speed corners.

I have in the past been a nascar un-fan. Recently I have begun to appreciate and enjoy it much more. (however the nonstop nasscar coverage that speed has still makes me )
Old 07-25-2003, 08:47 PM

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (elgorey)

to the guy wondering about jeff gordon going to F1, they already made him an offer. im pretty sure that it was frank williams who asked jeff what it would take to get him in a F1 car and he said that he is making almost 30 mil a year right now driving nascar. so it wouldnt be feasible for any team to give an unproven road course driver a 30 million dollar chance.

i have no doubt it my mind though that jeff gordon and tony stewart should be the american F1 drivers until we can atleast get some sort of real american financial and driver backing. people dont understand how good those 2 drivers are. i havesen them both race in midgets and about every other form of racing involving wheels. i once saw in sun prairie WI jeff gordon qualifying for the evening is a midget on a dirt oval. this is when he waws real young. probably about 20 or so. he came around for his second qualifying lap and he flipped the car a few times. everyone is looking all worried and alls you can see is him unbuckle himself and run across the track and across the infield and hop into his spare car. then he proceeded to set fast time.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (elgorey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elgorey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder why people think you dont lift, corner or brake on an oval.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The thread title was an actual quote from a nascar driver to his crew. Granted on most ovals this simply isn't possible but it's how they run one particular one. I thought it made for an interesting title, though now I see it wasn't well thought out as it didn't correctly represent the topic

Edit: I speal good

Modified by DSC240sx at 6:48 AM 7/26/2003
Old 07-26-2003, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My biggest beef with NASCRAP is that fast teams get "punished" by the rule makers as they will change rules mid-week if need be... EXAMPLE: "Oh, the Ford cars were too quick at Talledega, so we changed their front aero package for the superspeedway events."

This was done all in the name of a level playing field?!?

Part of the challenge of racing (as I understand it) is supposed to be the ability to get your car to go around the track faster than the other guy and be rewarded with a win, trophies, money, etc. Not punished.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
Old 07-26-2003, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (honda93)

Do any of you ever wonder WHY Jeff can make the $$ he does, while "profession" applied to rallying or road racing in the US means, "you have to get rich in another PROFESSION to afford to buy a seat"?

Ignorance = Bliss

K

EDIT - At a NASCAR race, the spectators know all of the drivers' names. At a road race, the drivers know all of the spectators' names...

Modified by Knestis at 1:29 PM 7/26/2003
Old 07-26-2003, 10:42 AM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (George Knighton)

You could put it that way. See "restrictor plate."

NASCAR has a much higher degree of commercialization than almost any sport out there.

Other forms of racing are close, as is European football, which features the team's sponsor's logo on the actual jerseys of the players.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:42 AM

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (Ross)

don't like it

oversized slot car jockies

Saw testing on a road course and still not interested

went through the pits and heard all kinds of bending of the rules

still not interested

Sat in one drove in one saw one win

still not interested

Listened to stagger, restrictor plates and Nascar spec body dimensions

still not interested

I think for the hot rod good old boys it's cool american cars racing on american tracks

But most of the cars look like an interpid drove high speeds through the 'tuner section' of pep boys

that and they have some of the sorryest *** excuses and most **** poor temper tantrums I've ever seen

Obviuosly they give people what they want

but then again .50 sold 5.2 million albums this year and Vanilla Ice was at the #1 spot for 8 weeks on my local radio station with ice ice baby
Old 07-26-2003, 12:31 PM

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (Mythos EF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mythos EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Obviuosly they give people what they want

but then again .50 sold 5.2 million albums this year and Vanilla Ice was at the #1 spot for 8 weeks on my local radio station with ice ice baby</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very well written, My perspective is the same.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:41 PM
Cal

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (FURBALL B-16)

Fantastic Pit Crews
Aggressive Driving
Little Political Bullshit
3 chassis options (tight field)
Drivers race
Huge Crashes that injure few drivers

After they re design the oval walls you will see even fewer injuries/deaths.

Cal - Who likes to watch a road course over an oval, but gives respect to NASCAR and can't take his eyes off the last 50 laps of big track races such as Talladegha
Old 07-26-2003, 04:01 PM
New User

Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (Knestis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Knestis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do any of you ever wonder WHY Jeff can make the $$ he does</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because he is able to sell what he does to many many people. Why? Because many many people buy into what he does. Just because a few people don't happen to buy into this nascar thing, it does not mean that these people are ignorant. It only does to those who don’t mind falling into the same category. Freedom of choice right? I chose watching one Speed Touring race over a whole nascar season.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/ (Hracer)

look, do we need another goddam NASCAR thread on honda-tech?

kirk, why you wonder jeff gordon is paid so well is crap. you know why, its a sponsor driven sport, and he wins. what the heck is it different than F1 or any other professional SPORTS series?????

and george, no, its not designed any differently than any other sport. all professional series are designed to attract spectators, theres no other way around it. making any othe kind of distinction is again crap. its like saying baseball is less of a sport than basketball because one attracts more spectators than others.

this thread is crap.

Quick Reply: "I just completed 30 laps without lifting once" :-/