Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

"in the zone"....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "in the zone"....

I was reading this thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=372056 about mentally prepare yourself in racing (road course/autocross) and this term “in the zone” came across several times. I kinda understand the idea of what “in the zone” means but it would be good if someone who has experienced this further explain what “in the zone” really is.
Some people also mention they have seen other people being “in the zone” and got the FTD of the day. Well obvious getting FTD not necessary mean the person is “in the zone” (maybe he has the fastest car/ setup compare to the others), but how do you visually see a person is being “in the zone”?

In the zone probably is some sort of feeling that you get when you are close to the limit of the car or yourself. I understand its not that easy describe a feeling but I just want to understand how does a person know if he is “into the zone”?

CS – who started to go on road course 2 years ago and wants to learn more about racing (and prepare himself for the summer)

Edit: forgot to put in to thread I was talking about in the 1st paragraph. thanks Mike. I printed that thread, very imformative.

[Modified by CS, 8:37 PM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Trial User

Default Re: "in the zone".... (CS)

We very recently had a long and interesting thread on this topic:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=372056

-Mike
Old 01-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "in the zone".... (grippgoat)

I've been in "the zone" several times. you forget the cars around you. you know their there but it doesn't bother you. you become one with the car (that sounds gay but it's the only way to put it) You have no need to check your gauges you just know what the car is doing and how it's behaving. when your in the zone, time doesn't matter, everything just works the way it should. when your done and back in the pits you find out that you just set a track record, or qualified 1st. Unfortinally it only happens during practice or qualifing never during the race or I'd own them all.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:31 PM

Default Re: "in the zone".... (CS)

I bought a book around christmas time that i've been reading. Its called "mental strategies to maximize your racing performance" by ross bentley and ronn langford. Its been a pretty good book so far. Basically what "in the zone" is when you are driving subconciously and you must train yourself to drive subconciously as much as you can while conciously you pay attention to other stuff while driving. I can't really explain it but i can relate to a lot of what is in it and would suggest buying it if you like reading stuff like this.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: "in the zone".... (ryan12321)

When I'm in the zone (which is rarely):
The gates seem 5 feet wider than they are
Everything seems to happen in slow motion
The car does EXACTLY what you want it to do when you want to do it

I disctinctly remember my vision was so clear and focused it was as if I were viewing the run from the hood of the car (if that makes any sense)

Sure wish I knew the secret to finding the zone everytime
Old 01-15-2003, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "in the zone".... (grippgoat)

We very recently had a long and interesting thread on this topic:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=372056

-Mike
Thank you captain obvious... perhaps you would be better off reading the persons post first, before replying!

Anyway, The Zone is a period of Mental focus that is comprised of heighted sense ability and mental aquity (spelling?). You don't just feel your car move but you can hear it, taste it, smell it and see it.

I disctinctly remember my vision was so clear and focused it was as if I were viewing the run from the hood of the car (if that makes any sense)
Exactly!

you become one with the car, you have no need to check your gauges you just know what the car is doing and how it's behaving. when your in the zone, time doesn't matter, everything just works the way it should.
Quote of the day right there!
When I'm in "the zone" I am living outside my body. My mental energies are not limited to my physical body and I am capable of controlling inputs and several levels at the same time. I stop thinking and start doing. Everything is natural and problems are sovled by the mind instaneously instead of having to be thought about. You can literally see a small distance into the future when your in "the zone"

The question is as much as what is "the zone" but it should rather be, how can I get in "the zone". Or, What did I do last time that put me in the Zone? Was I well rested or was is the meditation before hand?

Basically, What allowed me to shut down my conscious and let my sub-conscious drive for me?
Old 01-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "in the zone".... (rice_classic)

Edit: forgot to put in to thread I was talking about in the 1st paragraph. thanks Mike. I printed that thread, very imformative.
Perhaps many a poster would benefit from reading the post first

This whole zone thing to me is kind of misleading. It seems to be tossed around here like having a vision quest or something. Whether you can meditate your way there or not or calm or breathe or whatever seems to miss a huge chunk of how I see racing in general. It is a task (like life) where the learning experiences are never ending so if you "zone" tomorrow seems of little consequence to your performance in the grand scheme of things. Here's my point; if you find said zone, isn't it only a "zone" relative to your current driving abilities? Are you better/faster in this "zone" in 2000 - if you gain an immeasurable amount of experience between then and now - then you are in 2003? I'd think "that" zone is pretty meaningless once you have added new tools to your toolbag. After all, most here seem to suggest that a zone is comprised of some heightened sense of awareness or an increased speed that one processes incoming data or a more perfected sense of timing. Well, IMHO, all that stuff comes with time too and all those things zone or not will go out the window if new data, data you have never had to encounter, enters the picture. I'd think that anyone at any time would experience the above qualities but that is only commensurate with their skill level - no one here suggests this zone elevates them to be able to handle stuff they don't inherrently know how to deal with right? You guys have fun in your zone, I'm gonna go back to the track and capture more data cause I got a long wait until this zone thing is going to make a hill of beans difference in comparison to what my goals are.

JMO and not meant as an attack on anyone who likes the zone - shoot, maybe I have never had a "real" zone and that is my problem
Old 01-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "in the zone".... (phat-S)

well im have never raced auto-x manly cause once i got my car it was always in progress and up here in WA at school its really hard.
but int he whole shceme of thing with the "ZONE" i use to ski race and i did competitive fighting for about 2 years. untill both of those carrears were ended with a back injury and with the ski raceing thing you see alot of people on tv for example they have the course set in there head they could tell you every lil thing about about it. going down it in perfect for is first nature to them and they have no other thoughts in there head. now as phat-S stated every one skill level is different am not saying every one can actually perform these actions flawless but they have it in there head.
and in the fighting that i did. it was just clearing your mind and not thinking about anything. even if the kid i was going up against was fast i didn't care. befor every fight i thought i was the fastest hardest hiting fighter in the ring. you kinda have to present your self like that too. some times i got flak for being cocky but ooo well. i did very well my first year competeing agaist nationaly ranked competitors i placed 3rd out of 15. and my second year i should have one but there was some bullshit envolved.
but anyways in the zone for racing i think would just not woring about the other cars cause there times don't mean **** if your the fastest then who gives a **** u beat um all. that the kind of mentality that you have to have i think. I mean with the rules and such it seems like every thing is fare. so it comes down to you. the zone is not a dream or vision its a state of being. its just you the car and the track you u need to get through that track as fast as possible jut my opinion
Old 01-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "in the zone".... (slammed_93_hatch)

i'm with phat-s on this one. half of the descriptions of "in the zone" i've seen were just someone being lucky enough to not have anything go wrong during the race. when i'm at the track i don't concern myself with "getting in the zone" or any of that bullshite. my goal is to get my *** focused on what i have to do to run the course ahead at maximum speed. my performance is directly related to how well i've focused on the necessary things and ignored the unnecessary.

nate
Old 01-15-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Re: "in the zone".... (solo-x)

yep it is called sports......."in the zone"
Old 01-15-2003, 05:31 PM

my performance is directly related to how well i've focused on the necessary things and ignored the unnecessary.
Dude, you are exactly describing what is meant by being "in the zone". It is simply being totally focused on what you are doing, without being distracted by irrelevent stimulii, both external and internal.

Ideally, you are in such a state of focus/concentration that all parts of your mind and body are doing exactly what they need to do and nothing else. It is in such a state that people are usually able to perform their best.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:03 PM
New User

Default Re: "in the zone".... (SIRX)

I've been in "the zone" several times. you forget the cars around you. you know their there but it doesn't bother you.
Not to single anyone out by any means, but I have read this several times before. We all may have different names for it ("da zone!"), but if there's one thing that should be in common for all of us is that ya might not want to totally forget about the cars around you if you're in a race... Just a thought. Ok, sorry I intruded, back to the discussion at hand.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:47 PM
VTEC

Default Re: "in the zone".... (Hracer)

Have you ever had a great day where everything just seemed to be going great? You just feel soooo happy for no apparent reason? That's being in the zone...listen to Tony Robbins. He can help you apply positive attitude in your live to maximize the goods and minimize the negative aspects of your life. This will carry on into other parts of your life, like racing...
Old 01-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i'm at the track i don't concern myself with "getting in the zone" or any of that bullshite. nate
I hope you realize that your comment:
my performance is directly related to how well i've focused on the necessary things and ignored the unnecessary.
It describes this comment:
I stop thinking and start doing.
And this comment:
when your in the zone, time doesn't matter, everything just works the way it should.
And this comment:
The gates seem 5 feet wider than they are
Everything seems to happen in slow motion
The car does EXACTLY what you want it to do when you want to do it

To be honest with you, "to do what you have to do to get around the course at maximum speed", would require you to be more "in tune" with your focus and concentration. You NEED to heighten your senses if you ever plan on competing. If you deny the preverbial "zone" then the other person who embraces it will be passing you. The Zone doesn't ONLY refer to racing but to life. If you "in the zone" with everything you do in relation to your goal will be most likely to succeed in any given group.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:57 PM
New User

Default Re: "in the zone".... (VTEC)

Have you ever had a great day where everything just seemed to be going great? You just feel soooo happy for no apparent reason? That's being in the zone...listen to Tony Robbins. He can help you apply positive attitude in your live to maximize the goods and minimize the negative aspects of your life. This will carry on into other parts of your life, like racing...
lol Hey thanks for the letting me know! I don't know him as of yet, but I'll give Tony Robbins a call whenever I feel down and/or depressed.

Since we're talking general philosophy, I'll chime in with my bit: You're happy only if you want to be happy. It's all in your head. If you're not happy, then become happy. If you don't want to become happy, it's no one else's fault. Give Tony a call.

Now back to this mysterious zone.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: "in the zone".... (Hracer)

D, has been in the zone while playing GT3....patiently waits for the real life experience.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:01 AM

Default Re: "in the zone".... (dsludefosho)

Being in the 'Zone" is using everything you've learned correctly all at the same time and through a whole event start to finish. Having good luck usually is just a one time run thing.
I also think that when you break a threshold on driving your car it can feel quite like the 'Zone'. Like the first time you felt the wieght of your car transfer and could use it to your advantage you thought "oh that's what that feels like"

Im rambling its late...